My Drum vs My Sectional....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Drum vs My Sectional....

Not sure which is worse for my back. Lifting my Spartan 300 in/out and up/down stairs or constantly bending over running sectional cable...

I kneel. No bending. Have a rubber pad from those interlocking 24" x 24" squares.

No strain.

Same with my whacker which gets used 90-95 % over jetting or sectionals..

Rick
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      I kneel. No bending. Have a rubber pad from those interlocking 24" x 24" squares.

No strain.

Same with my whacker which gets used 90-95 % over jetting or sectionals..

Rick

Can't always kneel in a chit show.

Even my 20 year old son who has now been working with me for 18 months says, "it would have been much faster with the 300".

Comment

You can’t always have a flooded out basement. Do these customers continue to flush once it’s plugged up. Even if they do, how much volume is contained in the above piping to flood out the basement so bad that you’re floating in waste water in a single family home?

i don’t see too many basements that I have to snake from, but I do see lots of subterranean garages in condo complexes. Typically with piping suspended from the concrete ceiling below. Sure in that situation when there are many, many units above, if I pop the clean out, I’ll have a trash can to catch most of it. Of course, for a parking garage, it’s simple to wash it down and cleanup.

But unless you have a combination storm and sanitary system, how much waste is in the basement before you get a call on a single family home? And doesn’t a rotating drum sit just a few inches from the floor? How high are the clean outs off the floor?

I’ve used small ladders to hold my k60 elevated to snake from. Strap it to the top platform.

Whacker doesn’t mind sitting on the ground and working at elevated heights.

Rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I've seen Shet shows where my waders have to come out. Usually four plexes with nothing in the basement.

You wonder how no one smelled anything. Some of them have pits where the clean out is four foot down.
          A real treat.

Comment

I say it's a toss up... neither one has it's advantages over the other ... drain cleaning is a physical job ranks right up there with roofers, framers and others.

When running cable from a drum machine I kneel most of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by drainman scott View Post
              I say it's a toss up... neither one has it's advantages over the other ... drain cleaning is a physical job ranks right up there with roofers, framers and others.

When running cable from a drum machine I kneel most of the time.

I disagree, each has it's own advantages/disadvantages.

That's why I carry both.
              Last edited by AssTyme; 03-26-2020, 09:21 PM.

Comment

I also have a 300 w/75' of .55 mag cable as far physically getting it off the truck .. down the cellar stairs and back onto the truck to me is about the same physical exertion as bringing in 80' of dreel setup.

I agree as to one has an advantage over the other depending on the type of clog and the access into the line.

Comment

Once again my 100'whacker does 90-95% of the mains. It cuts roots out as well or better than anything I have including my jetter with $1000 nozzles.

Weighs under 50# with my drill and extension cord. Can work overhead without danger. Is easily wiped down and can put 6" chains into a 3" cleanout.

Why are we even messing with heavy machines when there are other choices that perform as well or better and weigh next to nothing?

What am I missing? Just the large box, heavy weight and price tag.

Rick
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Agree Rick, once you get the hang of using one ... I use mine more than 50 % of the time compared to my Eels or drums on mains.... and 100% if I already know where the roots are in the line.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      Once again my 100'whacker does 90-95% of the mains. It cuts roots out as well or better than anything I have including my jetter with $1000 nozzles.

Weighs under 50# with my drill and extension cord. Can work overhead without danger. Is easily wiped down and can put 6" chains into a 3" cleanout.

Why are we even messing with heavy machines when there are other choices that perform as well or better and weigh next to nothing?

What am I missing? Just the large box, heavy weight and price tag.

Rick

Are you doing these jobs blind or using a camera to verify?

I haven't bought in to this FS thing yet because of the need for a camera. Most people around here will not pay anything extra.

I think it would also be a bit uneasy trying to run 100' of loose FS in peoples basements. No way I'm grossly over paying for any of the machines that are currently on the market.

Comment

• PLUMBER RICK
                        PLUMBER RICK commented
                        Editing a comment
                        At first i was using my camera to get a feel of what i was doing and what the chains were doing. I included the camera for free as it was a learning experience.

Now I only use the camera if i find it necessary. a large percentage of my work is for repeat customers where i have a track record and sometimes an old video. On a stoppage it's a no brainer to know when and where you clear it. But like anything else, you never know the condition of what you did and what you missed. i do run the machine a minimum of 2 times each way with water flow. you can hear and feel what's going on especially once you have cleared it and water is running.

like anything else, if i feel a camera is beneficial for the long term, i will suggest it. my customers trust me and not all are looking for an in and out cleaning. Most want to know what's going on. If i camera it, they have the pictures, video and exact information moving forward. insures that the line is 99% spotless. exact location/ distance is documented for future maintenance. pretty much a no brainer for the future.

like anything else, using a drum or sectional without a camera you still don't have the same information as you do with a camera.

Rick.

Some of you have both machines Drum and Sectional, which would you say is pulled off your vehicle more and why?

Comment

• PLUMBER RICK
                        PLUMBER RICK commented
                        Editing a comment
                        As you probably have already ready over the years of reading old threads, 10 plus years ago it was my 7500 drum. then it was my k60 sectional, then my 1.25'' drill and sections. now it's 90% whacker. Sometimes the jetter. Rarely the cable and drill except for the 5/8'' and reverse auger that's still my go to when i have traps like laundry and showers.

Drums have been off of my vans for 10 plus years. Sectionals are still on them. 5/8'' gets used more than the the 7/8'' and 1.25'' do. But my whackers are my #1 go to machine and My customers all know what they can do when I use them. The results are seen with what I rip out. Of course a fully root packed 6'' main might not be my first choice with my whacker, But it is my finishing choice.

A good whacker is just as effective as a jetter. no need to park close and no blow back or flooding. Yet still just as clean and the ability to safely run a camera at the same time along with a much faster call. literally no setup time.

Yes whackers are here and will eventually phase out the way we clean drains. It has for me for 2.5 years.

Did I answer your Question or give you more food for thought?

Do we need another roundup when things get back to normal and we can go head to head with the drummers and sectional users?

Rick

Originally posted by DrainClean4u View Post
                      Some of you have both machines Drum and Sectional, which would you say is pulled off your vehicle more and why?

I use my drums a lot more for both mains and secondary lines. Less prep time, less mess and less work time.

Comment

PLUMBER RICK what exactly is the Wacker and which one do you have? I saw this image but it looks like a chain knocker on the end of a cable.

Comment

• PLUMBER RICK
                          PLUMBER RICK commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Not sure if you met me back in July 2018 when I set up a short whacker for you inside the plant. Call me to discuss.

Rick.

Originally posted by DrainClean4u View Post
                        Drum for me but I dont let my helpers use my K-7500 as it will hurt you if you dont have enough seat time
                        http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Working...
                        X