Ridgid T-202 bulb auger broke up in shower drain: How to extract

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid T-202 bulb auger broke up in shower drain: How to extract

I was trying to feed in the line into the drain and I don't know if I forced it and or if perhaps the weld on the cable was compromised but after feeling some resistance I reversed the snake (K-400) and when I pulled the cable out the head had broken off. I don't know I was very far in the drain. These shower drains at work can be a trick to get the Auger, so I suspect and hope that the Auger is only maybe 2 feet in.

Any suggestions on how to extract it?

the best method is not to use a bulb auger through a 2'' trap. instead use the Rick Reverse Auger /RRA.

This is a 5/8'' sectional cable with end cut off and heated to form a small hook. The cable is run in reverse rotation/ counterclockwise. The open winds and flexibility of the 5/8'' cable with RRA end will easily navigate the trap, the hook will grab the bulb auger and wind it further into the sectional cable.

Problem is you don't have a distance to go fishing for so it might be a little more time consuming.

Also your 400 machine doesn't run 5/8'' sectional cable.

Are you in Northern Calif?

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I have never seen a bulb come home yet
      Dont even try a funnel cause you will leave that one in the line too !!
      Use the 5/8 cut off cable on your 400 running in reverse till it finds the bulb and starts to twist , shut off the drum and pull back the cable by hand .

Comment

• PLUMBER RICK
        PLUMBER RICK commented
        Editing a comment
        You're describing the RRA.

Rick.

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      the best method is not to use a bulb auger through a 2'' trap. instead use the Rick Reverse Auger /RRA.

This is a 5/8'' sectional cable with end cut off and heated to form a small hook. The cable is run in reverse rotation/ counterclockwise. The open winds and flexibility of the 5/8'' cable with RRA end will easily navigate the trap, the hook will grab the bulb auger and wind it further into the sectional cable.

Problem is you don't have a distance to go fishing for so it might be a little more time consuming.

Also your 400 machine doesn't run 5/8'' sectional cable.

Are you in Northern Calif?

Rick.
      Are you saying the RRA should be used generally through 2'' traps instead of the bulb auger?

Yes, I'm in the Bay Area.

I think the Auger broke off early on in the trap. I had difficulty getting the bulb through other drain traps as well (shower traps) so I may be stuck only 2' or so down.

What about using electrical fish tape?

Comment

Stopped using 5/8" augers and bulbs years ago after breaking 3 in 1 day.

The Rick Reverse Auger has never broken and gets the job done. It also self feeds as you spin it revese.

Rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

How do I make one?

Comment

Working...
          X