Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trick for fine roots and attaching sectional cable to drill

Hello.
    I wanted to pay it forward by sharing a couple tricks I came up with that were inspired by this forum. Before I discovered this forum, I thought I was a genius for having "invented" the idea of using an electric drill attached to a drain cable to clear my main drain, then come to find you folks have been doing it for many years!

I had a ball of fine roots with about 75% blockage in my 4" PVC line and I used a Ridgid sectional cable with 3" shark tooth attachment to clear it. I was able to drill a hole in the mass but thats about it. I guess I should have purchased the 4" size cutter or a spiral saw instead. Well before going shopping again, I decided to try using the base of the cutter I had and modifying it with larger blades. I used a couple old hacksaw blades, grinding them down a little in the centers so they would fit around the bolt and then bending them to be snug against 4" pipe.

Honestly, I didn't think the thing would make it through the first elbow, but it went in even easier than the sharktooth and was able to grind away the majority of the root ball. I might change the blades out to new coarser ones to see if I can grind away the rest.

The other trick I have is how to attach sectional cable to a drill without cutting it or buying an adapter (which I tried but was told that they no longer carry them by the only company I could find that sold them online). I took a bolt and simply ground down the head for a snug fit on the female end and then used a nut to jam it tight. I doubt it will handle very heavy torque but it worked flawlessly on my 5/8 cable for my need.

Thanks!

Well done for now. How about a permanent repair so this doesn't become a hobby ? I like fishing Myself. Sully
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

run that cutter at high speed with water and it will help wash off the walls of the pipe as the water gets splashed all over with the cutter.
      35+ years ago when i bought my first large drum machine k-750 i had no cutter that came with the machine or cable. so i pretty much did the same thing using a bent sawzall blade hose clamped onto the cable. got the line open for my parents and then purchased an assortment of cutters. Now i make a lot of my own cutters and my whackers.

Rick
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by electricmark View Post
        I took a bolt and simply ground down the head for a snug fit on the female end and then used a nut to jam it tight. I doubt it will handle very heavy torque but it worked flawlessly on my 5/8 cable for my need.
        I like your use of the bolt - nice work.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
          Well done for now. How about a permanent repair so this doesn't become a hobby ? I like fishing Myself. Sully
          I hear you. This one is under my driveway unfortunately so I'm going to see if I can live with it. I installed a new cleanout close by so I can get to it easy with a 15' cable.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            run that cutter at high speed with water and it will help wash off the walls of the pipe as the water gets splashed all over with the cutter.
            35+ years ago when i bought my first large drum machine k-750 i had no cutter that came with the machine or cable. so i pretty much did the same thing using a bent sawzall blade hose clamped onto the cable. got the line open for my parents and then purchased an assortment of cutters. Now i make a lot of my own cutters and my whackers.

Rick
            Thanks Rick I will try that. Thats funny I was going to try sawzall blades next if the hacksaw blades broke.

Comment

Originally posted by JFDI View Post

I like your use of the bolt - nice work.
              Thanks! Hope someone will find use for these tricks. This forum was a great help to me.

Comment

Working...
              X