X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• main drain is blocked

ok here is the deal my 14 year old son think his *** deserves a whole rool of poop paperevrey time he has a movment.well maybe not the whole roll but more than is needed that is for sure.anyway h ave always be able to unstick the toilet every time be for sometime it take 2 mins other times it takes some drain cleaning products no i dont use draino i get the good stuff at home depot that comes in the black bottle and in a plastic bag for 15 bucks a quart and has always done good by me.but this time it is stuck but good 5 bottle later and a hand opreated toilet snake(ridgid ofcorse) and nothing the local plumbers in my area tell me they cant get here for 3-5 days and the cheapest price i have been quoted is $475 to 750 and well for that price i will just go to home depot and buy the dang thing i can get an offbrand on for $450 and will have it for along long time and save me 25 bucks while i'm at it but does it really cost this much to snake a drain? and before you ask we were useing quilted paper but after this we will no longer be using that and the line is 50 foot max and it is stuck so bad the it has backed up in the sinks and tub so this is a bad one thanks for any help i will only be able to wait till about 5 pm today so i hate to put the rush on you guys but i think you can under stand on this one
    9/11/01, never forget.

slow down chevy. i think my wife has somethng in common with your son. problem is she has never plugged the toilet in my house.

the price that you weree quoted is crazy. sounds like flat rate ecs.

why not just rent a machine for $50. if it works great. if not you're only out $50.

anyone that can give you a price over the phone sight unseen, i would stay away from. especially this high. typically with a c/o it souldn't take more than 30 minutes to properly clean. if you have to remove the toilet to access the line, then longer plus all the prep work. still not the big $$$.

for that kind of money, you can fly me out there and rent the machine and still buy me lunch

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

there has to be a better way
      9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

main drain is blocked

Originally posted by oldslowchevy
        there has to be a better way
        Yes there is. Call another plumber and stop pouring chemicals in the toilet bowl. Don't rent a machine yourself unless you want to maybe lose a couple of fingers NO JOKE, pay a pro for their time instead of wasting yours.

Comment

i've got a wife and 2 kids with that problem also. sometimes I think I should buy stock in Charmin and let my money work for me as it gets flushed down the toilet.

Comment

I do hope it's not Mule Kick or Calci-Solv your'e using 5 bottles of at a time. Good grief. If it is, I'm amazed you even have pipes or a flange left.

The line needs to be snaked, most probably by pulling the commode and running a sewer snake down the line from that point (unless you have any luck with a main line clean-out). Waiting that long for a rooter guy is kinda crazy, unless you live in a small town and there's only one guy and he's real busy. In most towns they can get there same day. The rates you are being quoted for a simple snake job is ridiculous, most charge around 100 to 150$/hour, and usually does'nt take over an hour. You can try renting a machine and doing it yourself, but if you don't have experience with them, as Eyes said, you could easily hurt yourself. If you do call a rooter out, do be sure to advise him you have poured caustic drain cleaners down the pipe so he's warned and won't get hurt or destroy his equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK
              for that kind of money, you can fly me out there and rent the machine and still buy me lunch

rick.
              LOL!! There ya go.

Comment

well guys i did have to rent an snake and 100 feet didnt get it but 120 fet did and no i have never used a powered snake before so i just went real slow with it going foward till it started getting a small bind then reverse then forward and so on i am aware of the damage one of these can do i have seen one cause $3000 in damage and break the opraters arm shoulder and some very very nasty cuts and gashes along with messing up the sink tub shower and tile walls so i may have been a bit over my head with this job but it didnt take that long (1-11/2 hours at most) but i did laern a few things along the way such as i only have a 3" main not the normal 4" cast iron atleast there is not a clean out that any one can find so the toilet had to come up (god i hate the wax ring) and just how much i now respect plumbers this was a very driry nasty job ( i puked 2 times) and you guys do this evey day!my hats off to you guys but i will never pay flat rate prices for something like this and is there any thing i can use to maitane this small main for years of trouble free opration??
                9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

this was a very driry nasty job ( i puked 2 times).....
                  LOL. Hope you had a spare bathroom! Heck my hat is off to all of you. I darn near yaked the first time I changed my sons diaper (Yet I have been cleaning out my own deer/elk/antelope/etc since I was 12 years old!)!!!

WWS
                  Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

!my hats off to you guys but i will never pay flat rate prices for something like this and is there any thing i can use to maitane this small main for years of trouble free opration??
                    chevy, what did you find on the end of the cable and cutters

i would add an outside cleanout so you don't have to pull the toilet and clean from inside the house. with an outside c/o you will probably have a 4'' line and cut your footage way down. also its much easier to clean and will allow for a lower opening to allow the waste to dump outside prior to backing up in the house.

i guess i don't get my lunch and mini vacation this time. maybe when you need to camera the line, you'll take me up on it

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

rick i have no idea what was at the end of the cable and cutter due to the fact that it went in to the sewer and washed it away befor i could get there to see what was. but on a lighter note i will up grade to a 4" main when i remodel this coming winter and i would be glad to have you out here then(no joke) but i will have to find out what permits will have to be pulled down here in florida they seem to be much pickyer then they were in maryland
                      9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

chevy, you should have 4'' outside of the building already

winter? i want spring break

winter i can ski
                        spring break i can look

you might have roots. since you're new to this house you might want to check with the old owner or your neighbors. if you do have roots, you'll know in the next 6 months. maybe a gator

i would locate the sewer where it exits the house and install a cleanout. not sure what materials you have. but out here a good location is 2' out from the house as the pipe turns from cast iron to clay. this is a location that is prone to roots. since you cleared the line at 120' , not sure how much footage this will save you. a camera can tell you what and where the pipe is, how deep, what material it's made of and what is possibly stopping up the line.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Oldslowchevy

Couldn't tell from your post where in FL or how old the house. From your logo which says Maryland, I assume its a second house or you just moved. I just moved from FL (Panama City) and had the house there 23 years (built it in '82). We had PVC sewer. Our biggest problem was after inital construction, when our bathtub would fill up when the neighbor washed clothes. Problem was sand in the lines after the point where ours and the neighbors drains tied together before going to the street manhole (cul-de-sac).
                          If you live near the beach and wash a lot of swimsuits, etc., or have an outside shower, you may be getting a sand buildup. That could really be a problem if the line isn't sloped correctly with a 120' run.
                          Some of the cities had a lot of ground water intrusion into the sewers which would cause the dirt/sand to back up into the home sewers when the water got high (hurricanes).
                          As a side note: we did have sewer cleanouts, (which saved my carpets) For the five weeks we had the problem and were figuring out where it came from and convincing the city it was their responsibility because it was under the pavement, I would pop the top on the clean-out to prevent the back-up from running out of the shower stall. Smelled for a bit but I had the prettiest lawn of all the years I lived there!!
                          Luck to you
                          Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

gofor i live in port charlotte witch is in the south west part of florida 30 miles south of sarasota and 30 mile north of fort meyers i onlr have a 3 inch main not a 4 and the house was built in 1961 had been added on to in 1973 and again in 1992.the house started out asa 660 sq ft 2 bed room and now is a 1900 sq ft 4 bed room and still with a single bath but this winter coming i plan on adding a new bath remodel the kitchen kill one of the bed rooms to expand the living roomi hope that helps oh and yes i still plan on installing a 4" main
                            9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Save enough money for good hurricane shutters (either buy or make), if you don't already have them. Or, you can buy plywood while its relatively cheap and pre cut covers for the windows and patio doors, etc. The prices skyrocket and the supply goes fast whenever one gets within 72 hrs. Either one sure cuts down the time to batten down the hatches. If you have a garage, don't forget to make bracing for the garage door. Thats usually the weakest point for high wind to break into the interior and start lifting the roof off. Once the roof goes, the rest of the house folds up like cardboard.
                              Not trying to worry you. A lot of the older homes are built sturdier than the newer ones (especially those built in the late '80s and early 90's), and the fact that its still standing says a lot. Just trying to give you a heads up on something to consider during the expansion. I hope you enjoy FL as much as we did for the 20+ years we lived there. Still sorry we had to leave.
                              Good luck on the drain thing. This forum has some of the most knowledgeable people on the subject that I've ever had the pleasure of listening to.
                              Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Working...
                              X