• Show
Clear All

• Hope It Holds

Click image for larger version

Name:	test plug.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	743340
    This 4" test plug is holding back thousands of gallons of town sewerage from flooding out a finished basement..... As you can see it's part of a backwater valve minus the flapper which was taken out probably because it's not legal in this state and is used just as a cleanout.

Got the call this morning from the home owner who noticed the sound of a alarm coming from this pit upon lifting the cover saw standing water and called me... when I got there it just reached the top of the pit.. on the same level ( basement ) I was able to insert my pump into a shower drain and pump it out the window... after about 10 minutes noticed the water level has not dropped went out to check the street sewer from a manhole and it's backed up.

While the homeowner was trying to get a hold of the sewer department which won't be able to make it till Monday morning.... I was able to rip the plastic cover off with a claw hammer ( it was only held down by one bolt ) and jam a test plug in and blow it up... ( to stop the back flow ) and was able to pump it down from the shower... I figured the water alarm which was submerged and no good now saved his finished basement.

Good news test plug held.... was down there at the crack of dawn to meet the town sewer dept who showed up with there Vac On to jet the line..... water level rose about 5' in the invert since yesterday and the town did tell me they have had problems with the line in the past.

I silicone'd and lagged with fender washers the cover down and recommended to the home owner replace with the proper backwater valve because it's going to be a reacurring problem. and might be a good idea to add drain backup coverage to his home owners policy.

Comment

Originally posted by drainman scott View Post
      Good news test plug held.... was down there at the crack of dawn to meet the town sewer dept who showed up with there Vac On to jet the line..... water level rose about 5' in the invert since yesterday and the town did tell me they have had problems with the line in the past.

I silicone'd and lagged with fender washers the cover down and recommended to the home owner replace with the proper backwater valve because it's going to be a reacurring problem. and might be a good idea to add drain backup coverage to his home owners policy.

What kind of town doesn't come out after hours or weekend?

Comment

• Bob D.
        Bob D. commented
        Editing a comment
        One that doesn't care about their residents I guess.

• AssTyme
        AssTyme commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah no kidding...

It all depends on the town, this one today contracts all there street sewer work to a private company so whatever policy they have after hours ? Some towns will charge the homeowner couple hundred bucks if they come out and the clog is not in there line.... and until recently the town I live in use to clear the home owners line for free with there municipal rods if they had access and give free 2 pounds of root X if they had roots..

So i guess it all depends on the municipal.

Comment

Working...
      X