Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drain cleaning from roof. How many of you don't.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drain cleaning from roof. How many of you don't.

Hey folks, I'm new to the forum.

I'll go up on single story flat roofs (when forced) with the disclaimer that roof access in not a standard or proper cleaning access point. I know personally of a few pro's that won't go up on roof's at all, and of course some do it all the time.
    Just wondering what the consensus is.

I once had a stoppage on a kitchen sink that had a black iron non-directional tee in it. Yes, very unusual. I could not get around the tee so had no choice but to go down from the roof, which did the trick. If it is safe for me I will do what ever it takes to get the job done.

The extra work paid off for me on this one because a previous plumber who worked for us did not clear it and the home owner was livid. She threating to never use us again. When I left I got a customer for life and a twenty dollar tip.
    One of the best lessons I learned from my father is when he did nothing to help me. I then learned to help my self.

Comment

Our policy was we only went on the roof for a main line stoppage and only once. If they did not have a main CO installed in the yard afterwards they were free to call someone else the next time.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

a 1 story roof only. i have a few tricks for roof jobs. i even have a sectional k-60 that will run 7/8'' cable and this is easy to carry up the ladder. if the roof is too steep i'll pass

usually i will pull a toilet on a main line, and do a back to back if needed from the roof. i would say that less than 5% is a roof job. i do charge a $25. surcharge for the roof. this covers all the extra special equipment and clean underwear

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I will go up on a 1 story roof, but at 42 years old, I don't know how much longer I will do this...not worth the risk, and my physicality isn't getting any better with age.

I also charge a surcharge to go up on a roof.

Comment

I'll go up on the roof If that is the best way to get the drain unstopped. If its the main sewer drain, I clear drain with k60 machine. and locate for future clean out. But 50 % are on the roof.

Comment

Originally posted by freddy
              I'll go up on the roof If that is the best way to get the drain unstopped. If its the main sewer drain, I clear drain with k60 machine. and locate for future clean out. But 50 % are on the roof.
              It sounds like the K60 is the preferred roof-top machine as I use one as well.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

It was always my policy to avoid roof top work with sewer machines when ever possible. Its just to easy for something to happen and get hurt. If there is a situation where someone has to take a heavy piece of equipment onto the roof and work then for saftey reasons that has just become a two man job.

All it takes is one slip because one did not have the third hand available and a simple job just became a life long nightmare. Some guys are lucky and go a long long time taking chances and others lose a limb or worse in a split second at an early age. Its not worth it just so someone you may never see again can flush his fecal matter away.
                Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

Hi folks, I'm new here but will add to the discussion. I worked from roofs to clear main lines when I worked for a NoCal sewer contractor. I found it easy to run my Gorlitz from up on the roof using a foot switch, and pull cable over ladder rung. I also fell off 3 roofs in 3 years and one was 2-story, steep pitch with sun-baked wood shakes. I know...not too smart. This guy had plush white carpet even in the bathroom, so I didn't want to fool with pulling the toilet. He watched me slide off the roof along with my ladder...he was old and I remember thinking he was having a heart attack, because as I was falling he was freaking out. By the Lord's grace, I landed on my feet and kind of bounded and rolled. No injury at all. I was lucky. LOL..I easily sold him a cleanout install because of that episode. Tuffest sale I ever made!.
                  "...then there was that dusky gal in Bangkok...real crossway breeder I swear"

Comment

Working...
                  X