lost a cable

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lost a cable

today I was rodding I'll mainline got the line open when I was removing the cable back into the drum only 50 feet came back so I lost a 50 foot section I use the camera pinpointsx where is the end of the cable was about 40 foot in the main.located it seen a small separation gave him an estimate to dig it up and repair homeowner says no leave it in there I looked at him like are you serious ...I usually change my cables every 6 months mind you this cable had no kinks but it snapped off where the male and female connectors are at the weld..

Why would you charge him to remove your defective cable? Its not like the cable came out of the pipe joint. Can't you grab it with a retriever auger?

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I would never leave a cable in a line, even if they refused a dig or additional work.

Comment

There is a completely separate tile where the cable went through. Funny thing is that I didn't feel any resistance or binding that would cause my cable to snap..tried to use the retrieving cutter with no success..I'm not to crazy about using my camera and cable in the line at the same time to help get it out..I explained to him that he needs a repair because the sewer is broken..but he's a slum lord ...the place is in shambles as it sits ..I'm not trying to justify my actions in this matter..I've NEVER left a cable in a line before.but for me to go through the added expensive of spending additional time without a positive result it's kind of pointless. .he doesn't want to fix the sewer even if I get my cable out..I'm going to get my cable back tomorrow or at least try..the camera doesn't lie...you guys know that..but the cable wasn't that old or damaged in any way..how could the winding just snap like that?

Comment

I had a near new K-60 straight auger & retrieving auger both snap at the spot welds within a week without obvious rime or reason.

Firstly, if you haven't been paid - get paid ASAP, especially with dodgy landlords. What size retrieving auger did you try & how deeps the drain? If you can't extract with retrieving auger & its under 4 feet DIG IT, cut in, remove, patch or replace 1-2 ft section & don't work for this guys again. All the best mate & don't loose any sleep over it - stuff like this happens to all of us.

Comment

Its been a known problem with the k60 augers breaking at the weld. I had 4 break in 1 day.

my solution has been the Rick Reverse Auger. Its simple to make and has lasted me hundreds of uses without breaking. Its also capable of being bent in a 45 to allow it to clean larger lines. Ive used it in 1.5 " / 37mm lines to cut roots in a 4" / 100mm line. The 45 straightens out Iin the small, pipe and springs back to a 45 in the larger pipe.

might not be as famous as A.J. Hackett, but my reverse auger has as much spring as his bungy cord.

Rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

A nightmare we all hope to avoid. My sympathies.

This was 7/8 cable off the K-60? Let loose at the connector?

Makes me want to go out and lube all my connections.

I have folks sign a waiver especially on the old stuff.

Good luck Buddy.

Comment

It was his drum machine. broke off at the connector.

k60 cable is pretty fool proof. I use mine forward and reverse all the time. Try that with a drum and see what happens.

Rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

We got hammered with a crazy storm...so this one's on the back burner. .lol

Comment

Working...
                X