Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the best setup?

Hey guys,

I've been visiting this site for awhile now. Finally signed up!

I'm a licensed plumber in Ontario, Canada. I've mostly done commercial work. Zero drain cleaning, as we always sub that out.

I've been researching for awhile to try and learn what's the best set ups for drain cleaning.

There's just so many options and opinions, it gets overwhelming.

K60? K50? Sectional, drum? Etc Flexshaft?

I'm just starting out with this endeavor, so I don't need jetters etc yet. Lol.

Thanks in advance!

You can never go wrong with a k-50 5/8'' sectional machine. i'm a big fan of the k-60 5/8''- 7/8'' sectional cable , but recently they upped the design to a k-5208 that will also run the 7/8'' and 1.25'' sectional cables. so that would be my choice now.

My Rick Whackers are holding their ground and causing the jetter and sectional to take a long deserved rest.

Rick
    phoebe it is

Comment

If I where starting out again I choose the K-5208 over the K-60 for main drains, the k-50 is a versatile tool for 1 1/2 to 3" drains love mine and for the small drains a k-45. drum machines are bulky and heavy ( especially up and down stairs ) to cart around ( my opinion) though I own many and as you gain experience in drain cleaning you can add more tools to your arsenal. good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        You can never go wrong with a k-50 5/8'' sectional machine. i'm a big fan of the k-60 5/8''- 7/8'' sectional cable , but recently they upped the design to a k-5208 that will also run the 7/8'' and 1.25'' sectional cables. so that would be my choice now.

My Rick Whackers are holding their ground and causing the jetter and sectional to take a long deserved rest.

Rick
        The problem with making your own and it gets stuck and you need to dig 8 feet in the yard with a backhoe, you can be sued and you will lose right away because it's not approved equipment. You will have to buy them a new lawn a new basement floor, new pipes etc. There's a court case where the plumber who lost because of the improper cable size or bit or something like that(It's vague).

Comment

• PLUMBER RICK
          PLUMBER RICK commented
          Editing a comment
          It all comes with experience and track record. Over the last 44 years I can count on 1 hand the cables I got stuck and on 2 fingers the cables that wouldn't come back. Out here you could be sued for anything. Fortunately I have insurance and have never needed to use it. I'll take my chances with my Whackers. With hundreds and hundreds of Whacker cleanings and only lost 1 chain. I'll take my chances.

Rick.

• Drain-slayer
          Drain-slayer commented
          Editing a comment
          From all the storys you tell sounds like you need to move out of Canada or start doing something else.

• Pro Service
          Pro Service commented
          Editing a comment
          Drain-slayer You haven't heard 3% of all the side show stories since I opened my circus plumbing company. I posted them in another place.

After 20 yrs I?ve used pretty much every style machine and for the past 10 yrs my set up consists of a K60 (7/8 cable), K400 (3/8), K45af (5/16), Erickson (1/4?), 2 toilet augers and a 75? flex shaft. My drain calls usually take 10-60 min. I?ve been wanting to buy a k5208 for lines that are 100? plus. I mostly do residential, some restaurants. I have a Spartan 300, k7500 that are collecting dust in my garage because I have no need for that style machine anymore, just to heavy.

Comment

Working...
        X