Drain Cleaning Warranty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drain Cleaning Warranty

Do any of you offer a warranty? If so, how long? What are the stipulations? I know for a fact that baby wipes were the reason for a relatives clogged drain yet I did not pull back any evidence (must have gotten flushed down when I cleared it). If a drain cleaner/plumber mention that baby wipes void the warranty yet you could not pull back any hard evidence, then what?
    Last edited by HouseOfAtlas; 06-28-2019, 09:36 AM.
    I’m back

My contact for large drain cleanings gives me 6 moths, because they are all rentals. He had had to come back a few times, but usually pulls out feminine products that the idiot tenants continued to flush, so I paid him and got rid of the tenants. He did bring back the carcass of a dead raccoon once, it must have backed into the drain end, died, and made a blockage. I thought sewer items stunk, man this made turds smell like roses! Twisted up in the cable, it was a pain to remove it. He got extra for that one. Most of them I clear myself though, so I guess that means a lifetime warranty! I have one with continued root issues, but it is under the crawl space and house so it won't get rebuilt, so I just go down about every 5-6 months when I have some time, and clean it out before it blocks.

Comment

If he did not pull anything back, would he be on the hook (free of charge) if he was not able to pull back any evidence of what the clog was?
      I’m back

Comment

I would say you're stuck doing that recall free of charge. It's part of the business and good customer service. (That's just my take, which may not be everyone's opinion)

I offer a 30 day warranty. My warranty is spelled out on my website and states what is/is not covered. It also states that the warranty entitles the customer to ONE recall only. Also I have to witness that the drain is actually backed up...I've had customers try to get me to come out again at then end of the warranty by stating that it backed up but when I get there I can't duplicate the problem.

Of course I try to be as thorough as possible by snaking all the way to the city sewer and running through the problem area back and forth a couple times. Many companies will pull out as soon as they restore flow in which case there may be another potential problem just a few feet further down the line. You'd be surprised by how much is left in a sewer sometimes even when you do your best. In my area 4" CI pipe has a 3.5" clean out plug so you can obviously only run a 3.5" cutter. The problem is that just outside the house the 4" increases to 6" clay all the way to the sewer so that 3.5" cutter leaves a lot of roots still inside the pipe which can be seen with a sewer cam. It will often leave a thin curtain of roots inside the whold diameter of the pipe. The solution is to run an expandable cutter or jet.
        Last edited by MainDrain; 06-28-2019, 11:20 AM.

Comment

I give anywhere between no warranty to 6 months.
          If I pull out roots or mud that's an automatic no warranty.
          If there is heavy grease buildup in the kitchen drain then I only give 30 days. I try to upsell a jetter on those and have a 90% success rate doing so. I then give a 6 months warranty.
          On main lines I run the camera every time. I do 6 months warranty if I find no issues. If I pull out or find wipes or tampons in the line there is a written caveat that the warranty won't apply if more are flushed. If I'm going back to a job where I know the line doesn't have roots then I'll snake the line with a retriever. That way if there are any wipes or tampons I know I'll pull out at least 1.
          I always try to get the homeowner to watch the video inspection with me so they can see the condition of the line. That way if there's a callback they can't claim the wipes were leftovers from the previous snaking.
          As far as not pulling out anything during snaking, I always let the customer know before I start that I may not pull out evidence. I let them know sometimes when the clog releases it will was out everything that was in the line. I've done plenty where I didn't pull out anything nor see anything with the video inspection that would cause a clog.
          There have been a few where I have given them a free snaking even though there was no warranty. Those were me being nice and wanting to keep the customer happy. A lot of those have turned into bigger jobs later on.

Comment

One free rodding if the line blocks within two years.
            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
            Ron's Facebook
            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by VA plumber View Post
              I give anywhere between no warranty to 6 months.
              If I pull out roots or mud that's an automatic no warranty.
              If there is heavy grease buildup in the kitchen drain then I only give 30 days. I try to upsell a jetter on those and have a 90% success rate doing so. I then give a 6 months warranty.
              Me, no warranty. I offer a 6 month warranty if they accept the jetter after snaking. Only had 10% or something of people accept the jetter. Most times I know they aren't going to pay or they ask to fix another plumbing issue so I don't ask them.

I did return to a house the next day because the toilet line clogged again(no charge). First day I caught a sink plug chain in the toilet then had to snake the line with the 3800. I think a big object was lodged in and it just went a little further down the line. That job wasn't fun at all. Worked a total of 5.5 hours.
              Last edited by Pro Service; 06-29-2019, 07:07 AM.

Comment

One month, one time warranty unless there is roots or a known problem. Wipes or objects pulled out during recall voids warranty. Before starting a drain call I try and get as much info as possible on the problem. I warranty the drain within 24hrs at my convenience. I really dont get recalls though, I make sure the line is really clear, I think my last recall was last year some time. I do get customers call in and say - you were just here to clear my tub and now my kitchen is clogged, isnt that covered by warranty?- NO MAAM, ITS NOT
                Last edited by Drain-slayer; 06-29-2019, 03:47 PM.

Comment

I give 90 days on most drain cleanings with some exceptions toilets if I remove a object no warranty or any kitchen lines with a disposal I will give a 1 year warranty on a main if I camera it and find no problems I have on my invoices will not cover abused or problem lines and will state the reason why but like most of you occasionally have to honor my warranty on a call back.

Comment

Hey guys. Sorry for my late reply. I really appreciate all the feedback. I agree that customer service is #1 and I?ll eat the cost of a callback in exchange for a positive review and word of mouth.
                    I’m back

Comment

Drains could be get blocked due to several of reason. We can't blame the plumber work quality for every single time. Some time drains could be get blocked due to our mistakes like throwing grease, rice and other wastes in it or it could be cause due to root penetration.There is no way a plumbing company can continue to go out and clear drains free of charge if there is drain issues. Another big reason drain clogs are impossible to warranty is that once the plumber leaves the house, there is no way to know what is flushed down the drain. Many companies that offer warranties for drain clogs have stipulations that almost always void the warranty, which usually will be if the plumber pulls foreign objects or roots.

Comment

• PLUMBER RICK
                        PLUMBER RICK commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Welcome to the Forum Ray.

Rick.

• raygioiello0574
                        raygioiello0574 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks #RICK

95% of the time, no warranty on drain cleaning, unless I install a new sewer, then I'll give warranty

Comment

90 day warranty on all drain lines unless I find abuse such as wipes, paper towels, feminine products, etc...

Comment

Same here, 90 day warranty unless a kitchen sink line then no warranty as people will dump everything they can down the sink.
                          http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Working...
                          X