X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drain machines

I've been cleaning drains non-stop since the late 90's and I've only had the oppurtunity to use a Ridgid machine one time (K-40). It was a great machine for what I was doing at the time. My company handed over a K-750 to me today and I was wondering what people thought of it. I've always used the sleigh machines when it came to sewer mains. I've been using a Duracable DM-52 until today. It seems like a great idea to have a dolly-type machine seeing as how on most of our sewer stoppages we have to pull the commode to run it and the 52 is too wide to make it thru the bathroom door. Now I can move the machine right close to the flange and run it instead of having to fight the cable and machine harder than the stoppage. Only thing I'm worried about is will this new machine have as much torque and power as the 52. Sometimes we have to add another cable to get to the city sewer and that is the time I need it to be just as powerful as it was with only 100' out. I have seen another brand machine (very well known brand) that just barely flops when you add additional cable. Needless to say I'll never use that name. Also,I have yet to use it on a main, does the K-750 bog down when you come across an obstruction? My sleighs never did and I've always wondered if bogging down was obstacle in itself. Does it get as much pulling action at the roots if it bogs? Well, any comments will be appreciated and I'm absolutely stoked about using my new machine. Thanks.
    Last edited by drainmany; 02-08-2006, 10:37 PM.

the k-750 is a good machine. the k7500 is even better. the nice thing with these 2 models is that the drum is enclosed and will be much better for the indoor work you do. the 750 is not going to be as strong as the 7500, but i've never had an issue with going 200'. the real issue is why are you running from indoors through a closet bend

typically if this is a reoccuring issue,i will have an outdoor cleanout to use. no fun working a root issue from indoors, especially through a closet bend.

i own 2 of the 7500 and a 750. the 750 i have is brand new. it replaced 1 that was stolen and 1 that i retired. i prefer the 7500 for 99% of the jobs. although i do have big plans for the 750. can't discuss it, cause it might be worth something in the near future

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Rick are you going to make some sort of super cleaning machine out of a 750?

I use the k7500 daily and have never had any trouble running 200ft. Feels just as strong as 10ft. I use 3/4" cable. Bogging down has to do with the motor compensating for the obstruction. It's also an audible sign that you are getting into something. The enclosed drum is a very nice feature, cuts cleanup time down to a fraction of what it would be with a basket drum. Does the k750 have the stairclimber?
      Little tip on the 750 - I'm thinking the drums of the 750 and 7500 are similar - on mine there is a grease fitting on the back of the drum through a litttle hole. It's really hard to get to - but it's important that you grease it often (once a month). It makes the drum bearing last longer.

Comment

K750

I think I already know the answer to this question but I'm going to ask anyway. I was looking at a used K750 today and when I hit the foot switch, after about 3 or 4 seconds, the entire unit wanted to start jumping up and down. Sort of like a washing machine with an unbalanced load. Although I don't have a lot of drain cleaning experience, I'm certain that this is not supposed to happen. What I don't know is whether this is a minor, correctable problem or cause to run the other way? They wanted just over $1000 but I'm certain that they will take less. I'm not sure what they are new but probably a good bit more than $1000. Any advice from those who have extensive drain cleaning experience would be appreciated.

Comment

sorry it's taken a couple of days to reply. the region of the country i'm in is 95% finished basements so it makes the sewer lines on average about 8+ ft. deep. Unfortunately not alot of cleanouts installed and 2 man roof vent prices are too much for most of the clients along with the fact that the houses are typically two story at ground level. I sometimes discuss with my regular customers having a cleanout put in but they always say they will wait until the sewer line is replaced entirely to put cleanouts in. Lots of clay tile pipe still here in this city but since I have to go thru 3 inch closet bends I don't feel I'm giving them the service they should be getting. I camera the line to show them the difference in the 2 adjoining pipes but they don't seem to care enough. One thing I do love is running a big ol' pair of 4 inch cutters down a cleanout thru a 4 inch clay tile pipe. The feel of the machine working it's way thru the roots, watching the water in the cleanout move a little when you hit the culprit root-ball, hearing the water splash into the city sewer when you get the line open. It's a beatiful thing. Someday I'll have my own drain cleaning company but I haven't decided on whether to go rate book pricing or t&m. My company is rate book right now and I think it's just too high to be competitive with the drain cleaning companies. We're a plumbing company and for some reason my boss doesn't advertise drain cleaning. the customer has to call and ask if we clean drains. Crazy huh? I tell him, I say Sir there is money in drain cleaning. Your machines have already paid for themselves how many fold? Diversify into drain cleaning and let that money take you a little farther in the plumbing industry. I'm talking to him now about getting 2 jetters cause it seems like that is the way the drain cleaning industry is moving. For some reason he doesn't want to go that path. Now back when i was in Arkansas there were 3 of us drain cleaners working for one man and he paid us very well. he also built himself a 250,000 dollar home from this business. Now a 250k home in Arkansas is pretty much a mansion and where i am in the country 250k will only get you the essential house;roof,walls,utilities and nothing special. I'll probably move back to Arkansas when I start my company. Anyway, I don't know exactly where i'm going with that, i just kept on typing, sorry. I still haven't got a chance to use my 750 yet, hopefully it will be soon.

Comment

theron, the k-750 has a skid type stair climber. basically a piece of plastic, teflon that is bolted onto the frame. not very good on brick stairs. as far as a super k-750 machine. no but a super portable machine, yes. that's all for now.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by ECS
              I think I already know the answer to this question but I'm going to ask anyway. I was looking at a used K750 today and when I hit the foot switch, after about 3 or 4 seconds, the entire unit wanted to start jumping up and down. Sort of like a washing machine with an unbalanced load. Although I don't have a lot of drain cleaning experience, I'm certain that this is not supposed to happen. What I don't know is whether this is a minor, correctable problem or cause to run the other way? They wanted just over $1000 but I'm certain that they will take less. I'm not sure what they are new but probably a good bit more than $1000. Any advice from those who have extensive drain cleaning experience would be appreciated.
              ecs, the problem sounds like the cable is bunched up and not in the drum properly. or there is alot of water in the drum. i would take the cable all the way out to inspect the condition of it and then reload it in the drum. this way you can inspect and make sure it is balanced. i wouldn't pay much near $1000 for a used 750. the machine brand new with cutters and cable can be found for $1400.

truthfully a 7500 is a much better commercial machine.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

The Unversity that I work for is thinking about purchasing a couple of drain machines. They hired me to take care of the plumbing but, they still hire outside contractors to clean the drains. ?????? I'm looking at the K-750 and the K-7500. I'm curious to hear what you all think about them. Ridgid is sending someone out to demo both of them.
                If it weren't for your plumber, you wouldn't have any place to go!

Comment

Mastodon, I like your signature line. An old friend of mine used to work with the sanitation department. Over the door to the treatment plant they had a sign; "No valley too deep, No hill too tall: Your S..t's our bread and butter!"
                  Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

moving back to Arkansas?

Originally posted by drainmany
                    sorry it's taken a couple of days to reply. the region of the country i'm in is 95% finished basements so it makes the sewer lines on average about 8+ ft. deep. Unfortunately not alot of cleanouts installed and 2 man roof vent prices are too much for most of the clients along with the fact that the houses are typically two story at ground level. I sometimes discuss with my regular customers having a cleanout put in but they always say they will wait until the sewer line is replaced entirely to put cleanouts in. Lots of clay tile pipe still here in this city but since I have to go thru 3 inch closet bends I don't feel I'm giving them the service they should be getting. I camera the line to show them the difference in the 2 adjoining pipes but they don't seem to care enough. One thing I do love is running a big ol' pair of 4 inch cutters down a cleanout thru a 4 inch clay tile pipe. The feel of the machine working it's way thru the roots, watching the water in the cleanout move a little when you hit the culprit root-ball, hearing the water splash into the city sewer when you get the line open. It's a beatiful thing. Someday I'll have my own drain cleaning company but I haven't decided on whether to go rate book pricing or t&m. My company is rate book right now and I think it's just too high to be competitive with the drain cleaning companies. We're a plumbing company and for some reason my boss doesn't advertise drain cleaning. the customer has to call and ask if we clean drains. Crazy huh? I tell him, I say Sir there is money in drain cleaning. Your machines have already paid for themselves how many fold? Diversify into drain cleaning and let that money take you a little farther in the plumbing industry. I'm talking to him now about getting 2 jetters cause it seems like that is the way the drain cleaning industry is moving. For some reason he doesn't want to go that path. Now back when i was in Arkansas there were 3 of us drain cleaners working for one man and he paid us very well. he also built himself a 250,000 dollar home from this business. Now a 250k home in Arkansas is pretty much a mansion and where i am in the country 250k will only get you the essential house;roof,walls,utilities and nothing special. I'll probably move back to Arkansas when I start my company. Anyway, I don't know exactly where i'm going with that, i just kept on typing, sorry. I still haven't got a chance to use my 750 yet, hopefully it will be soon.
                    I was wondering where in the country you now call home. I've only lived in Arkansas for a short time, and moved from a place similar to the one you had described. Are you serious about coming back here to open business? If so, what city are you talking about. I really don't need any more competition

Comment

Hey Gofor, you've probably heard this one too...
                      Plumbing, it's a crappy job but, someone has to do it!
                      If it weren't for your plumber, you wouldn't have any place to go!

Comment

Originally posted by Mastadon
                        Hey Gofor, you've probably heard this one too...
                        Plumbing, it's a crappy job but, someone has to do it!
                        Funnist one I ever saw was on a septic tank pumping truck.

Your **** is My Bread and Butter
                        SSG, U.S. Army
                        Retired
                        K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooterforever
                          I was wondering where in the country you now call home. I've only lived in Arkansas for a short time, and moved from a place similar to the one you had described. Are you serious about coming back here to open business? If so, what city are you talking about. I really don't need any more competition
                          Well, I haven't really ever considered where I am as home, more like a stopping ground to view the Rocky Mountains for a bit. My true home is Fort Smith, born and raised, 26 years. I shouldn't be much competition for you, seeing how there is that 3 hour gap between us.

Comment

Originally posted by drainmany
                            Well, I haven't really ever considered where I am as home, more like a stopping ground to view the Rocky Mountains for a bit. My true home is Fort Smith, born and raised, 26 years. I shouldn't be much competition for you, seeing how there is that 3 hour gap between us.
                            Check my location.
                            SSG, U.S. Army
                            Retired
                            K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Originally posted by ECS
                              Two major things will cause most drum machines to get unbalanced like that, mostly it's usually a kinked cable....pull the entire cable out of the machine outside somewhere and inspect it. If you spot a bad kink or bend in the cable, that's most likely your culprit. Sometimes too, bearings go out and can cause this to happen, but I'd look at the cable first.

Comment

Working...
                              X