help with severe clog in 4 inch pipe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with severe clog in 4 inch pipe

I cabled this 4'' drain line several times. it gets through the clog but doesnt clear it. I tried attaching a drain king onto a hose and sticking it down in there as well (it just shoots back out from the shower and toilet instead of penetrating through the clog).

You guys have any idea what it is?

I was going to use the jetter, but it would back up from the toilet and shower inside the house.

I'm going to cut out that segment of pipe (I marked in green) with snap cutters/angle grinder and replace it. That is the section that is clogged. Although I think the clog might be at the bend (where I marked in red) where it goes into the wall.

I'd like to cut closer to the wall (where I marked in red), but I plan on using no hub couplings and I don't think the no hub couplings would fit that close to the wall where the Y fitting is or where the elbow going into the wall is.

What do you guys think? Any advice?

If it turns out that the clog is at the elbow (where I marked in red) then I plan to cap off the 1.5'' pipe (where I marked in yellow) and using a jetter to blast through that clog.

I've ran into that with fish someone put down their disposal as well as rice. Had a massive wipe clog that took forever to bust through, had to use the k1500 on that an as far as other clogs just started up the jetter. But hey if you scored a re-pipe do it the right way and make some money. Also where are you accessing? Is there a c/o on the wall in pic.
    Last edited by stm250; 05-17-2017, 08:08 PM.

Comment

I'm going to cut out the piece (marked in green) and blast through the clog with a jetter near where that elbow turns into the wall. I'll probably attach an extension ABS pipe, and connect it temporarily with a coupling before i jet, so the jetter has some extra room/distance or "clearance" to reduce splashing water back out.

there's a cleanout behind the 4''x4''x4'' y fitting in the way back. it's a 2'' cleanout.

I would just use the jetter through the toilet flange, but i was concerned water would come up and flood the place. water was coming up when i was using the drain king from the shower drain and 2'' cleanout outside and toilet flange. I used the drain king down the 4'' toilet flange.

Originally posted by stm250 View Post
      I've ran into that with fish someone put down their disposal as well as rice. Had a massive wipe clog that took forever to bust through, had to use the k1500 on that an as far as other clogs just started up the jetter. But hey if you scored a re-pipe do it the right way and make some money. Also where are you accessing? Is there a c/o on the wall in pic.
      Last edited by plumberpaul; 05-18-2017, 02:34 AM.

Comment

A forward blasting nozzle should easily penetrate the stoppage with little to no blow back. especially in such a short exposed line. this looks like a turn of the century building.

Rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          A forward blasting nozzle should easily penetrate the stoppage with little to no blow back. especially in such a short exposed line. this looks like a turn of the century building.

Rick.
          Oh yea it's an older style house. Yeah I'm still considering just jetting through the toilet flange, especially if there is little to no blowback from doing that. I kind of don't want to be there longer than I have to.
          Last edited by plumberpaul; 05-18-2017, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

Rick.
            btw did you mean, from the toilet flange there would be little to no blow back?
            Last edited by plumberpaul; 05-18-2017, 02:41 PM.

Comment

• PLUMBER RICK
              PLUMBER RICK commented
              Editing a comment
              Preferably from the end of the 4" horizontal main. Can't see if there is a cleanout or a band that can be easily removed. But with the end open, there will be little blow back in the toilet. I use plastic saran wrap to shrink wrap the toilet bowl and prevent burbing back into the toilet bowl.

Rick.

You check the city?
            -Byron

Comment

Originally posted by Cable or root View Post
              You check the city?
              no

Comment

Pull a manhole and check for b/u on cities end like cable or root said.

Comment

Working...
                X