X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIGID Power Spin

My Power Spin helped me successfully clean a blockage; however, the snake separated from the handle/winding mechanism after the first use. Is there a diagram that will show me how to attach the snake end so it will coil properly in the drum?

I had the same problem after many, many uses. I removed the screws on the back of the drum and clipped the end of the cable onto the back of the drum...the part that is removed...there is a metal mechanism on it. It took several different tries to come up with a successful "arrangement".

Who would have guessed that it would have been such a hassle...

Comment

don't think the power spin model comes apart

the auto spin model does come apart.

we just finished this same discussion a few days ago.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK
        don't think the power spin model comes apart

the auto spin model does come apart.

we just finished this same discussion a few days ago.

rick.
        Rick, I'm sorry that I missed the same discussion a few days ago...I'm just trying to share my experiences.

I own both the power spin and the auto spin, so I do know what I'm talking about...I don't know alot, but what I do know, I know.

I've learned alot from guys like you on plumbing forums over the years and I appreciate the opportunity to be involved in quality forums like this. I look forward to sharing my experiences and small amount of expertise with you folks in the years to come.

I'm attaching a pic of both units. The Power spin is the smaller unit on the left. Once the crank is removed by pinching and pulling, you will have access to three small screws. By removing the screws you can then remove the black center piece on the back of the drum. That is what I clipped the cable to. The back end of the cable has a piece of wire, about one inch long that is bent U-shaped, like a paper clip, or think of the clip-on part of a pocket pen.

Hope this helps.
        Attached Files

Comment

norcal, interesting that you took it apart.

since i don't own these homeowner style machines, i looked up the info on the 1 page online manual. i guess they had to put them together to begin with, but don't think they were designed to be serviced or come apart. the manual only spoke of removing the crank to hook up a slow speed drill.

norcal, is there a reason why you use these 2 machines? i can't see them lasting 1 week with my work. infact today i had a stoppage in a 2'' line that the k39 wouldn't clear. i went into my truck to get the 5/8'' k-50 with drop head bulb. this was all it took to get past the stoppage. can't see a 1/4'' diy machine clear anything more than a hair stoppage. then you still have to properly clean the line. with no cutters on the cable, all that is happening is a small drain hole is drilled through a 1.5''- 2'' pipe stoppage. with the proper selection of cables, and cutters, a pipe can be properly cleared and cleaned to the best of ones ability.

even the k40 (the big brother to the auto spin) i have since they first came out 6 years ago sits on the shelf since i feel it doesn't do a proper job. the newer machines have been updated to keep the cable from slipping in the drum and added a speed hump to keep from going out too far.

just curious about your choice of drain cleaners.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, you're exactly right...I use them to clear hair clogs. They're not good for much else. I also have a General Wire Super Vee, with a couple of cables and cutters, but I'm not happy with that, either.

I refer 95% of my clogged drain calls to a one-man drain cleaning company.

However, I am seriously thinking of doing more drain cleaning, that's why I came to this forum...there is a wealth of information here and I've been soaking it up like a sponge...

I am very concerned about doing more damage than good, to the pipes, or ruining expensive equipment, that's why I have been referrring calls to the "pros".

I believe I am an above average plumber but a seriously below average drain cleaner...

Personally, I'd rather cut out an old cast iron tub p-trap and replace it with an abs trap, than mess around with snaking it...those traps are a major pain in the you know what.

Quick story: I was asked recently, by a very good client, to rent a 100' snake and clear a root clog. Naturally, I wasted about an hour and a half of my time with no success. So I call my rooter guy and he clears that clog in 10 minutes and didn't break a sweat...in fact he smoked a cigarette while performing the work, one handed...he cleared the clog at the 120' mark.

I've got lots of questions for you and the fellas, but I don't want to bombard you with them all at once.

Comment

norcal, a good source to use is the search field. you can read up on lots of old post and forums. drain cleaning is a topic that gets lots of post.

after doing very large scale new construction for 15+ years, i decided to get out of new and continue with service and repair. i've always moonlitghted since i first started with my uncle in 1975 at age 12. ( sort of like you). at this point i get a very large percentage of calls from other contractors for drain related problems. the advantge i have over most other companies is my background in new construction, service and doing all the work myself.

seems like most people in the drain cleaning field are not qualified plumbers and are more interested in sales and comissions. it's good that you refer the work to others, but you're also missing out on good clean work.

just like when we all first started out, we came home dirty and exhausted. that only happens once in a blue moon now. i typically can figure out the isuues and solve it without all the headaches and dirt.

read some of the old post and ask questions on what you can't find. there are a handfull of real long term experienced plumbers here.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Re: RIGID Power Spin

Similar questions to those of the OP.

My wife just dragged home a power spin from the store to use (actually, for ME to use) on our utility tubs. Got it out of the box, hooked it up to the drill, fired up the drill on low speed and the whole thing sort of broke apart within 10 seconds.

The instructions are wonderful in their optimism when they say "if the snake comes out completely or needs to be replaced just push 2-3 feet back into the power spin". Huh? I think you need to hook it up inside, but there are no directions as to how to do that.

But, back to my story. The shaft that you put the drill onto came loose, and there were parts rattling around inside the body of the power spin. There is a piece on the top that you can unscrew, and I got all the parts out, but there are zero directions as to how to put it back together. Being fairly handy, I figured out more or less how the pieces go together, and that the snake needs to be hooked into a bracket that goes onto the shaft, but the whole thing then needs to be sort of squeezed down so you can put a compression washer onto the top of the outside of the shaft. This involves compessing two heavy springs, which is impossible with bare hands. I tried to clamp it together, but there is nothing you can get a clamp around. After about an hour I just put it all back in the box and it'll go back to the store for a refund.

And, the OP mentions the trigger on the shaft. It does nothing, doesn't move when you press the trigger, nothing.

This is really truly a flawed product, made worse by the unhelpful instructions.

Comment

Re: RIGID Power Spin

it's a sunday/ hoilday weekend. why not try to rent a proper machine if you need it done today?

putting a drill to a plastic snake is not exactly a good thing on ridgids part. they have to know that the people buying these toys are not pros and don't have a real feel for the whole snaking thing. so they make a tool that will sell to homeowner and not hold up for the first job.

rent a k-39 and return the toy. hopefully you can do it today as a plumber is costly on a sunday. or wait till tuesday when the overtime is gone.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                  X