K-9 problem -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K-9 problem -

I've had the bigger K9 FLEXSHAFT for a few weeks now, and on one straight shot cleanout sewer job it worked like a champ on the grease and roots! But I've had 2 stack jobs, 1 where the long sweep bend was about 3 ft down and another where it was only about a foot deep. On both of these jobs I simply could not move the head of the flex shaft past about 35 to 40 feet, and the pipe was wide open in both cases. In both cases the root blockage was 60 or 70 feet down so obviously I got nowhere near it. The first one I did not charge the customer since I've had told them I would cut out their roots and I did not, the second one I played it on the safer side and cleared drain and hit the roots as best I could with the K 1500 chain knocker. I tried forward and reverse, putting soap down the drain, pushing and pulling--and I was unable to move that flex shaft passed that 40 foot mark no matter what!
    I'm pretty concerned about this and wondering if anyone else has had this problem? I was watching it with the camera the whole time, and in both cases the only 90 degree bend was the primary one where the stack turns to sewer under the floor.
    Needless to say, I'm not very happy about this, am I missing something?! Anyone else notice this?

I'm about ready to call up my distributor and ask him to take it back at this point!
    Thanks,
    Tim Whistler

Tim Whistler Plumbing LLC
    301-648-9676
    timwhistlerplumbing.com
    tjwhistler@gmail.com
    "The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy; neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water"

-John William Gardner

I tape my flex shaft to my camera with a few wraps of electrical tape (camera head a safe distance behind the chains) to help increase the push distance.
    i hope this helps.
    Best regards,
    indeepinchicago

Comment

I like that idea, thanks!
      -Tim Whistler
      "The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy; neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water"

-John William Gardner

Comment

It sounds like the outer casing is not stiff enough for the push you're encountering. My Rick whacker will usually make it out to 100' if needed and eats roots like they were nothing.

Rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

IS the K9 outer casing the same as the Clog Dog casing? I have the clog dog and its not bad pushing out and sometimes I
          tape it to the camera. The clog dog I have has a 10 mm cable inside. What's the K9? I believe it's 3/8' so maybe the K9 is different.

Finding a lubricating substance that won't foam up is a thought.

I like the Dog but improvements will come. Won't buy another till they do.
          Or make your own.
          Last edited by fixitright; 12-01-2019, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Since Ridgid built this in partnership with the Clog Dog boys, I'm guessing they use the same flex shaft & covers supplied by USA companies, which when I checked a year or so ago were as follows.

Flex Shaft - SS White
            Covers is air hose or air brake hose by Tramac Sloan

Comment

Working...
            X