No announcement yet.

Upgraded my Main Line Machine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got a burger place with 2- stainless steel ramekins about 15' into a 3'' cast line that serves the 3 compartment sink and dishwasher. I've only had to clear the line 3 times in 35 months. if i try pushing the ramekins downstream, I could end up plugging up more floor drains. being stainless, they don't break and they are not magnetic. they were dropped in from a 3'' floor sink and made it past the trap. cutting the floor open to remove them is not something i would want to do as it would be right were the grills are and this is a very famous very busy hamburger restaurant.

I might try using my whacker as it can possibly slip past the ramekins and potentially pull them back towards the trap. then use a shop vac to suck them out of the trap. But it's so infrequent that i need to open the drain that I don't want to push it and end up with a much bigger issue, putting them out of commision for the time. so for now it's my k50 with reverse auger that is used to move the ramekins as needed to open the line.

Rick
    phoebe it is

Comment

Man does that machine look beautiful . The longevity of those machines is ridiculous... Tested,tried anbd true.. Built to withstand the test of time..

Comment

• JFDI
        JFDI commented
        Editing a comment
        Second that - Have to love new tools, so so shiny, almost looks like a piece of art.

I think Rick was trying to give us a clue as he repeated several times that he built his for under $200, including cover (try doing that with proper FS cable & cover), can forward/reverse, can rip large roots, weighs around 40# for the 100' x 3/8" (10mm) version.

fixitright. I'll most likely share much more once I have enough field testing done so I can confidently provide detailed info.

Here's a clue - look whats inside, we use it every day & its not FS.
      Last edited by JFDI; 06-12-2018, 04:03 PM.

Comment

• PLUMBER RICK
        PLUMBER RICK commented
        Editing a comment
        That's the same unit I posted about several months back. They've been around for decades and sell for about $15-20 USD. Of course it's designed for small hair stoppages, not monster roots.
        Once again there's more than 1 way to build a whacker. $200 doesn't include the $99.00 DeWalt drill. I assume everyone has a drill they can Chuck up to the shaft. Don't waste your time with a Milwaukee cordless with keyless Chuck, all they do is grind when you have any tension on the cable and flip it to reverse. The chuck has a locking mechanism that thinks your trying to un chuck the shaft.

Stick with a good keyed chuck that won't slip.

Rick.

There is no way in hell Rick made is flex shaft setup for $200.00. Chit the chain knocker is that much or more.

Comment

AT, forget the chains, we're talking just the shaft & cover & if you're real handy, you can make up your own chains, but they're not too expensive, so other than doing it for fun, you might as well buy those already made.

Comment

Originally posted by JFDI View Post
          AT, forget the chains, we're talking just the shaft & cover & if you're real handy, you can make up your own chains, but they're not too expensive, so other than doing it for fun, you might as well buy those already made.

You are going to have to spend well over $1,000.00 to get the proper flex shaft for clearing sewers.

Comment

• PLUMBER RICK
            PLUMBER RICK commented
            Editing a comment
            That's $800 more than I spent for 100' of whacker.

Rick

AT. Thats the point, you don't have to spend $1000. Clog dog use SS White Bi-Directional (Steady-FLEX?) & the cover on one version I saw they used Tremac Sloan Nylon Air Hose.

Have you missed the clue I gave in the photo - there's No actual Flex Shaft in the poor mans (Rick Whacker) & you can use a much cheaper readily available cover.

Comment

I'll get a flex shaft once I get my new camera...

Comment

Originally posted by JFDI View Post
              AT. Thats the point, you don't have to spend $1000. Clog dog use SS White Bi-Directional (Steady-FLEX?) & the cover on one version I saw they used Tremac Sloan Nylon Air Hose.

Have you missed the clue I gave in the photo - there's No actual Flex Shaft in the poor mans (Rick Whacker) & you can use a much cheaper readily available cover.

Your saying he used a sewer cable and slipped an outer sleeve over it?

Comment

Originally posted by sewermonster85 View Post
                I'll get a flex shaft once I get my new camera...

I'm waiting until it's refined as I'm not sure who or what to believe just yet and I'm not feeling like a guinea pig

Comment

Fair enough AT. No doubt Rick will keep us informed how his Whacker is doing & I will look to providing more info once I have hit a few hundred more cleared drains.

Comment

Length and access.

Using a 50 foot shaft outside is interesting. Seen it done as it moves around a lot.
                    Inside in a basement with most lines averaging just under a 100' is another story.

Comment

Originally posted by fixitright View Post
                      Length and access.

Using a 50 foot shaft outside is interesting. Seen it done as it moves around a lot.
                      Inside in a basement with most lines averaging just under a 100' is another story.
                      AT had provided a picture with a home made reel. It's the same thing as I've seen in the Swedish design.

Comment

Originally posted by fixitright View Post
                        Length and access.

A 50' shaft would do me little good I would need 100' minimum. Pretty much has to be contained.

What are the negatives on the Dog?

Comment

• JFDI
                          JFDI commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Being where I am - its the cost & if something breaks, well then its might take months for repairs.

Originally posted by Pro Service View Post

AT had provided a picture with a home made reel. It's the same thing as I've seen in the Swedish design.

There are some that have made them and in my opinion they may be better than the Dog. One in particular comes to mind.

Comment

Working...
                        X