Dishwasher Standpipes.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dishwasher Standpipes.....

Why is it not code to run the dishwasher standpipe at least half way up the sink basin? I see so much property ruined by not doing so. You don't know there's a problem until your feet are wet or the ceiling below starts leaking

I see this very often also
    Sent From The StoolBus

www.appletondrainandsewer.com

Appleton WI, 54915
    1-920-284-7471

Comment

No such thing here. Dishwashers are usually tied into the kitchen waste via a dishwasher tail piece. When sink backs up, into the dishwasher it goes. Still makes a mess at times.

Comment

Originally posted by Drain Pro View Post
        No such thing here. Dishwashers are usually tied into the kitchen waste via a dishwasher tail piece. When sink backs up, into the dishwasher it goes. Still makes a mess at times.

Around here too but per code must have an air gap installed although most do not.

Comment

There is no air gap in that example photo in the first post.

That would not be acceptable here by code.
          "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

----

1/20/2017 - The End of an Error

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
            There is no air gap in that example photo in the first post.

That would not be acceptable here by code.

Around here it only needs an air gap if connected the the disposal.

Comment

In Maryland you can now connect to the disposal but you must put a loop in the dish washer drain hose just under the top of sink. This will now become your air gap.

Comment

You will also see knuckle heads install quick vents below the floor rim of the fixture. When the drains backs up instead of staying in the sink many times it floods through the quick vent and the same thing occurs. I

Comment

Out here that dual trap sharing the same trap arm is illegal. so is the standpipe.

What's with all that cpvc piping in the cabinet?

Why not the typical countertop air gap and connection to the disposal knock out like it was designed for?

Rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

• Bob D.
                    Bob D. commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah, that dual trap on one trap arm would not fly here either.

• AssTyme
                    AssTyme commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Around here 80% - 90% are the dual trap on one arm.

Please correct me but here this would be a total fail. Standpipe is wrong but so too is the insinkerator. Look messy and hackish. Then again as Tony will attest to as well, we seethis sort of thing fairly regularly because we just dont have good teachers in our schoolsteaching the boys like we were taught

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    Out here that dual trap sharing the same trap arm is illegal. so is the standpipe.

What's with all that cpvc piping in the cabinet?

Why not the typical countertop air gap and connection to the disposal knock out like it was designed for?

Rick.

Dual trap sharing the same trap arm is standard procedure here, how are you guys doing it?

I'm guessing the cpvc was less $$$, it was a large apartment complex.

I would much rather have the dishwasher go into a standpipe that is the correct height. It's just cleaner under the cabinet and no additional unsightly parts on countertop.

Comment

• Bob D.
                      Bob D. commented
                      Editing a comment
                      " how are you guys doing it?"

I've seen 3 trap arms run out the wall to three traps for a triple sink with a disposal on the center sink.

I've also seen as Rick described below 1 trap with a tee, but no disposal or dishwasher on that particular installation.

But never a standpipe below the counter as shown in the photo at the top of this thread.

1 trap with a 2 compartment waste and a diverter tee.

In theory, the disposal running with a load of water can siphon out the trap of the second compartment.

An air gap is required in the majority of dishwashers. Except the very expensive european models. A high loop is not going to protect the potable water like an air gap will. A standpipe below the level of the sink overflow is asking for a flood when the downstream line stops up on the sink. Every garabge disposal except commercial units have a 7/8'' knock out for a reason.

Rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Found this on a Google search and thought it illustrated it pretty good.

"It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

----

1/20/2017 - The End of an Error

Comment

• PLUMBER RICK
                        PLUMBER RICK commented
                        Editing a comment
                        pretty much how i do it, except i don't like tube traps on a kitchen sink.

Rick.
                    Working...
                    X