No announcement yet.

RIDGID, PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS TOO!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like this design. I think probably because, like tenniselbow, I've never liked pistol machines. I use a go15 not unlike the old roto-rooter posted in the thread for 1/4 inch cable.

I've thought a little bit about this and I think a big reason for the divergent opinions on this is whether or not you like auto-feed. If you do, then a pistol grip with auto-feed is great, and there is no reason for this contraption. But, like the designer, I don't like auto-feed. And if you want a hand free to work the cable then the whole weight is hanging from your other wrist.

I think there is a place for this design. I'd buy one and if the guys liked it I'd buy a couple more.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
      I like this design. I think probably because, like tenniselbow, I've never liked pistol machines. I use a go15 not unlike the old roto-rooter posted in the thread for 1/4 inch cable.

I've thought a little bit about this and I think a big reason for the divergent opinions on this is whether or not you like auto-feed. If you do, then a pistol grip with auto-feed is great, and there is no reason for this contraption. But, like the designer, I don't like auto-feed. And if you want a hand free to work the cable then the whole weight is hanging from your other wrist.

I think there is a place for this design. I'd buy one and if the guys liked it I'd buy a couple more.
      Would you be interested in trying one out Ace?

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post

Yes I got carpel tunnel in my left wrist from running a Marco drill snake, no problems now since it has been over 12 years since I ran one for a living
        JERRYMAC
        E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
        CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
        FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
        SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

The K45AF is the most ergonomic handheld drain cleaner I've ever used. Thanks to asstyme for all his glowing reviews.

Comment

Originally posted by Drain Pro View Post
            The K45AF is the most ergonomic handheld drain cleaner I've ever used. Thanks to asstyme for all his glowing reviews.

It's not perfect but by far the best available.

Comment

...one of my favorite applications for this design!! No foot-switching while on your knees, no back bent over the tub...while on knees, no more knees!, no kneeling and struggling to hold up the pistol-grip! No squatting in a dirty tub! I simply sit on the edge of the tub, what little bending over is done is done with the aid of the grip (supports my upper body while leaning over to extend cable into overflow...like a cane). If it takes a long time, no problem, no sweat, no pain on knees or back. I can even set the machine in a semi-full, dirty tub and still use it to get it done.

Comment

Originally posted by tenniselbow View Post
                ...one of my favorite applications for this design!! No foot-switching while on your knees, no back bent over the tub...while on knees, no more knees!, no kneeling and struggling to hold up the pistol-grip! No squatting in a dirty tub! I simply sit on the edge of the tub, what little bending over is done is done with the aid of the grip (supports my upper body while leaning over to extend cable into overflow...like a cane). If it takes a long time, no problem, no sweat, no pain on knees or back. I can even set the machine in a semi-full, dirty tub and still use it to get it done.

I too sit on the edge of the tub while runnining one of my K-45AF's. Holding it with two hands is not a problem and the autofeed is the industries best

If my pistol rodders didn't have the autofeed I wouldn't be running any of them, I would choose a different style machine.

What you have done is better than without but why not just break down and get a K-45AF???
                Last edited by AssTyme; 01-11-2017, 02:34 PM.

Comment

• Cable or root
                  Cable or root commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Because he thinks this website is for marketing his design

This thread is on life support

Comment

Originally posted by tenniselbow View Post
                  I have one of these machines and it's really an awesome design and completely different then anything else out there. Because of the leg, you don't have to support any weight so manually handling the cable is no big deal at all. Mine has the locking chuck which allows for easy grinding into CI simply by tilting the machine forward. Also keeps it from flipping in the drum. IMO there's really no really big disadvantage to this machine but it's a great compromise between a pistol rodder and a full size sink machine (such as a K50 with a drum attachment).
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post

I too sit on the edge of the tub while runnining one of my K-45AF's. Holding it with two hands is not a problem and the autofeed is the industries best

If my pistol rodders didn't have the autofeed I wouldn't be running any of them, I would choose a different style machine.

What you have done is better than without but why not just break down and get a K-45AF???

AssTyme you use/like your A/F because you're busy holding your hand-held with two hands. If you didn't have to hold your hand-held with two hands you'd realize that pushing/pulling even a 75' cable is a breeze, quicker too. We use A/F so we can hold the machine with two hands. We don't use A/F because we need help pushing/pulling the cable.

I don't use a K-45 A/F because there's a better way now. This design completely trumps all pistol-grips (A/F or not), trumps the "handy" stands (not really handy at all) designed to make pistol-grips easier, and trumps the small floor machines also designed to be an alt to the crappy pistol design. It's simpler, less machinery/maintenance, less weight, cost and space, and easier to use. My child can handle this design.
                    Last edited by tenniselbow; 01-19-2017, 03:00 PM.

Comment

• fixitright
                      fixitright commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Send me one and I'll try it out.

• tenniselbow
                      tenniselbow commented
                      Editing a comment
                      LOL...for a thread "on life support" you sure check in a lot.

AceSewer said he's interested in trying one. Him and Gear Junkie will give honest reviews. You'll be able to buy one soon enough if you want.

I used to use the K39AF....which is the same as the K45AF(if not, please let me know) and dislike having to hold it so much, it came off the van and I bought the drum adapter for the K50. I think this a better option.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

To each his own I guess... I like the snout of the pistol rodder as close to the pipe opening as possible, sometimes even touching it on the way out to keep the mess down. This is not possible with your one legger. On the way in the cable always runs between my thumb and index finger so I get a feel for what the cable is doing.

I guess I'm not understanding why your one legged pistol rodder with no autofeed is better than running a K-45AF??? Does that thing even fit underneath most bathroom/kitchen vanities while still being able to operate it? They both take two hands to run.
                      Last edited by AssTyme; 01-12-2017, 03:05 PM.

Comment

• gear junkie
                        gear junkie commented
                        Editing a comment
                        My issue with the AF model is to grab the autofeed, I always hit my forearm on the spinning drum. This doesn't happen with the Monopod rodder(not sure what to call it). Also when running the AF rodder.....I'm usually on my knees with my arms extended holding a 15lb machine....hurts my back.

I've had it under a sink and kitchen sinks are no problem.....however lavs are tight but with my undersink contraption, it extends the drain out some so the monopod rodder is actually on the floor.....and the leg is adjustable....if I recall about 3".

You can put the nose directly into the drain if you want. What I found to be easier is to keep the hand handling the cable still and rocking the machine back and forth to feed in and out.

now keep in mind I got the beta test version.....it was more to see the concept of the monopod design and not the final quality of the machine. The design is solid and well thought out. Once the other parts get figured out, it'll be a winner for sure.

• tenniselbow
                        tenniselbow commented
                        Editing a comment
                        If there's anybody in the Twin Cities area I've got another beta version at REMS Tools headquarters. It needs to be sent back to me but if anybody in the area wants to test it they can go pick it up. The drum that's on it is lousy so I'd suggest you replace with your favorite. Message me if you're interested.

I just don't see the appeal of that thing. If you want something more ergonomic then buy a sink machine that sits on the floor. K45AF is super easy to use and is king of handheld drain cleaners, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
                        I guess I'm not understanding why your one legged pistol rodder with no autofeed is better than running a K-45AF??? Does that thing even fit underneath most bathroom/kitchen vanities while still being able to operate it? They both take two hands to run.
                        ...a lot of people don't "get it" until they physically feel the difference. I had a hunch but didn't really know how effective it would be until I actually used the first prototype. I thought the demo on youtube might help people to understand the concept but few even get that. We've polled the individuals who've used both the pistol-grip and the new design. One of my main questions is, "how much less energy do you feel you expend with this vs the pistol-grip?" In general the response is roughly 3/4 less work or energy out-put which is in line with my personal experience. Like Gear Junkie stated, you don't have to support any weight so manually handling the cable is no big deal at all. Once you don't struggle keeping the machine horizontal it frees up your other hand to finesse the cable, stay cleaner, use less electricity, seems to go quicker too. Jobs are crazy easy for me now to the point when we get calls I like to take them before I give em to my guys. And I've never really have an issue with small vanities/cabinets; in fact I've found that the tighter the access the more helpful it is.

Never did ask you Gear Junkie; if you had to quantify the energy out-put with this design vs the pistol grip what would you say?

Comment

Originally posted by Drain Pro View Post
                          I just don't see the appeal of that thing. If you want something more ergonomic then buy a sink machine that sits on the floor. K45AF is super easy to use and is king of handheld drain cleaners, IMO.

Click image for larger version

Name:	571397.png
Views:	1
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	714085

Last edited by AssTyme; 01-13-2017, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X