Howdy gents! I've had a helluva last two weeks hot desert sun and tough jobs. Not much time to post. So I ran into my first stuck (and I mean first stuck) cable last week with the K-60. Mostly because of my schedule I had to leave it for a few days but the house was empty so they were ok with it. I wound up clearing the blockage at 160'ish with 7/8" cable. When I went to retrieve it, it just wasn't gonna happen. The machine was making noises like I've never heard before, it would turn off then run in reverse on its own, no matter how much i tugged and I pulled it just wasn't coming out. After a few hours of this I had to call it and get to some other jobs. My first option (I was t prepared to dig up the main that easily) was welding a piece of 7/8" sectional to a 11/16" connector and try using the spartan 2001 and torque it out....well, even this didn't work and only kinked a sectional cable really bad (looks like I finally got that sacraficial Ricks reverse auger piece now, lol). So after looking for a cleanout a little closer to the curb with no luck, and after mucho hrs. Of probing the sewer line out, I had to call my former shop to bring out the camera. The bossman sent out a rookie told him to just me run the camera as its the same stuff I used to use while there (they now have 3 MyTana large reels but two were out for repair and this one only had 90' after a few terminations, I'm glad I'm going with Ridgid) So after maxing out the camera (remember I'm out 160') I pinpointed the cleanout I was looking for (I was 2' away when I stopped probing, figures). So the first issue was a huge root mass on my cutter that locked it up. I proceeded to run the jetter and then recamera at which point all the root was gone and my cable began to free spin (thank goodness) But the cable would still not come out (it would free spin, but it wasn t budging). While running the camera here's what I noticed. From my access point to the blockage was 165', the line had 7' of drop and 9 (45*) bends and 3 (90*) bends with three separate quick drops and tapers of about 2' each. This house took the blue ribbon of a roller coaster of pipe. So after consulting with Ben (gear junkie), sorry Rick I didn't have yur phone number. I ran a bunch if dish soap down the line and used a piece of unistrut to allow the cable something solid to self feed out. Well, after 2 more hours of this....I got all my cable removed and I can still say that I've never lost a cable, or had to dig line out in all my years of running drain equipment! I don't know if this happened as a result of the limits of the K-60, I'm sure the 2001 would've had a difficult time as the amounts of bends was just flat out rediculous. Between this job and the very next one where I spent 3 days under a house digging up sewer main 2' deep with a small hand gardening shovel at which point the customer flipped at the bill because I couldn't tell him how far I needed to go to get to new pipe.........I need a camera big time! I'm just making life more difficult on myself! What a learning week it has been
No announcement yet.
Stuck cable for the first time!