Sewer Auger for New Plumber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sewer Auger for New Plumber

Hey guys as the title says I recently started a service plumbing company in Canada, Alberta and I'm looking at adding a main line cleaning solution to my arsenal. I've used Ridgids lineup in the past as an employee when replacement equipment was free, but now that I'm going out on my own I'm looking for advice on a machine that's going to be reliable for clearing between 100-150' including the nastiest of roots. I know the Ridgid name comes at a premium but I'm looking for something that's not going to break the bank of my startup. Any help/info is greatly appreciated! Also if there's a combo kit with a camera setup I'd also be very interested! Not impartial to Ridgid.
    Last edited by Intrinsic; 06-09-2021, 10:55 PM.

Drum or sectional?
    drum duracable dm 30. It's light enough that it won't kill you going up and down stairs without breaking your back. 120' of 11/16" cable will fit comfortably in the drum. For longer runs you can easily add a 40' or 50' extension from a motorcycle tire.

For sectional, dreel. Dreel will be your best friend. Loads of info on the dreel set up on this site. Do a search for dreel, eel, hole hawg, and timberwolf.

​​​​​​​K60 is ok and will get you by you just have to keep in mind that it's not going to get the really bad roots out of the way very quickly

Comment

You probably want both drum and sectional .. Some drain cleaning members here use RIDGID 7/8" ( K-60 ) cables with a drill ... I use a Dreel setup great for tough root stoppages and mostly a Spartan 300 drum machine or you could use DM30 as Cable or root suggested because of the weight.

Cable Machines are good for confined spaces or you need to snake a line from a closet flange and sectional setup with a drill is good for roof vents and crawl spaces where a drum machine is not feasible . Best of luck to your startup .

Comment

Agree with the Dreel although150ft with a tough root blockage is asking a lot of a drill. For the longer runs I do have a 1hp Eel (prob only gets used about once a month)

FWIW: I've given up on the Hawgs. The newer models are crap. I've bought a few at $300 and only get about 9 months out of them. Try the Bosch GBM9-16. They can be found new for as low as $100 on sale (Home Depot about a year ago), currently $129 @ HD & Amazon. I got 2 years out of my last one and it pays for itself after just ONE job! I use mine a few times per day.

I also carry a Spartan 300(with Eel tool adapter) & K60. The 300 is no 1065 but with multiple passes it can handle most jobs within 75ft. K60 7/8 cable on a cordless drill for vents is a breeze (just be careful if they reduce to 1.5"...LOL)
        *using Eel tool adapter on 300 allows for adding Eel sections if you need a little extra too! (I like using J cables for this)

Last edited by MainDrain; 06-30-2021, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MainDrain View Post
          Agree with the Dreel although150ft with a tough root blockage is asking a lot of a drill. For the longer runs I do have a 1hp Eel (prob only gets used about once a month)

FWIW: I've given up on the Hawgs. The newer models are crap. I've bought a few at $300 and only get about 9 months out of them. Try the Bosch GBM9-16. They can be found new for as low as $100 on sale (Home Depot about a year ago), currently $129 @ HD & Amazon. I got 2 years out of my last one and it pays for itself after just ONE job! I use mine a few times per day.

I also carry a Spartan 300(with Eel tool adapter) & K60. The 300 is no 1065 but with multiple passes it can handle most jobs within 75ft. K60 7/8 cable on a cordless drill for vents is a breeze (just be careful if they reduce to 1.5"...LOL)
          *using Eel tool adapter on 300 allows for adding Eel sections if you need a little extra too! (I like using J cables for this)
          That's the same drill I use. Gets the job done

Comment

What is this EEl adapter? What size cables does it connect to on both ends?

Comment

Originally posted by SuperSnake View Post
              What is this EEl adapter? What size cables does it connect to on both ends?
              I use 5/8 x 75ft cable in my Spartan 300. They make an adapter that connects to Spartan cable which allows you to connect 1.25" Electric Eel cable/cutters. This makes changing cutters fast and easy. I can also use the same cutters on my drum machine as my sectional (Dreel) setup. I keep a 75ft cable in my 300 drum, this adapter allows you to extend this without having to change drums.

Sorry, I couldn't (quickly) find a pic to post.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	SpecialAdapters__32622.1592771983.png
Views:	184
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	749719

looks like the SP-43

Comment

I use 5/8 x 75ft cable in my Spartan 300. They make an adapter that connects to Spartan cable which allows you to connect 1.25" Electric Eel cable/cutters. This makes changing cutters fast and easy. I can also use the same cutters on my drum machine as my sectional (Dreel) setup. I keep a 75ft cable in my 300 drum, this adapter allows you to extend this without having to change drums.

Sorry, I couldn't (quickly) find a pic to post.

Thanks, I was hoping to find one for the .55 cables.

Comment

This works for adding the Eel cables to the front side, right? So if you are short and need more cable you would have to pull back the 75' and attach it to the front?
                    Last edited by SuperSnake; 07-17-2021, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperSnake View Post

This works for adding the Eel cables to the front side, right? So if you are short and need more cable you would have to pull back the 75' and attach it to the front?
                      Correct.
                      If I have the room I'll run the dreel but in some situations a drum machine may work better (running on carpet or if clean out is in a cabinet and u don't want sectional cables bouncing around for example).

Mostly for me its just convenient to have one set of cutters and changing Spartan cutters requires multiple tools and much more time than swapping out an eel cutter.
                      Last edited by MainDrain; 07-27-2021, 04:51 PM.

Comment

It sounds like someone makes an adapter so a Hole Hawg can be used with a drain cable? If this is the case, where can I find more info? I tried the suggested search but I guess I'm not smart enough since I really didn't find anything. Thanks, John

Comment

You buy a drive shaft for an electric eel model c and chuck it right into the drill.works great for roots

Comment

Thank you sir! I have a General Super Vee for small stuff but would like to be able to have something other than a flat snake for 3 and 4", the rental places are 1/2 hour one way and Ireally don't want to handle monsters anymore!

Comment

Thank you sir!

Comment

Working...
                              X