My experience building my own flex shaft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My experience building my own flex shaft

OK, I have tried to build some of my own flex shaft cables. I listed to posts and tried my hand at building my own flex shaft. I wanted flex shaft for a kitchen drain and for main lines. I ordered a chain cutter from Clog Dog for 10mm cable of 3/8" cable. I have tried 1/2" id Pex "B" that leaves me a space of 1/8" between the cover and the cable. I lubricated it with lube grease. When I ran an electric drill the cable by the drill would rotate but not the end that the cable would build up spring tension and the end would spin quickly and stop. Than I tried 5/16th air hose that was very flexible when I ran the drill the covering and the cable twisted up. So I tried clear plastic tubing the kind you use for a water line and it does not spin if forward but it does spin in reverse. My thinking is that in forward the cable uses spring tension to bind up and this increases the diameter of the cable not allowing it to spin in forward. So the 5/16th cable only has a space of 1/16th of an inch between the cover and the cable.

I am thinking that I should use 1/2" in "B" pex for the 5/16" cable that would leave a space of 3/16th of an inch hopefully this will fit down a 2" line. For the 3/8" inner core cable I am going to try 3/4" id PEX "B" that will leave me 3/8" of space for the cable to spin within the cover. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I cannot afford the clog dog at this time, and I am interested in making my own cables that work.

Comment

On another plumbing site I found a link to another manufacturer that has a flex cable machine to use for drain cleaning they are called drainrehabsolutions and they are selling a unit called the "ZIP ZIP" which costs $2,800.-USD that is $2200.- dollars less that the Clog Dog I do not know if this is an apples to apples comparison the machines are different. Anyways they will be at the 2019 WWETT convention in February. I do not own this machine and am not being paid a comission etc. I just wanted to put it out there for discussion if anyone is interested

Comment

• gear junkie
        gear junkie commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd recommend to not buy the zip zip. Although much cheaper then any other flex shaft machine, it would be waste of money because it wouldn't work.

gear junkie same comment as on the other site shooting down another manufacturer. With no explanation as to why it would not work? I know you said you did not want to give helpful info to the manufacturer. I am assuming you have never tried the Zip Zip. Have you seen it in action? I know the Clog Dog is more refined. There are cable options to go with this machine and like the Clog Dog they use a simple electric drill. The flex shaft I do not know where it is manufactured? Possibly the same flex shaft the clog dog is using? They do offer couplings to extend the length of the flex shaft and some kind of quick change for the cutter heads. I am not an expert on flex shaft drain cleaning just my opinion. I am sure they could work out the kinks in there design with a little time Didn't Clog Dog make improvements in there unit as they went along? Or did they start out perfect?

Comment

• gear junkie
        gear junkie commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't think I need to provide an explanation...no matter what forum I'm on. At this point, I've done enough videos, posted enough pictures, talked to enough people, have enough of of an online presence where what I type is what what really happens in my conditions. I know how hard I have to work for 2200-2800 and figure that it's roughly the same for most of us. Personally if I was about to buy crap, I'd want a warning. Believe me if you want to or not....makes no difference to me.

• gear junkie
        gear junkie commented
        Editing a comment
        Clog Squad are real, licensed plumbers who pretty much only do drain cleaning. I would talk to the owners as they made the CD.....so much R&D. I'd hear about one design they'd be excited about, then a month later....they scrap it because it didn't work in the field. This went on and on. A lot of time went into making the clog dog simple and effective but people only see a metal box.

So by no means did the Clog Dog come out perfect.....but when it came out it was pretty much the finished design they have now. They had a couple of specific issues that became appearant depending on the conditions it was used in. Those issues were fixed but were minor and didn't change the overall design. For the zip zip to work, it has to be completely changed.

If everyone else offers a service for roughly the same price and someone comes in more then half off....shouldn't the first thought be "what are those guys leaving out"

• rooterboy
        rooterboy commented
        Editing a comment
        Yea seems to make sense about 1/2 price hope to see the clog dog and other flex shaft makers in the future at a trade show or WWETT

Wouldn't it be easier to just buy some sections of "genuine" flex shaft to get an idea on where to start?

Sooner or later I'm going to order some sections to play around with. The added cost will save me from all of the messing around trying to figure it out.

Comment

• rooterboy
        rooterboy commented
        Editing a comment
        Good solid idea *** Tyme

In time someone who wants to share will figure it all out but for now it's all top secret, lol!

Comment

• rooterboy
        rooterboy commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks looks like it happened yesterday

Are the chains going to pass through a 1 1/2" steel 90 or are you only planning on using on PVC/ABS?

I've seen a video of the FS in a tub line and it looked like a PITA.

Comment

I know nothing about the two but I like the openness and looks of the zip zip.

Shaft seems very $$$

Diameter: Price:

5/16" (8mm) - $7.27 USD / foot

3/8" (10 mm) - $8.40 USD / foot

1/2" (13mm) - $10.26 USD / foot
        Last edited by AssTyme; 08-26-2018, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Once again you're paying for a glorified reel and a $100.00 drill motor. Takes up lots of space and is heavy.

Same reason why lots of us went with a drill to power our drain cables and eliminated the bulky expensive machine.

I carry 5 different whackers in the truck and all 5 combined take up less room, weigh less and cost less than 1 machine.

Before you buy a big box, start off with a cable only option.

Rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Simple, 3/8" cable, nylon 1/2" id tubing, chains, drill. We've been over this already.

Comment

• JFDI
              JFDI commented
              Editing a comment
              There you go - DS said it all.

• rooterboy
              rooterboy commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks JFDI and Drain-Slayer

Originally posted by Drain-slayer View Post
            Simple, 3/8" cable, nylon 1/2" id tubing, chains, drill. We've been over this already.

All 3/8" cable is not equal as is the tubing.

Comment

• Drain-slayer
              Drain-slayer commented
              Editing a comment
              I've been using Ridgid and duracable. These are what I feel most comfortable with. Oh and Velvac tubing
              Last edited by Drain-slayer; 08-26-2018, 10:13 PM.

• AssTyme
              AssTyme commented
              Editing a comment
              I have no idea what will work best I was just throwing that info out there. Sounds like you have it figured out???

rooter boy i PM you with the site cables and chains all at 50% off

Comment

• fixitright
              fixitright commented
              Editing a comment
              bless us all with this info

• AssTyme
              AssTyme commented
              Editing a comment
              You have been blessed!

https://www.s1eonline.com

i respect rick and his whacker very impressive. after he pulls all the roots would be waste of time to put cam it it. just my opinion. I respect him even more for not telling us the info because he promised gear junkie he would not tell.
            Last edited by transformers0704; 08-26-2018, 09:50 PM.

Comment

• gear junkie
              gear junkie commented
              Editing a comment
              Do you respect him for destroying a friendship because he couldn't handle criticism?

• gear junkie
              gear junkie commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh and by all means Rick, if that promise was all that was keeping you from telling everyone, don't let that stop you now.

Tell everyone what you use!

• rooterboy
              rooterboy commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks transformer0704

gear junkie commented
            Today, 09:24 PM
            Oh and by all means Rick, if that promise was all that was keeping you from telling everyone, don't let that stop you now.

Tell everyone what you use

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180817-204201.png
Views:	1
Size:	245.0 KB
ID:	734159

And I was honoring what you asked me to keep secret. But since you have tried to trash me and I was protecting you and clog dog.

Here you go, you asked for it and I have it.

Yes, Ben asked me not to share my design. In fact he asked me to lie and say it was clog dog flex shaft.

Yes this is the actual text he sent me from December 4th. But after putting up with his trash for 8 months, it's time to share why my Whacker out performs his clog dog. Why he claims I'm using it wrong and why I can actually cut out roots masses from the pipe and pull them out to show you.

Yes, I kept the photos very selective, but know you all know why. He asked me to lie or not tell anyone. Which I managed to do for 8 months, but now he wants it shared. So I'll honor him and share the whacker with everyone.

Guys, this design is nothing new, General has been making this for more years than I can remember.

Save your money and make your own cables. You don't need flex shaft, or an expensive reel with a large heavy box on wheels. You don't even need a clutch.

I've got hundreds of cleanings and still on my same cables. I do recommend an electric drill with a Chuck and Chuck key. Cordless keyless Milwaukee hammer drill doesn't like any spring tension in the opposite direction. It thinks your trying to loosen the Chuck grip.

My cables spin both directions and cut both directions. Cleaning a drain is simple. Cutting open a 100% solid root stoppage is hit or miss. Remember I do jobs others fail at and want to dig up. Not every root stoppage will get opened with the whacker. Especially when they are large mature roots. That's where a jetter or 1.25" cable will still be needed.

But overall the whacker gets the first shot out of the truck as it's fast and light and takes no time to setup. Especially when you need to climb stairs, or a ladder. Jetting a line that's already 100% full can be a mess if the spillage is not contained.

Rick.
            ​​​​​
            phoebe it is

Comment

• gear junkie
              gear junkie commented
              Editing a comment
              So spill everything. What's the casing?

I'm the one that had to tell you about this. Until I told you, you were clueless in the whole thing...even after seeing a FS machine. Worst thing I ever did was tell you something....should've known you'd try to claim it as your idea. Should've kept you towing that 4018 instead of teaching you new tricks.

Don't talk about honoring or protecting anything. If you were really wanting to help anyone out, you'd say that from the beginning instead of throwing out insults and lies. Heck you outright started all this mess with an insulting thread...like you were trying to pick a fight. You kept everything secretive like you always do so you have all the toys. Been around you enough to see how you operate. To see 2 friends spends thousands in R&D develop a machine and have you talk like you "developed" something unique.....all you did was hype yourself up with literally zero to prove anything.

Why not talk about all the failures you had. All the phone calls about how your drum cable didn't work. It took a long time before you came up with anything halfway effective.

And still....you don't have a machine of any type to compare so your comparison is completely invalid. Just making keep making claims Ricky. That's what you do best.
              Last edited by gear junkie; 08-27-2018, 01:48 AM.

• PLUMBER RICK
              PLUMBER RICK commented
              Editing a comment
              Amazing you call them friends and not your business partner.

I call them poor businessmen. Why, because they didn't return phone calls or emails. Not just from me but others who attempted to contact them. Amazing they spent money on trade magazine advertising, yet don't bother to connect with their audiance. Or was that you telling them not to contact me. Amazing as they had no problem calling me when they needed help with the pipe bursting machine they bought from me. Gave them hours of my time to make sure it got to them safe and secure. Then followed up with them so they knew how to use it and perform the work. No the machine doesn't come with instructions, what they learned up front was from me. Me making calls and returning calls.

Their number hasn't changed nor has mine. Maybe you know why they don't return calls or emails. I'm sure you do.

Pretty obvious you didn't want me to let the cat out of the bag on a design that I actually did design, build, test and have used hundreds of times.

Amazing you think you take credit for it. Heck you haven't ever seen it in person. Only the photos I shared with you that you were so worried you asked me to call it a clog dog shaft. Says so in your very own text.

Didn't you say you were deleting all your post and leaving for good? Or was that another lie?

Yes, done going back and forth with you as we all can see through your lies.

Rick.

• gear junkie
              gear junkie commented
              Editing a comment
              "Amazing you call them friends and not your business partner."

^^Right there. Completely 100% false statement. You're really just a liar. How do you even come up with that? Where do you think it's ok in any capacity to make these lies up?

You got a serious mental problem if you think that's ok.

At this point it's obvious you only have an issue with them. Hey why not call out Picote? Their machine is 11k.....you're so concerned about calling out overblown storage reels...why not call them out. Maybe CD is like everyone else and doesn't want to talk to you. Stop crying about it.

Poor businessmen?! lol alright. We didn't all get a silver spoon growing up. Must be nice to do plumbing in the same neighborhood you grew up in. Where do you get off judging everyone else? Heck do you even have uniforms or even business cards?

I was going to leave but decided calling you out on you BS was way better....otherwise you can make anything up...hundreds of drain cleanings with the FS.....lol. Prove it Ricky! Just like the "Rick Reverse auger" you thought you invented it but so many others have been using that way before you.

Hey just to be clear, don't come begging for me to get you breakfast at the next Flow Expo like the last time!! hahaha
              Last edited by gear junkie; 08-27-2018, 02:46 AM.

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
            Wouldn't it be easier to just buy some sections of "genuine" flex shaft to get an idea on where to start?

Sooner or later I'm going to order some sections to play around with. The added cost will save me from all of the messing around trying to figure it out.
            Yes good point thanks David

Comment

Working...
            X