Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK

so a jetter with the proper nozzle will out do both the drum and sectional

rick.
    Sure but can you carry it all into the kitchen on a single trip and not make a mess?

There is a machine for every situation and nothing beats a jetter on a yard drain full of mud and roots.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow
      Sure but can you carry it all into the kitchen on a single trip and not make a mess?

Mark
      i usually keep the jetter outside. i tend not to jet from inside of a residence. i would try to find a c/o or a vent if need be. if all else fails then snake first to get it to drain then jet to properly clean.

all in all jetting from inside a home is not fun and can get messy. commercial is usually not an issue. i do many condo and apt. sub-terrainian buildings with waste piping hanging from the ceiling. this is the type of work that a jetter does a great job on. i can properly clean a 4'' line from a 2'' cleanout. try that with a snake

not knocking a snake, drum or sectional, the jetter is the best cleaner

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Rick,

I don't disgree with you for most drains a jetter is the way to go. My first ever jetter was one JM McKinney use to have made for them which they called a JM McKinney Maxi-Jetter.

Mark

Comment

the first jetter i ever rented was from jm mckinny. that was 15 years ago. after a 12 hour day and throwing away my clothes, i've perfected the jetting thing. i don't get dirty and i don't typically make a mess, even though jetting is a messy thing.

mckinney stopped renting jetters many years ago. i lost track on the # of jetters i have now. (my wife might read this) but i bought a trailer unit the day before we left on our honeymoon. the price was going up $4000. the next day. too bad it wasn't on our wedding registry

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow
            What you are missing is the sectional rodder uses a more flexible cable so you can use a larger cable and do a better job. You also are turning less weight thus giving more power to the stoppage. Whenever we had a drain a drum machine could not clear we would break out a sectional machine. I have used a 5/8 cable through a bathtub overflow and cleared a stoppage with a K-50 could you do that with a drum machine?

By the way I'm not sure what you mean by laying the sections out as you just uncouple them out of the cage as you need them.

Mark
            K-50 with 5/8" will work but try a adapter with 5/16 inner core for tubs. Must be inner core cable. The regular 5/16 is to easy to kink. Goes down a kitchen or batheroom sink too. As long as you have enough counter space to set the K-50 on the counter.
            Best, Dennis.......

Comment

Originally posted by AZPlumber
              When I did drain cleaning full time, I simply could'nt imagine myself using a sectional all the time. It would have taken me twice or three times as long to get anything done. Half the time I got called out to old houses with NO clean-outs, and had no other option but to pull a downstairs toilet and run it through. The drum machines are enclosed, so there is little to no splash and spill and drip with them....long as you make sure your drum is drained before you start. When you pull back the cable, obviously it goes right back into the drum and the onlt thing you have to worry about really is a little splatter from the spinning cable on return between the pipe and the machine, and that's easily caught and cleaned up. And half the time again, the runs were pretty darn long, many times going over 100 feet and requiring a drum switch-out.....I just can't imagine hauling in cable section after cable section, having to lay them out and then de-section them when it's time to pull out, wipe them or put down a tarp??? Oh puhleeze.....I just can't see it. Sure, the drum machine is pretty heavy to negotiate up and down some stairs, but I have hardly ever run into a situation where I just could'nt, and they allowed me to get in and out with minimal mess in the shortest amount of time, because when you are actually a drain cleaning pro, you don't have alot of time to waste with silliness like sectionals because your cell is ringing.......
              Just my two cents.
              I can tell by your reply, your talking about a Electric Eel model C sectional not a Ridgid K-1500 sectional. I appreciate your input, I like them all.
              Best Dennis.......

Comment

[QUOTE=PLUMBER RICK]mark, i finally got around to using my k-50. first job was a kitchen and laundry common 2'' stoppage with no c/o. ran the 5/8'' sectional from the 2'' washer standpipe. had the machine sitting on top of the dryer with a towel. after mastering the sequence of putting a small loop in the cable to allow for feeding, i got pretty quick with it. still tuff to couply and uncouple the cables with the "ugly" gloves on

was a bit slower than a drum machine, but i didn't have to move the machine or cut out the abs trap to get a larger cable and cutter in.

Rick,
                The K-50 can stay on the floor. Guide the cable with both hands and work the clutch with your foot. I've wondered about the front guide hose option but never got to try it.
                Best Dennis.........

Comment

You can also use your forearm to control the clutch.

Comment

I've owned both drum and sectional machines over the years and currently
                    have a K-1500 and 3 K-50s. When operating a sectional you have a better feel on what you're hitting, less chance of kinking the cable. Also if you kink a sectional cable it's alot cheaper to replace one section......just my 2 cents

Comment

K-1500b

Hello,Hello out there!

New to the forum and just browsing the plumbing discussion.I just want to assure Bryan H. he made a good decision on the purchase of the k-1500,well worth its weight in gold,along with the k-50+attachments you can tackle just about any pipe cleaning situation,residential,commercial and industrial.

Here is a trick that we have adapted to the ridgid sectional equipment,use a 5'x5'plastic tarp, the ones you see for roof repairs to keep the work area clean.What we do is carry the 1.25" cables,I prefer c-11s can go thru 4"p-trap,any-way put the cables in a 15"tire, a wider tire will carry 60' of c-11
                      cable,forget the ridgid cable carrier.Mark one side of the cable and always pull the cable out that side and always wind the cable back into the tire the same way,the tire works like a drum and the mess is contained to the tarp.With practice you will be able to run 60'to120' of cable very efficiently and then roll or carry the cables away even up and down the stairs.

Comment

I know I'm not supposed to do this, BUT. For anyone in KY/ Southern Indiana, I still have my K75 with all attachments for sale. LOL PM for details
                        info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

I've read thru a ton of posts regarding drain cleaning equipment and it seems that there is a consensus that the K-50 is the way to go on the smaller drain lines.

I have some questions that I would really appreciate an answer to, if you don't mind.

Are the sectional cables super flexible? Because there is no way I could get a 3/8" General wire inner core cable to go thru a tub p-trap, without doing damage to the trap assembly.

Also, I am having a hard time picturing using a sectional in a small bathroom. How is that done. Let's say you have a 5' x 5' bathroom, how can you use a sectional?

What is the likelyhood that a sectional comes apart in the drain and causes a bigger problem than you began with. Has this happened to any of you?

Thanks.

Comment

The best way to use a K-50 at the tub would be with one of the canisters with either a 5/16 or 3/8 cable. Either would go through the trap without a problem. While using the canister the K-50 is a drum machine.

The 5/8 is very flexible and will go through the 1 1/2" trap but I would only do it in an emergency. With the exception of the guide hose the foot print of the k-50 and cage is small. Even then you coulg wrap the guide hose in a loop around the K-50 and it would be smaller than a P-380.

After 1,000s of drains over 35-years I have never had a cable come apart in a drain. I have noted a problem with an end and not used that cable but that is a rare ocassion.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                            X