No announcement yet.

3/8 snake down a 4inch main line.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just curious, for those of you who have used both drum and sectional machines extensively, do you prefer the sectionals? And why?

I have always used drum machines and the sectionals look interesting but awkward and slow to use.

Comment

I have both types but prefer the sectional machines. They may be a little slower but I've never felt fast drain cleaning was a plus. With a sectional machine the machine only turns the cable which is in the line. It does not make sense to spin 100' of cable to hit a stoppage 30' in.

The other part I like about sectional machines is they are easier to get and use on the roof and when you bend a cable it is one length not the entire length. I purchased my first sectional machine, a K-50 in 1975.

I also own a K60, a KM1500 and a K500. When I still had my shop every service truck had a K50 on it. On one stormy night I cleared 200 feet of 24” culvert pipe which was full of sand with my KM1500 a 1 ¼” cable and a fire hose. Not many drum machines could have done that.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Thanks for the reply Utah.

You make some strong selling points for the sectionals. In terms I never have thought in before too. The fact they only spin cable in line not entire length seems a definite plus obviously. Portability, weight, another. And kinking just a section of cable as opposed to an entire 50' length is a big time plus.

Three S's, or things only I still have slight reservations about, space and speed and sanitary.. Although the sectionals only spin cable that is in the line and are easier to transport as result it also seems to me going this route would take up more space than a drum machine because the sections of cable also need to be stored. They also would need to be at least wiped, if not rinsed, before removal and storage....I can't fathom pulling those things out of a previously filled main line and having to handle and store them individually without doing so, and without the use at least of a drop cloth or tarp under the entire operation. With most drum machines, at least the enclosed drum machines I'm used to like Spartans and Gorlitz's, the cable just retracts in the drum and not much of a mess to worry about, you just drain the drum afterwards outside.

Unfortunately speed is a concern when you have multiple calls coming in and customers waiting. Though I don't do this line of work much anymore, when I did it was everything I could usually do to get one ticket done and get on to the other. It's a busy industry, or can be if you don't have alot of competition. I however do respect and agree with you on this though. Anyway, it's hard to beat a self feed equipped drum machine for sheer speed snaking.

Far as a culvert pipe full of sand, I think I'd use a jetter.

That all said, I have been curious because I have talked with a few guys recently who have been using some of the newer Electric Eel sectional machines and they are swearing by them, and Ridgid's look like some indestructible well built machines as well, and have been wondering if that is'nt actually maybe the way to go.

Thanks again!

[ 11-14-2005, 05:37 AM: Message edited by: AZPlumber ]

Comment

Working...
        X