No announcement yet.

Gotta Take Some Bad Ones Too...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just back from this one. Family of 5 found this when looking for reasons why they had no hot water. Did they not have noses, lol!

Comment

That had to have hurt

Comment

How far out was the blockage?

Comment

Originally posted by JFDI View Post
          How far out was the blockage?

Roots here and there out to 90'.

Comment

Is that a turd or spray foam?? What a damn mess!

Comment

Originally posted by Pro Service View Post
              Is that a turd or spray foam?? What a damn mess!

One of the largest turds I've ever seen

Comment

I just can't understand why drainage can be set up like that to flood the basement when the blockage is not within the building. We typically wouldn't have a surcharge openings that allow for a liveable area to be flooded like this. If there's no non returns, waste is usually pumped out into the properties main line with a surcharge gully (trap) usually on the outside so if theres a blockage in the main line flooding occurs outside the building plus this gives somewhere to access the drain for clearing.

It doesn't always work perfectly as other things can go wrong, but it works well most of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by JFDI View Post
                  I just can't understand why drainage can be set up like that to flood the basement when the blockage is not within the building. We typically wouldn't have a surcharge openings that allow for a liveable area to be flooded like this. If there's no non returns, waste is usually pumped out into the properties main line with a surcharge gully (trap) usually on the outside so if theres a blockage in the main line flooding occurs outside the building plus this gives somewhere to access the drain for clearing.

It doesn't always work perfectly as other things can go wrong, but it works well most of the time.

This is very common in this particular city. For some reason the city ran their sewers on the shallow side.

Comment

In my area there are a few sectors where city sewer back ups are guaranteed when it rains too much. I've had at least 12 calls for sewer back up in one area(last 2 weeks). I don't wan't to get involved in that area, people want more than one back water valve and sump pumps. They need an engineer to come up with something and the city is also to blame. Can of live worm that will jump in your face!!

To do those BWV I would need a camera, pipe sonde and after installing another BWV there would be no guarantee. I also noticed people want free estimate so purchasing a 2400$ sonde for my K-3800 would be for nothing. Not to mention lawsuits when it fails again.

They don't realize a back water valve does not really work. I don't know if any exist that seal 100%

Comment

• JFDI
                      JFDI commented
                      Editing a comment
                      On the larger lines sometimes they aren't 100%, but usually on pump lines 1-1/2" -2" they seal well. If all pipework below ground level from the house is sealed or pumped where required & there was a gully trap or pop off Air Admittance Valve (AAV) on an external clean out riser on the outside of the building, then if the main line blocks outside, the sealed pipes in the basement 8 feet down won't leak out & waste will overflow the gully trap or pope off the AAV outside once the water level rises to the point it overflows either the gully or popped off valve. Once the home owners notice, then its drain unblocking time either via the gully trap or the clean out outside.

Bu you have to deal with extreme freezing so unless the external clean out riser is well insulated, I guess it may freeze at shallow ground depths.

We don't have clean outs outside. In that area Some have flooded 2-3 times. 2 weeks ago a woman stated 10 times(7 by the previous owner and 3 for her)

Another issue are french drains are connected to the sewer sometimes separate.

Comment

• JFDI
                      JFDI commented
                      Editing a comment
                      10 times! - I would go ape if this happened once let alone several times. Sounds like local councils need look at sorting out their drainage network & have home owners seperate their sewer & storm drains where they are not.

It's a big mess in that spot, the city doesn't seem to care at the moment.

Comment

Is that area that floods an older combined sewer system?

Our city has slowly over the last 30 years or so been doing sewer relief projects in combined areas to put larger sewer lines next to the existing ones to try and alleviate basement flooding after a rain storm by storing all the waste and rain water in the larger pipes. They also try to separate the land drainage system from sanitary system if they are able to connect to an existing storm trunk drain.

My street was done about 25 years ago and so far its seems to have worked out well

Comment

Working...
                      X