Flex Shft and you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flex Shft and you

I`m seeing so many broken flex shafts on facebook it`s crazy. Glad I gave up on it it as fast as I did. I could see it wasnt all they claimed it was right off.
    Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 11-18-2020, 11:33 AM.
    http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

All those pics on FB are posted by greenhorns .... That flex shaft in the pic is a victim of torsional deflection , that's why it unraveled .

Unlike a regular drain cable in which has high tensile strength a flex shaft has rotational strength and should be operated at high speed . And I see a lot of the wet ends on flex shafts not soldered or welded which could lead to the unwinding .

When using a flex shaft you have to be in a different mindset ( opposed to using a drum cable ) and are not designed to plow through stoppages but rather to be use as a finishing tool to scrape the walls of a pipe at high speed but like most things takes time and practice to master .

Comment

Using my c-10 cable with my drill seems to do just as good of job as flex shaft and easy to push down well over 100`

Comment

I got over a 100' of Eel " J " cable .. mine have a 3/8 " inner core and comes in 6 ' lengths ( Eel also offers a heavy duty 1/2 " inner core ) . What I was planning to do cut one down just leaving a short piece the inner core and attach my 3/8" Picote 4-6 " chain knocker , problem is it's attached to my self made flex shaft and I must of used the wrong loctite on the grub screws and they won't back out ( Grrr ) .

I figured I just buy another but no one seems to have them in stock . I was on planning to run them without a outer jacket but until I get a knocker for the Eel whacker it's on the back burner .

Comment

• Cable or root
          Cable or root commented
          Editing a comment
          Do you use the j cable for mains or just secondary lines? Does j cable use the same 1 1/4 heads or are the 7/8 different from the 1 1/4?

• drainman scott
          drainman scott commented
          Editing a comment
          I mainly use them for 2 " commercial kitchen floor drains & inside mains through a closet bend ... There is a special adapter to connect to 1 1/4 " Eel L connectors ... Without the adapter the cutter sets for J cable are not inter connectable with 1 1/4 " Eel ... I have run Eels 1 1/4 " bulb head for 3 - 4 " PVC with the adapter with J cable .

I own one of the original Clog Dogs. I bought it because normal cables are hole punchers.
        I could open up a line and put in my camera and be Horrified at what was still in there.

If a line has heavy roots you need to open it up with something else.
        It's much like a K-60 as only good for light - medium roots.

Another feature is it can go into smaller cleanouts.

Using Flexshaft in a main line without a camera is simply not using it to its capacity.

I would never buy another Flexshaft (unless it was a good deal) but I would make one!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_24249.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	3.57 MB
ID:	747137 This works as good if not better for roots Will go 150` with no problem unlike flex shaft.

Comment

• fixitright
            fixitright commented
            Editing a comment
            The camera never lies.
        Working...
        X