X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow tub drain

My tub is draning slowly, has been for a year now and i'm tired of it. i've used all the liquid drain-o's i could use. i have very old plumbing. where it comes out of the tub, i have a brass can. i have already busted the lid off and cleaned it out last week. i snaked the line a little bit and it seemed to drain a little better. my question is sould i remove the can all together and use a k39 to snake it all the way to the main drain that runs to the basment? i have a septic system. so everything in the bathroom upstairs runs into that main drain line that goes through the wall and to the celler. how do i snake the main line or does gravity take care of that? i really dont want to tare the walls out to get to the clean out. do i approach it from the roof vent? i have a clean out in the celler if i need to snake from there. any of your expert advise would be appreciated. thanks alot -
    john
    A fishing pole is the best cordless tool!

First off, I am not a plumber. My brother did have a similar problem in the house he moved into a year ago. It is on septic and close to a lake, so he assumed his drainage problems were associated with the water level in the soil. However, when they got really severe, he called a professional. The plumber cleaned the pipe by going through the roof vent. He hit a major very hard blockage at about the level that the toilet connected to the down pipe. After all was said and done, it appeared that the septic system had backed up in the past and the toilet paper (probably the 2-ply type according to the plumber) had floated up into the vent and hardened into a paper-mache (sp?) type plug in the vent. Since then, my brother has had no more slow drain problems. Needless to say, you won't find extra-fluffy Charmin in his house.
    Based on that, going from the roof may have advantages.
    Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Thanks gofer never thought of that type of problem! That will be one of the things i will check for this weekend when i start to tear into this job.

Comment

Sorry about the miss spell on your name Gofor!!!!!!!!!

Comment

john

you may have done this already . in the tud , is there a cover with holes and a screw at the tud drain ?

take this off and look into drain there should be a cross of metal that the screw goes into . this is a good spot to colect hair . hope this helps.
          Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
          http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
          http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by chic
            My tub is draning slowly, has been for a year now and i'm tired of it. i've used all the liquid drain-o's i could use. i have very old plumbing. where it comes out of the tub, i have a brass can. i have already busted the lid off and cleaned it out last week. i snaked the line a little bit and it seemed to drain a little better. my question is sould i remove the can all together and use a k39 to snake it all the way to the main drain that runs to the basment? i have a septic system. so everything in the bathroom upstairs runs into that main drain line that goes through the wall and to the celler. how do i snake the main line or does gravity take care of that? i really dont want to tare the walls out to get to the clean out. do i approach it from the roof vent? i have a clean out in the celler if i need to snake from there. any of your expert advise would be appreciated. thanks alot -
            john
            john, not sure what a brass can is. i assume it's a trap you are referring to. you need to snake from the tub overflow plate, trip lever assy.if you do have a trip lever assy, you'll have to remove it prior to snaking. if it's only an overflow plate, then you can snake without removing. if this is a drum trap, you probably can't snake through it. then you might think about going onto the roof. an easy test is to run water from the vent for the tub. if it backs up into the tub, then snaking from the vent will work. keep in mind, i'm assuming that this is a vent for the tub only, and not a common vent stack. if you have a trap like we have here in calif, you'll be able to snake right through it and into the main. keep in mind that a k-39 is useless on anything bigger than 2'' pipe.

good luck, and ask again if you're confused

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Yes rick it is a drum trap. i busted the lid off of it and cleaned it out,but it was not that bad. and from the inside of the drum i pushed by hand a snake as far as i could go and as long as i could take the pain of my hand in that trap. did pull some hair out,but i need to go further.if only my wife with her long buetiful hair would take a shower in the cellar oh thats right there are to many spiders down there.this is were the k39 will come into play i hope.

Comment

I have to clean a huge hair clump out of my shower drain every year or so. I can't get my wife to remember to clean the drain cover off after her showers. Anyways... not to knock the hand snakes but I don't have much success with them. You wouldnt believe the difference a k39 or AutoSpin can have (its nice since I can borrow whatever machine I want to try). I usually advance about 20ft of cable out to make sure my blockages are far enough down the line. Make sure you let the cable scour the inside of the pipe well by letting it rotate as you advance the cable.

Definitely try taking of the drain cover and clearing the hair out of there like HVAC HAWK suggested as well as snaking through the Overflow.

Please don't take my advice as official professional advice. I'm just a DIY guy with access to drain cleaning tools.

Josh

Comment

Thanks josh will keep that in mind when i get the k-39 this weekend.well i got to get back to my bench i have a 65r waiting on me parts just came in.see ya!

Comment

still slow

Well took the drum trap out and had to rout it alittle different,but got no leaks. before i put the new trap set up on i ran a snake through the line .Iam not experiance in doing this i think i came aross an elbo under my floor cause the snake would not go any further.needless to say i have a new trap set up but i still haVE A SLOW DRAIN.well my next step is either call in the pros or rent a k-50 or 60 and go up on the roof and feed it through the vent!!!! oh boy....my arms hurt my legs hurt myneck hurts from being shoved into tight quarters.HATS OFF TO ALL YOU PLUMBERS. YOU WILL NEVER HEAR FROM ME THAT PLUMBING IS AN EASY JOB!

Comment

oh boy....my arms hurt my legs hurt my neck hurts from being shoved into tight quarters.HATS OFF TO ALL YOU PLUMBERS. YOU WILL NEVER HEAR FROM ME THAT PLUMBING IS AN EASY JOB!
                      thats Wye i am glad i do not do plumbing for my job anymore

I'm 6'5" tall and 285 lb ,I'm not good in small spots or under a vanity i did get stuck in a small vanity and had to brake it to get my arms out
                      Charlie

new work pictures 12/09

Comment

Hi,
                        If you put a bend in your cable 3 inches from the end you'll be able to make the elbow. Your bulb end is butting the end of the pipe inside the elbow. Also you can open the bulb tag slightly to help get over the "step". Make the bend in the cable so the bulb tag is on the outside of the rotation. Inner core cable makes it much easier too, more torque and less kinks. Cables will take more torque in the winding closed direction than the unwinding direction. Ridgid cables can be wound in either direction. Usually a one-piece bulb auger cable is stronger in reverse rotation (closing the wind).
                        You'll get through when you have the cable bent in the right place. (takes a like trial & error).
                        Best, Dennis...........
                        Last edited by Dennis/Ohio; 02-12-2006, 07:33 AM.

Comment

slow drain;one more ?

Well today i went to my buddys hardware store and got his k-39 one more time,ya just couldn't resist! well i stuffed the cable in hit the trigger and proceeded to snake.Itook dennis advice and bent the cable and it seemed to me well at least that i was making some progress and just thenSNAP!!! yA YOU GUESSED IT THE CABLE SNAPED IN THE DRUM. So i buttoned everything up and took the machine back and well i was there bought some draino .OK hear is my question : when the water is going i hear a noise like a flapper valve. i took out the plung rod and sring and i still hear this noise and it seems to impead the flow of water. does anybody know what this could be? well the water is going down better,iwas wondering if there is some thing in the pipe maby it was hung up and stopping the flow alltogether.(i did run a hand snake through the overflow pipe and the tub drain) any thoughts???? IF IT GETS ANY SLOWER,I'M CALLING A PLUMER!

Comment

carefull with the draino. i've seen tubs and fixtures ruined with draino and other caustics that sat in the line or fixtures.

rick.

spell check plumber
                            phoebe it is

Comment

if you go with a plumber may i suggest ECS
                              to do the job i hear he is good at a fair rate

sorry i had to do it

ecs
                              Charlie

new work pictures 12/09

Comment

Working...
                              X