This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K5208, the big brother of the k60

Yes, the k5208 is the real deal. It's the k60 on steroids. It packs a punch with the ability to run both 7/8 and 1.25" sectional cable.

Can it replace the current k60 and k1500? The answer is yes. If size matters, then this is the machine that will replace your k1500. It's 3/4 horse power is similar to the k1500. While a k60 is a 1/2 horse power unit.

Takes up almost the same footprint as the k60 and only weights a little bit more.

So, is the k5208 my next k60?

Yes, it will. Will it replace my drill?

On most jobs as it's safer, cleaner and for the most part easier.

Pictures to follow.

No, I don't get to keep the machine. I did get to test drive it this past month. I'll have to buy 1 just like you possibly in September?

For all you light weight plumbers, I'm now 55 and still able to carry 60' of 1.25" cable, cable carrier with prototype lazy susan and the K5208. Machine. Yes, I can easily drop it on my folding cart, but it's manageable for those guys that are not couch potatoes.

Rick.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180326_100727208.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.28 MB ID:	730010
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 04-26-2018, 01:23 PM.
    phoebe it is

More photos Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180323_112302875.jpg
Views:	774
Size:	2.10 MB
ID:	730014 working a 6" main approx 6' above ground level with 1.25" cable. No guide hose next to the Maserati

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180402_132715024.jpg
Views:	739
Size:	4.28 MB
ID:	730015 Roots are no problem. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180402_134239757.jpg
Views:	747
Size:	2.61 MB
ID:	730016Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180326_095405080.jpg
Views:	857
Size:	3.31 MB
ID:	730017

Prototype 60' reel on a lazy Susan.

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

More interested in the reel.

Comment

Reel is a protoype, truthfully, it's over engineered and not necessary. It's a lazy susan to assist in reeling up your cable when cleaning up. It's not a drum attachment for running while spinning.

Too bulky, and not necessary in my opinion. For $20.00 drop your steel cage on a lazy Susan turntable.

Rick.
        Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 04-26-2018, 07:15 PM.
        phoebe it is

Comment

• AssTyme
          AssTyme commented
          Editing a comment
          Which cage did you get, the one shown above?

I noticed in the picture you have a Ridgid cable. Do your general 1.25 cables work with it?
        -Byron

Comment

• fixitright
          fixitright commented
          Editing a comment
          There's an adjustment for a clutch in the K-60?

Where?

• fixitright
          fixitright commented
          Editing a comment
          Wait, the clutch on the back of the machine to adjust for different size cables.
          Was thinking of a different type of clutch such as on a drill.

Or am I wrong?

• PLUMBER RICK
          PLUMBER RICK commented
          Editing a comment
          similar clutch adjustment as the k-60 , but a different design for the locking mechanism.

Rick.

A drill is much cheaper and tested true.

Sorry Ridgid, one K-silly in my shop is enough.

Comment

Of course a drill is much cheaper. But not as safe and not as clean as you have nothing contained. With thousands of drill cleanings, I already know the 5208 is much safer and cleaner and can apply more torque to the cutter.

I used a drill as I didn't have the room for a k1500 hogging up the truck. Now the k5208 will pretty much occupy the space of my k60.

Rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

• PLUMBER RICK
            PLUMBER RICK commented
            Editing a comment
            Ben, you're the one drinking the kool aid if you seriously believe a drill is safer than the machine it replaces.

Sure you are behind the cable for the most part, but at any given time you have 5-15' of exposed cable outside the drain. If it wasn't for the couple of 4' sections that they no longer make, most of the heavy root jobs would not be successful with the drill. Just too much slop with cable outside the drain opening.

With the machine, I can always control how much exposed cable is in between the machine and the opening.

Without looking at my computer I can safely say I've got 5000+ cable jobs under my belt. I don't make this stuff up, I live and breath and sometimes eat it. And I certainly don't tell anyone what they want to hear, I tell them what I have to say good, bad or ugly.

By the way, your dog is $7500. My whacker is $200. And does everything your machine does, plus runs both directions without having to tear apart the machine. Yes, a drill spins cable the same way a drill spins my whacker. So who just drank $7500 worth of Kool aid?

Rick.

• PLUMBER RICK
            PLUMBER RICK commented
            Editing a comment
            Not quite understanding your comparisons. Your dog is the same identical $99.00 drill unit as my whacker. You need a clutch, I don't. Yours is 125# + or Minus. My 100' whacker is less than 40# and is as compact as a 100' garden hose. At the end of the day, they both do the identical thing with $7300.00 more in my pocket.

Rick.
            Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 04-29-2018, 12:15 AM.

• PLUMBER RICK
            PLUMBER RICK commented
            Editing a comment
            Ben, I have no idea what you mean by exaggeration of my numbers. not talking about the whacker. I'm talking about drain cleaning with both the k-60,k-50 drill and drum machines. yes I have 43 years of drain cleaning so several thousand cleanings with a drill is not an exaggeration by no means. It was Gene Bickford who introduced us to using the drill for the larger cable many years ago.

$7500 for a oversized metal box that all it does differently is reel up cable is ridiculous. remember who was the one that told you what was wrong with the design and how to fix it? who in their right mind would sell an electric drain machine with a 120 volt electric foot pedal? with no gfi? with no access to the reverse switch of the drill motor? remember you bragging about their shaft being the only one that could run in reverse? sounds great but how do you reverse a machine that is assembled without access to the reverse switch? who was it that told you about swapping the electric foot pedal with an air actuator switch? adding a gfi on the power cord?

yes, I'm a whole lot smarter than a company that doesn't return phone calls, or emails and doesn't have a clue about user safety 101. Now that sets the record straight.

yes, my whacker runs both directions, doesn't need a clutch or a gfi. has identical $99.00 drill motors and can easily be carried up a ladder and operated on a roof. doesn't take up valuable space in my truck allowing me to carry 5 different whackers in less space than 1 dog. is 10% of the weight and 10% of the size and $7300 less money.

as you already know i can afford any "car" on this planet. but if i'm shopping for an expensive car paying full fare, I don't want to be the guinea pig testing a new product that has issues right out of the box. Yes, you fixed yours thanks to me. NO I didn't sugar coat it. nor did you. Now the record is set straight.

Rick.

Google didn't yeild any results from sellers, anyone know a price point?
          -Byron

Comment

• PLUMBER RICK
            PLUMBER RICK commented
            Editing a comment
            It's not priced to sell yet. But I will see if they are giving a range of prices.

Rick.

Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post
          More interested in the reel.

White probably not the best color choice, lol!

Comment

Truthfully Rick, when you turn up to a job similar to the one in the photo's you uploaded, would you be reaching for the K5208 or you Whacker (Clog dog)?

Comment

Depends on the situation. I have just about every form of machine in my truck. From jetter with several thousands in nozzles, sectionals from 5/8",7/8", 1.25". Pistol drums, and my own set of 5 different whackers. Along with my drill adapters.

My jetter is getting less use now with my whackers. My k60 has no work now with my k5208.my k50 still does the same amount of work. My pistol drums are still the same amount of use. My drills cables are very little due to my whackers.

The k5208 will replace my k60 and for the most part running a drill with 1.25" cable.

Rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

• JFDI
                JFDI commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the rundown Rick. Can I ask if you sourced your whackers from pipeliningsupply.com? & what sizes & lengths you have? Cheers.

Will it run 5/8 cable as well

Comment

• PLUMBER RICK
                PLUMBER RICK commented
                Editing a comment
                No, it's only 7/8" and 1.25". Cable.

I rarely used my k60 on 5/8". Just too much power. I use my k50 for the 5/8" slower speed and less power to prevent kinked cables.

Rick.

I see they are keeping that stupid cord with GFI.
              Will it run EEL and General cables?

Comment

• PLUMBER RICK
                PLUMBER RICK commented
                Editing a comment
                General, yes as it came with 60' of Ridgid, and I added more 1.25" general ic to it with my adapter.
                EEL cable.i would imagine, but I don't own any so I couldn't try. If it's a true1.25" od cable, I don't see why not.

Rick.

• ChrisConnor
                ChrisConnor commented
                Editing a comment
                ok. Thanks. I have General 1.25 innercore. I asked the Ridgid guy if it would, and he said he didn't know, and would get back to me. I was still waiting for a response since February.
                I think they should make it without that cord. I rarely have a situation where the cord is long enough and I have to use my extension cord anyway.

Looks like a nice machine. Definitely will get one.

Comment

How does one set this type of machine up when the basement floor is a crap swamp?

Comment

Working...
              X