BEST SMALL LINE CLEANER

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BEST SMALL LINE CLEANER

I DO DRAIN CLEANING AND REPAIRS ON LARGE MANICIPALITY LINES. SO, I DO NOT KNOW A LOT ABOUT SMALL INSIDE RESIDENTIAL LINES. I WANT TO BUY SOME DRAIN CLEANERS. I AM THINKING ABOUT STARTING OUT WITH JUST A SMALL K-26,K-39 HANDGUN,OR A K-40 MACHINE. WHAT SEEMS TO WORK THE BEST ON THESE SMALL LAV DRAINS AND SUCH? THANKS IN ADVANCE!

MARCO, ARE YOU SURE THAT YOU DON'T WORK FOR MARCO DRAIN CLEANERS?
    TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS THE K25/26 ARE BOTH HAND CRANK MACHINES. IF NOT USING THEM TOO OFTEN YOU CAN GET AWAY WITH THESE. PEROSNALLY I DON'T. THE K-39 IS A MACHINE I HAVE 6 OF IN DIFFERENT CONFIGURATIONS. THEY COME IN A COMBINATION OF A SLIDE CHUCK, POWER FEED AND 3 JAW CONE CHUCK. THE SLIDE CHUCK WILL SLIP UNDER LOAD AND WILL NOT SPIN CABLE WITHOUT AT LEAST 3 TURNS OF CABLE LEFT IN IT. APPROX. 5' OF CABLE NOT BEING ABLE TO USE. THE POWER FEED OPTION IS A BETTER CHOICE, IT DOESN'T SLIP. BUT IT ALSO LEAVES APPROX. 5' OF CABLE IN IT. THE CONE CHUCK GRIPS THE BEST, BUT YOU HAVE TO HAND FEED IT AND WILL FEED AND GRIP TO THE LAST INCH.
    PERSONALLY I START WITH THE POWER FEED UNIT AND IF NEEDED WILL THEN SWAP TO THE 3 JAW CHUCK MACHINE IF I GET STUCK OR NEED TO SPIN IT TO THE END.
    AS FAR AS THE K-40, SAVE YOUR MONEY. OR JUST GIVE IT TO ME AND I'LL BE GLAD TO GET IT OFF MY HANDS. THIS HAS TO BE THE BIGGEST DISAPOINTMENT IN MY COLLECTION OF DRAIN MACHINES. AFTER WAITING FOR MONTHS TO RECIEVE IT FROM A SNEAK PREVIEW AT A TRADE SHOW MANY YEARS AGO , I SHOULD HAVE JUST GIVEN IT BACK. PLEASE BUY IT FROM ME, BUT I WARNED YOU FIRST.
    GOOD LUCK RICK.
    PS. OUT OF ALL YOU MENTIONED, IF I ONLY HAD 1 TO BUY. I WOULD BUY THE K-39 WITH THE 3 JAW CHUCK.

Comment

I would consider the K-50 with the bulb adapters on the back. I've been using them for thirty years and have been very pleased with them.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

PLUMER RICK,
        Do you share the same opinion of the K-50 as the other reply I recieved above?

I do lots of sewer line renewels. The customers almost always ask if I do drain cleaning. I hate turning away bussiness. I'm sure you all understand that. So, I need to know what equiq. to begin with. Then learn and grow into larger equiq.
        Thank you so much. MARCO

Comment

MARCO,THE K50 IS A COMBINATION SECTIONAL AND SMALL DRUM MACHINE. FOR SOME REASON ON THE WEST COAST WE TYPICALLY DON'T USE SECTIONAL MACHINES. ALTHOUGH I DO OWN A LARGE GENERAL SECTIONAL MACHINE. STILL WAITING TO BRING IT TO A JOB. YOU MIGHT WANT TO ASK TOUTAHNOW FOR HIS INPUT SINCE HE IS THE ONE THAT HAS SUGGESTED THIS MACHINE.
          I REPEAT WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T GET SUCKERED INTO THE K-40 MACHINE.
          P.S ANY SUCKERS OUT THERE INTERESTED IN A SLIGHTLY USED K-40. I HAVE SOME SWAMP LAND FOR SALE TOO.

Comment

Marco,

I’m not sure what part of the country you are in but I noticed from your email address that you are US Army. Thank you for your service and may I ask if this equipment is a side job or is it part of your duty?

My oldest son was here in California on leave until yesterday. He is a Unit Commander/Apache pilot with the 101st out of Fort Campbell and will be on his way back to Iraq shortly. He is also a pretty fair plumber but a service truck is no competition for an Apache.

Getting back on the subject at hand Plumber Rick is correct. Very few shops in the Los Angeles area use the K-50 due to the perception a sectional rodder is too much work. The only shops in Los Angeles I know who use them are mine and any plumber who has ever worked for me and started his own shop.

The K-50 is without a doubt the most versatile residential drain cleaning machine ever made bar none. For sinks, tubs, laundry risers and floor drains you install bulb augers on the machine which will run either 5/16” or 3/8” cable. It works just like a drum machine but the clutch gives you incredible control over the cable. It also packs nicely in a service truck.

When you want to clean a larger line you use the 5/8”X71/2’ sectional cables. The cables are flexible enough to negotiate an 1 ½” cast trap yet strong enough to clear a tough stoppage. The advantage to a sectional rodder is you only turn the weight of the cable in the drain while a drum machine you are still turn a 100’ cable when you’re only 10’ in the drain. Ridgid recommends only cleaning to 100” but I regularly run up to 200” without a problem.

When using the 5/8” cable you have to be careful not to get into roots in anything larger than a 2” line. I have used a 5/8” cable to clean laterals but it is only to poke a hole in the line as an emergency knowing I will follow up with a larger machine.

The other advantage to a sectional rodder is if you bend the cable you lose a 7 ½’ cable rather than a 100’ cable. If you are in a hurry to clean a drain a drum machine is fine. If you want the ability to feel the stoppage a sectional machine is the way to go.

Mark

Comment

Mark,
              I do work in Northwest Fl., where I grew up. But, like your son I'm also stationed @ Fort Campbell. I live in Hopkinsville,KY. I did plumbing in FL before I went into the Army and I loved it. So I have been going home about every 2 weeks to catch up on the side work. I get out in Sept./Oct. time frame. Then I will go back to plumbing full time.
              Thanks for the addvice.I will for sure check on a K-50 now.

SO, One more question: IF I'M GOING TO MAKE THIS A HABIT, WOULD YOU SUGGEST THAT I HAVE BOTH (K50/K39) ON MY TRUCK.
              Basically, If you don't mind me me asking: WHAT DO I NEED ON MY TRUCK TO DO EFFECIENT AND GOOD DRAIN CLEANING? Thank you for your time too, MARCO

Comment

Marco,

With the K-50 there is no reason to own a K-39. The K-39 is a poor mans small line cleaner. When using the K-39 you have your hands full just holding the pistol grip and the chuck. With the K-50 you set it down and with one hand you operate the clutch and the other hand you feed the cable. Again you are feeling the cable as it goes in.

If you were to carry a K-50 on your truck it would clean everything out there except for a main line with heavy roots. For a main line with heavy roots I would go to a drum machine unless the roots were real bad.

If the roots were real bad or if you had concrete in the lines I would go to a K-1500 sectional rodder. I don't use my K-1500 or my K-500 much but they are the machines which will clean where no one else can.

I once cleared an 18" culvert pipe full of sand from a landslide during heavy rains. It took a line from a fire hydrant and my K-1500 but I cleared a 200 foot line and saved a couple of homes which had all of the water that should have been going through the culvert going through them.

Bottom line one machine won't do everything. If I could only have one machine on my truk it would be a K-50. As you start out you will get a feel for what you need in your area. Just take it slow and invested your money in tools which will help your business grow.

Good luck - Mark

Comment

Working...
                X