Pulling a ship out of a bottle with the reverse auger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulling a ship out of a bottle with the reverse auger

Not quite a ship, but basically a mop. Had a 3" janitorial sink with American Standard 3" Trap. Sink was plugged solid after recent construction. Lost of sand and grit coming up and I couldn't get the 5/8 sectional through the stoppage with all the debris. Gave up after 30 minutes and decided to cut the vent riser to bypass the trap.

Drilled a 3/4" hole with a step drill into the 2" gal 1950's pipe. Threaded my 5/8" Rick reverse auger into the hoke powerd by my electric drill and chuck adapter. Hit a solid mass about 5' in, which should be the vertical to horizontal main. Fought it for a minute before it cleared. Now for the fun. As I powered the cable back through the hole, i had a wad of mop strings coming back and couldn't pull them out, even though I had my cable out of the 3/4" hole. Grabbed the leading fibers with pliers and couldn't belive the mass on the first pass.

Enjoy the photos while you can, as they will be history Jan 4th.

Rick.

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	297.0 KB
ID:	754493

3/4" hole i drilled into the 2" gal vent for access to the main.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	305.3 KB ID:	754494
    starting to pull out the mop fibers with cable removed.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	261.6 KB ID:	754495

All this from 1 pass with the Rick reverse 5/8" auger.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	341.0 KB ID:	754496

Yes. old 1950s american standard janitoral sink. Seen better days, But now it's draining to see more days.

​​​​​​​Building maintenance dept will either cut in a cleanout above the sink at my mark, or put a cork in it to seal the vent opening.
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 11-04-2022, 10:35 AM.
    phoebe it is
Working...
X