No announcement yet.

Warthog question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome stuff. I'll place an order & have it shipped to NZ POST's USA forwarding address. When you were using you're 4.5GPM machine, what size hose did you run?

Comment

I'm using ridgid's 3/8 hose with 1/4 NPT threads. I really don't like it in comparison to the slither hose. I went with 3/8 hose to deal with the pressure loss of 1/4. I found the higher pressure cuts better but the hose doesn't go as far cause it's so heavy. Going around multiple bends sucks as well with the 3/8. Also the 3/8 doesn't bend like 1/4 so the root ranger is starting to wear on the 3/8 hose. I'm really floored no one is using the 5/16 jetter hose here in the states for the 4-6 gpm jetters. On paper, it's the perfect hose.....way lighter, much less pressure drop. BTW, when you call affordable tools, tell Amanda that ben from cali sent you.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Switched the pump out on my 11-GPM 2500PSI to a 8-GPM /4000-PSI. I'm trying out the 3/8 P****ha - might test 3/8 Scheiffer next, much lighter than steel wire hose, but not as flexible around traps. The flexibility of the 5/16 Scheiffer will hopefully impress, but just be careful not to kink it when unwinding or winding back up.

Your new machine's is going to send this stuff screaming down the line to the blockage - like you say, it should be the perfect combination.

Comment

Hey gear can u run a 1/4" warthog on 4000 psi @4gpm? Or just stick with the r r...and also what kind of foot pedal do u use? I bought one it hasn't came yet but I was looking at a general wire brand pedal...looks intriguing
          Last edited by sewermonster85; 07-13-2014, 11:11 PM.

Comment

See post #10 of this thread. Foot pedal I use is the yellow suttner foot pedal.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

• sewermonster85
              sewermonster85 commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep...I should of read that before I commented...lol

save your money on the 1/4'' warthog. the biggest waste of $450.00 i can remember.

ridgid makes a good foot pedal. fp-1 but it's only rated to 3000#. although i've swapped out the valve for a 4000# setup.

Rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Rick,

I have a 1/2" Warthog. Too big for a lot of jobs. What about the 3/8"? Of course my jetter size is 18 gpm/4000 psi.

David

Comment

I too have 3- 1/2" 18 gpm warthogs. But as you've found out, 1/2" hose is pretty stiff for lots of bends in 4" pipe.

so yes, my 3/8" 12 gpm warthog gets the most use with 3/8" hose. Make sure to keep ontop of the oil Iin the 3/8" wt nozzle or you'll overspin it.

Rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

5/16 hose just came in.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

What you think about its flexibility? I thought it was very good.

From what my mate said, you just have to ensure you know its laid out straight if you pulled it all out of the drain before winding back to the reel. Let me know what you think of it once you have had a chance to use it - would be very interested in your opinion on it Vs your 3/8 Pirahna (if thats what you were still using before the 5/16 arrived).

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      I too have 3- 1/2" 18 gpm warthogs. But as you've found out, 1/2" hose is pretty stiff for lots of bends in 4" pipe.

so yes, my 3/8" 12 gpm warthog gets the most use with 3/8" hose. Make sure to keep ontop of the oil Iin the 3/8" wt nozzle or you'll overspin it.

Rick.

Rick,

Does the 1/2" warthog need oil maintenance?

David

Comment

Originally posted by Dhal22 View Post

Rick,

Does the 1/2" warthog need oil maintenance?

David

Never mind. I found the maintenance pdf.

Comment

Originally posted by DATS View Post
                          What you think about its flexibility? I thought it was very good.

From what my mate said, you just have to ensure you know its laid out straight if you pulled it all out of the drain before winding back to the reel. Let me know what you think of it once you have had a chance to use it - would be very interested in your opinion on it Vs your 3/8 Pirahna (if thats what you were still using before the 5/16 arrived).
                          Why is that?

Flexibility seems alright but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I picked up the 200' of 5/16 and 150' of 3/8 and the 3/8 is noticeably heavier. I gotta put a pressure gauge on the new jetter and will give you a full report.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Sorry Ben, what I mean was - when he first got it, he laid it out to wind onto a reel, but didn't notice a couple of loops still in the hose. He got the hose caught as he was winding onto the new reel & one of the loops wound tight & kinked over. Technically you're not supposed to use the hose again until you cut the hose back behind the kink as the hose strength is now compromised at that point - but who actually does?

Comment

Oh right, I've had that happen before. So I used the 5/16 today for the first time with my 4.5 gpm 3000 psi jetter and root ranger. Was outstanding but I want to run it through the paces before giving it the stamp of approval. I went through a 2 way c/o and immediately hit a clay wye and was a straight shot to the city main 92' away. Had 9 root intrusions and took 2 hours start to finish.

Pros
                              -feels just like 1/4" in regards to weight.
                              -Easy to rotate root ranger. always had a hard time with 3/8. Probably the biggest reason most hate the RR.
                              -Didn't come out the reel as I stepped on and off the foot pedal. Pretty much stayed in place on the reel which was amazing.
                              -80' out and I let go of the hose and it was pulling itself at about a foot a minute on it's own.

Cons:
                              -unproven in regards to durability. the hose feels so soft....almost like rope, that I wonder how it'll do against sharp corners. Plus I got word that schiefer had issues with their 1/2" jetter hose leaking past the braid. Let's hope this one does better.
                              -expands alot. I had 80' in the line and put the 65' mark next to a joint line and stepped on the foot pedal....the 65' mark moved forward almost a foot. when I used to use the 1/4 p****ha hose, I would line the root ranger about 3" in front of the roots. With the 5/16 hose I lined the RR about 2" before the roots and let expansion carry it forward. Worked great but took a minute to get used to.
                              -no swivel joint on an end so you gotta be careful otherwise you'll mess the hose up. I consider this a "pro" though because I can flip the hose over when the front end gets worn out.

Ridgid if you're listening.....you need to carry this hose with the KJ3100. I have the 3/8x1/4 hose that comes with the KJ3100 and this 5/16 hose is way better.
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                              X