Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amen^^^brotha Rick

Comment

Now the rest of the story. What I posted above i stick too100%.

now here's what stinks. I just watched your 2011 video. Something doesn't jive. their spartan camera sucks and it's fogged up, but a blind man can see these are not the same lines. What happened to the pvc we see at 41' and not in the 2014 video. Is it 2 different locations the video was shot from. Please explain as I don't trust the 2011 tape right now.

Rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Hi Rick, That's a good observation and I figured that might be confusing. Both videos were shot from the same starting location. The 2014 video length measurement is definitely not accurate. It was showing roughly double the distance traveled based on my knowledge of the pipe routing and measurement with a tape measure (at least the portion under the basement floor). The video camera technician had me operate the camera while he used his locator and I noticed the scale was way off my actual movements. Also, the PVC pipe portion of the line is well past the obstruction. I was there in 2011 when that video was shot and this is definitely my sewer. Oh, I just remembered this as another verification of the location of the obstruction, the plumber said there was a little more than 30' of snake cable in the sewer line. This would put the end of the snake just on the far side of that mass if the measurement in the 2011 video was correct, whereas according to the 2014 video, ~30' of snake would be 20' short of the obstruction. I just tried to count the joints in the cable to verify the length but the video moves too fast.
        Last edited by djmjd; 08-04-2014, 12:55 AM.

Comment

• Plumber Punky
          Plumber Punky commented
          Editing a comment
          measurements aside. the problem is located (in the 2011 video) where there is some white particulate/plaster looking stuff and there also appears to be a series of close bends. agree that the spartan cam sux.

I'm sorry but that Spartan camera sucks!!!poorest picture quality I've seen in a camera...heck my old Gator cam is way better than that..lol.ridgid makes the best cameras ...period..those things are tanks
        Last edited by sewermonster85; 08-03-2014, 09:12 PM.

Comment

In the 2011 video look for a little white toilet paper looking mass on the bottom left of the pipe just after the double elbow (1:30 - 1:36 at ~31.5 feet into the pipe in the 2011 video) - that's where the obstruction is now (at an indicated 50 feet in the 2014 video).
          Last edited by djmjd; 08-04-2014, 12:06 AM.

Comment

Play it safe and get a guy with a jetter like Rick says with a forward rotor. If I was in your shoes I would go to the local Plumbing shop and ask the Plumbers for a guy with a kick but jetter who isn't to expensive, like an owner operator. I love to get other Plumbers cables un stuck.
            There are also really good plumbers who sound like they know what they are doing who would suggest putting in another cable. Sounds like a recipe for disaster when a jetter is a no brainer.

Comment

• toolaholic
              toolaholic commented
              Editing a comment
              great advice, take it .

that looks like Rigid 5/8 sectional cable no wonder he got stuck in a main line, wrong cable and wrong cutter for that job. You could pull the cable out with a com-a-long but you would still have the obstruction. I would run a 11/4 cable and a arrowhead cutter to nibble the clog until I could pull the stuck cable out. Alas I don't have a jetter or I would follow Plumber Ricks suggestion.

Comment

I tend to agree with the idea of a jetter being the best option. I have been successful, or lucky at least, at retrieving stuck cables with another cable. It is a risky venture though and unless you have experience or lots of luck, go with the jetter. Once, I had to get a cable unstuck that was drilled into the ground. A contractor for got to hook up one of the branch lines and when we tried to snake it after it backed up troubles started. After trying everything from come along, winches, and a truck to pull it out we ran the cable in to a ridged 300 threader and that baby had the torque to get it to spin. Then it was just a matter of hand pulling to get it out.

Comment

This was several days ago. I was curious as to the outcome of this problem.

Comment

From watching the video it looks like it would be an easy mater to get the cable out. I would run another cable beside it with a small cutter head and cut it lose. I have done this a lot over the last 50 years and never had any problem getting the other cable tangled. I have a set of 5/8' jaws on my 1500 ridgid that I Put on to get the cable out sometimes. I don't think I would use my jetter on this one it looks like a quick removal if you can get someone with the right equipment. and experience. A few years back I was in an article in the cleaner mag. Where I removed cable with a jetter and if you have a good place to go in it works great. But I would say on this one it would be over kill. I just cant see it being that hard to get it out.

Comment

Working...
                  X