Locating 1000 feet of 2" PVC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locating 1000 feet of 2" PVC

Hey everybody, a church reached out to me this weekend with a pretty technical situation. They have a sewage holding tank that uses a grinder to pump waste to the road via 2" PVC which is obstructed somewhere along the 1000 foot run. There are no visible cleanouts. I have a SeeSnake Mini and sonde receiver, but I'm doubting it will make the first 90 degree bend it encounters, particularly since there's probably solids in the line. I do have jetter with trap hose that can go 75' provided I put in some cleanouts every 75' interval.

Anyone have a recommendation on how to locate the line? I was considering just installing a cleanout at every change of direction since the SeeSnake Mini probably won't make it around 90 degree bends. Also considered buying a smaller sonde with spring carrier.

run some thing down it a sone or a steel line and locate it, my only be from elbow to elbow, if there sharp elbows, one may want to change them out for electrical sweeps,

the other possibility is to witch for it, if you have the ability, I know that it works at times, I have my grandson witch lines for me, and I have him close his eyes, and things show at the same point time and time again, I realize it is more of an art not a science, and some times it will work and sometimes it will not, at times even a old nail will show, or a old wire that has rusted away, (that was a problem on my farm, we keep finding something in a nice straight line, and could not find any thing, but we were able to witch for some poly water lines, (being a church they may not want one to Witch for the line),
    Last edited by BHD; 06-30-2019, 09:59 AM.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Been there & done something similar before. You can try having a pump truck suck back on the line at the entry as its only 2" & if its a good truck with strong vacuum they may dislodge the blockage.

If this does not work you can try to trace the line, using a jetter with a Ridgid sonde jetting nozzle. I'm sure someone sells them State side, but if you can't find anyone Google 'The Jetters Edge' who are in Sydney Australia - they ship International & are 100% trustworthy. You will probably need the pump truck on hand for this to vacuum up the sewage backflow as you jet the line.
      Last edited by JFDI; 06-30-2019, 04:28 PM.

Comment

you cant run 100 ft of 5/8" snake down it and use a sonde on the steel of the snake? you cant then mark the 100 ft parts and install cleanouts. then go another 100 ft. repeat...
        ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Why not Have the church call the IDIOT that ran a only A 2" LINE ?
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
            Why not Have the church call the IDIOT that ran a only A 2" LINE ?
            Grinder pumps (unless industrial sized) often eject in 2" diameters. There's no reason to NOT run a 2" pressurized line all the way to where-ever. There's probably a structural problem in the pipe itself as the slurry doesnt often have enough solids to form a plug.
            ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

• toolaholic
              toolaholic commented
              Editing a comment
              Sure looks like the Little 2' LINE IS A PROBLEM HERE !!

Blow Bag sometimes they work wonders , if you have a leak detector, put a hummer on it and trace it via sound. jetter with a locater until you cant go any further then dig it up and install clean out and continue. 1000 ft run on 2 inch not to code in my neck of the woods. at some point it has to go to gravity and DWV fittings.

Comment

Working...
            X