X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Drains and Drain Cleaning

I'm in Southern California, going on 59, and desperate to add-on drain cleaning because it seems to be a place that a guy can make some money.

I need training and good equipment, and since my Rigid wet/dry vac works so well, I figured I'd give some time to the Rigid web site; Now, I find this thread and am I glad!

I don't intend to do main drains because I'm too heavy, took a bad fall from a ladder a few years ago, and I don't want to buy anyone a new roof. I expect to work on bath tub drains, sinks, and toilets. I suppose I can go beyond, but I'll wait until I learn enough to stay out of trouble with the small stuff.

Currently I'm doing trauma cleaning and polishing concrete. The concrete polishing has nearly bankrupt me because of its expense and problems with customers paying. I figure I won't have as much problem with people paying to have their drains cleaned.

Good to be here!

Comment

Ed,

I don't believe there is a service job out there that doesn't have some type of problems with collecting money.

I have said it before and I will say it again, if I could only own one machine in the World it would be a Ridgid K-50. With the K-50 you can install a canister with a 5/16" cable to use it as a drum type top snake for lavs and bathtubs or a second canister with 3/8" for a top snake with attitude or use it as a sectional rodder with the 5/8" cable for everything else. It is also great on the roof if you choose to go on the roof.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow
        Ed,

Ridgid K-50
        Mark
        I'll look for it. What about the Auto Spin Drain Cleaner advertised at the top of this forum? Is it too small for daily use?

I have a book on order and I hope it will cover drains and the size cables I'll need. I figure that I can run around doing friends and relatives drains, need it or not, before going out into the real world.
        Thanks for the comments -- very helpful.

Ed Evans

Comment

Ed,

I have never seen or use the K-40. My impression of the K-40 is it is a Home Owners tool which would not last under professional use.

Here are some links to the K-50. The package I would recommend is the K-50-8 or Ridgid catalog # 59000.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/K50-Drain-Machine/index.htm

http://www.ridgid.com/catalog/RT2004-152.pdf

Mark

Comment

I'm beginning to see why you recommend the K-50 8 96000 model.
            I don't see if it is 110V or 220V. 110 would be the preferred power for residential work, I figure.

http://www.heavydutystore.com/db/cat...e_1_c_377.html

Thanks,
            Ed Evans

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Evans
              I'm beginning to see why you recommend the K-50 8 96000 model.
              I don't see if it is 110V or 220V. 110 would be the preferred power for residential work, I figure.

http://www.heavydutystore.com/db/cat...e_1_c_377.html

Thanks,
              Ed Evans
              Ed,

The 59000 is the 115 volt model

Ridgid is currently having a promotion for two more weeks where you get a free A17 canister for buying the 59000

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Spring-F...rain/index.htm

I buy all of my tools online at Toolup.com. They have 10% on all the Ridgid tools they have which will save you another $121.00.

http://www.toolup.com/productinfo.as...0&Manuf=Ridgid

This kit only gets you 45' of the 5/8" so I would recommending buying another 60' of 5/8" after you get started.

Good luck - Mark

Comment

K-50

I will go with the K-50. I recall a conversation abou a year ago with a plummer and he mentioned the K-50, too.

Now I need to do the proper marketing (If you build it they will come.).

I'm on the Internet, for starts.

Thanks,
                Ed Evans

Comment

mark, i used my k-50 this morning (1:30 am)at an emergency job in a medical center. i ran 24' through a 2'' c/o to clear a 3'' line. no 3'' c/o to snake from. what ever was there was a little bit tough. fortunatly i just recieved a 1.5'' spiral saw tooth cutter that day in the mail.

ed, i wish you luck in your new business, but i also give you some advise.

although you want to start off with small jobs at friends and family. there is a whole lot more to drain cleaning than pushing a spinning cable through a plugged up pipe. the 25+ years i have in plumbing, both new construction and repair, has made it much easier for me to properly ascess what i'm up against. prime example was the emergency that i had this morning at the medical center.

just start off small so you don't get in over your head, and also you need to look into liability insurance. water, waste and mold is very expensive to properly clean up when "**** happens"

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Re: K750

Originally posted by ECS View Post
                    I think I already know the answer to this question but I'm going to ask anyway. I was looking at a used K750 today and when I hit the foot switch, after about 3 or 4 seconds, the entire unit wanted to start jumping up and down. Sort of like a washing machine with an unbalanced load. Although I don't have a lot of drain cleaning experience, I'm certain that this is not supposed to happen. What I don't know is whether this is a minor, correctable problem or cause to run the other way? They wanted just over $1000 but I'm certain that they will take less. I'm not sure what they are new but probably a good bit more than $1000. Any advice from those who have extensive drain cleaning experience would be appreciated.
                    I to have a k750 and have always had this problem. The cable causes the machine to become out of ballance. I buy entrance rugs at Menards and lay the carpet side down. This alows the machine to move just enough to counter the movement of the machine. Leave the machine down on it's wheels. It also protects the floor.

Comment

Working...
                    X