No announcement yet.

My Whacker has come a long way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$21.00 for the adapter...ok, no problem. $29 shipping from Finland...I think I will look around.
    "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

• fixitright
      fixitright commented
      Editing a comment
      I bought one somewhere for a bit less a couple of years ago to fix my Clog Dog. Tell us where you found them.
      Can't remember where I bought the last one. Still looking for best cables and sheaths. Hoping to get a PM from Rick or you.

If you’re using a snake cable, yes a normal drill chuck is acceptable.

if you’re using a true flex shaft like the pictures RIDGID one, then the drill adapter is necessary. Chucking it into a drill without the adapter will ruin the cable as it will unwind when you put a load on it.

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

If water is my friend when using the flex shaft, would it not be a good idea to run my little jetter in with it? With both cables marked well I should be able to keep it a foot or so behind it and supply a powerful source of water to wash every away that the flex shaft knocks off.
      "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

In lieu of ordering a cable shaft/chuck adapter from Finland for $50. I had the bright idea I was going to drill and tap the adapter that comes on the end of the Ridgid cable. No so bright, right? Nothing in my arsenal will touch it. So I am going to cut off this adapter and use a rod coupling that I drill and tap like Rick mentioned. Unless that is someone here has a source for a real bona fide adapter. Or maybe $50 is not such a bad deal afterall...
        I got a chuckle when I received the Ridgid knocker and saw that it is made in Finland. Click image for larger version

Name:	20220912_180146.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	810.8 KB
ID:	753889Click image for larger version

Name:	20220912_173938.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	753890

Comment

https://www.clogsquad.com/shop/

Check them out for the adapter.

Still working out the outer casing for my own version of a WHACKER.

Comment

• indeepinchicago
            indeepinchicago commented
            Editing a comment
            Air brake hose is what I have seen being used for the casing.

• fixitright
            fixitright commented
            Editing a comment
            That's what I figured. That and regular 3/8ths cable to start. Was wondering about the casing diameter for different sized cable, 3/16, 3/8 and 1/2.
            I was going to use compressor oil for lubrication.

Are the carbide tipped knockers for the 1/4" cable too aggressive for 2" pvc if use judiciously (only running it when the stoppage is encounter, not staying in one place too long, running water)?

Comment

• PLUMBER RICK
            PLUMBER RICK commented
            Editing a comment
            carbide chains are not recommended on plastic as it can scratch the plastic, no different than a cutter on a snake will also scratch it. just keep it moving and don't stay in 1 place. running non carbide in cast or clay wears the chain out super fast, especially small link chains. i reinforce my chains to avoid wear.

Rick

Rick, I gotta ask, it seems like many people are getting a kink on their flexshafts, how have you avoided this?. So far I understand that you have your drill at full speed but 75% of the clutch max

Im considering buying one but everyone is saying they kink all the time and it becomes a pain to get if fixed etc..

Thanks

Comment

Smaller flexshaft cables will kink easier than larger. No different than a normal snake cable. There is a learning curve and feel. Especially with 6mm/ 1/4” flexshaft cable. Having space between the chain and casing will allow it to kink easier if over aggressive pushing and hitting the tight fitting or stoppage. Adjust the clutch to a softer setting. It’s all in the feel, no different than fishing.

Today I ran 38’ of 1/4” cable in an old 2” gal line. Cleaned the line , but couldn’t pass 38’ running both forward and reverse rotation. Didn’t want to press my luck so I stopped before I damaged the cable or lost the chain.

my larger cables 3/8 and 1/2” are running full speed no clutch with a 7 amp hammer drill. Cable jumps if I stall. That’s my clutch and warning signs.

Rick.

phoebe it is

Comment

Need help with crimping the ends of my flex shaft. Where can I buy and what size crimps do I need for 3/8, 5/16 and 1/4?
              Where can I buy a good hydraulic crimper? I'm going to use regular cable if that matters. Thank you.
              I've given up on set screws holding the cable, a metal crimp seems the way to go.

Comment

• PLUMBER RICK
                PLUMBER RICK commented
                Editing a comment
                Set screws work fine on snake cable. on true flexshaft you have to be careful not to over screw as it can cut the cable strands.
                As far as a crimper, Harbor freight has a hydraulic crimper for wires. should put enough pressure to crimp. where are you getting the crimp ends from?

Rick,

• fixitright
                fixitright commented
                Editing a comment
                That's what I'm looking for is the crimp ends. None to be found yet.

Thanks Rick

Comment

I parked all my flex shafts with the bearing eating K-60`s in the back room. Most of the sewers we do are 100` or more and the flex shafts are like trying to push a wet noodle up a wild cats a$$. We just use the C-10 cable with the M 18 drill now days 90% of the time. If it`s really bad roots we get the K-7500 out. I`ve been gonna cut the flex shafts down to 50` but haven`t ever gotten around to it as 100` just don`t seem to work. BTW.... Hi Rick
                Attached Files
                http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Crap shaft too much drama for me.

Comment

Done thousands of cleanings with my Rick Whacker and have had very few breaks. It's all in the feel and materials used. haven't used my k60 for 3+ years. My jetter is seeing a 80-90% drop in use. still use my k50 sectional cables. Rarely use my 1.25'' drill cables.

When others can't hack it, Rick will Whack it.

Rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                    X