X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double Clean-outs

A while back there was a discussion of double clean-out fittings. Rick said they were illegal in our juristiction (Southern California). I thought they were not.

I quote: "An approved type of two way clean-out fitting installed inside the building wall near the connection between the building drain and building sewer or installed outside of a building at the lower end of a building drain and extended to grade, may be substituted for an upper terminal cleanout."
    (Section 707.4 (4) 2001 California Plumbing Code.)

Rick, I was right, you were wrong.

But I still like you.

Your hero and mentor.
    the dog

dog, you might only be half right

a tapped test tee can be used to snake in 2 directions which is legal.

a reverse cleanout is not fool proof. the person using this to snake out a line had better have a very good idea as to the length and direction of the line. if i go in a reverse direction, i have usually camered the line first to know the maximun safe distance, and that the line doesn't have a tee or comby. if it does, the snake will go straight and not make the turn.

i have had to bail out others that got stuck or even worse, broke a toilet going the "wrong way".

personally, i do use a texas twin cleanout when necessary. but i know how far i can snake and i mark the fottage on the fitting cap/ plug.

i have had inspectors question the twin c/o.

to sum it up, a reverse c/o is fine, as long as you know it's reverse and it's distance along with changes of direction. if not be ready for a really bad day

i always like jetting area drains from the curb up. it sucks all the muck out to the street. yesterday i got a $1,000. nozzle stuck in a line 58' in. it took a camera and some work to get it out. the problem was the line had a sort turn non directional bull head tee in it. out of the 5 curb penatrations this was the only issue. the others were anywhere from 175' to 58' in length. believe it or not, this was a single family home.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK
      dog, you might only be half right

a tapped test tee can be used to snake in 2 directions which is legal.

a reverse cleanout is not fool proof. the person using this to snake out a line had better have a very good idea as to the length and direction of the line. if i go in a reverse direction, i have usually camered the line first to know the maximun safe distance, and that the line doesn't have a tee or comby. if it does, the snake will go straight and not make the turn.

i have had to bail out others that got stuck or even worse, broke a toilet going the "wrong way".

personally, i do use a texas twin cleanout when necessary. but i know how far i can snake and i mark the fottage on the fitting cap/ plug.

i have had inspectors question the twin c/o.

to sum it up, a reverse c/o is fine, as long as you know it's reverse and it's distance along with changes of direction. if not be ready for a really bad day

i always like jetting area drains from the curb up. it sucks all the muck out to the street. yesterday i got a $1,000. nozzle stuck in a line 58' in. it took a camera and some work to get it out. the problem was the line had a sort turn non directional bull head tee in it. out of the 5 curb penatrations this was the only issue. the others were anywhere from 175' to 58' in length. believe it or not, this was a single family home.

rick.
      The point was that you said double clean outs were illegal. I work in the same juristiction that you do, and they are not illegal. See my above post. They may not be the best, they may not be desirable, but they are legal.

You were wrong Rick. Face the truth before it destroys you. You will have to live with it the rest or your life. Your world will never be the same.

For absolution I would suggest taking "Mrs. Seatdown" to a good restraunt (and no Taco Bell does not count) every weekend for the next six weeks. Maybe then, and I mean maybe, you will regain your self respect.

If you do so I can again look at you as the father figure I have come to see you as.
      the dog

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10
        A while back there was a discussion of double clean-out fittings. Rick said they were illegal in our juristiction (Southern California). I thought they were not.

I quote: "An approved type of two way clean-out fitting installed inside the building wall near the connection between the building drain and building sewer or installed outside of a building at the lower end of a building drain and extended to grade, may be substituted for an upper terminal cleanout."
        (Section 707.4 (4) 2001 California Plumbing Code.)

Rick, I was right, you were wrong.

But I still like you.

Your hero and mentor.
        dog like i said a test tee is legal and has always been legal. please explain another legal 2 way cleanout. i like the "texas twin", but as far as i know it's not an approved fitting here. at least that's what i've been told.

is a comby turned upstream a legal fitting

does it have to properly marked. i suggest next time you have a commercial inspector, please ask him. i don't run into too many commercial inspectors anymore. the residential inspectors/ combination inspectors wouldn't have a clue.

not letting you off too easy yet.

ps. hirsch plumbing supply has it's annual fishing trip tomorrow. hope to bring back mrs. seat down some fresh fish to clean.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I'm sending a letter to IAMPO to clarify this.

In the mean time, bringing home mackeral to Mrs. Seatdown does not count either.
          the dog

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10
            I'm sending a letter to IAMPO to clarify this.

In the mean time, bringing home mackeral to Mrs. Seatdown does not count either.
            no worries dog. the fishing trip was fun, but the fish seemed to outsmart the passengers and crew.

i threw back the 3 fish i caught. the money fish for the day was a 7# bonita.

up at 4:30 am. at san pedro at 5:30 am. fishing at 8:30 am in catalina. left catalina at 3:30 pm and home at 6:00 pm.

who ever said "the worst day fishing is better than the best day of work", was not on this trip

as a joke, mrs seatdown brought home "baby goldfish crackers"

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Rick,

A bad day of fishing on the ocean is worst than a bad day of plumbing.

As for the two-way cleanout fitting I can't think of any reason it would not be legal. UPC Section 707.4.4 even says you can use an approved two-way cleanout and this is the only two-way I know which would be legal on it's back.

I prefer two seperate kombis set opposite directions for a double cleanout but that installation is not legal (but allowed by most).

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Rick,

The next time you shop for groceries, shop for crow. Watch the "Food Channel" for instructions.

You are wrong Rick, and this will not go away.

I've said many times on this forum when I was wrong, but you have not. Get ready to eat crow.
                the dog

Comment

Dog,

There are 2 things wrong with your reply:

1. Rick NEVER goes grocery shopping. (The frozen food section at Costco and the ice cream section at the market do not count)

2. Rick NEVER admits when he is wrong. Instead he tries out his wrong viewpoint on anyone that will listen in hopes he will find that one lone sole that will agree with him--which he can never find!

Lots of luck. By the way, I am not saying either one of you is right OR wrong.

Joey

Comment

dog, still waiting for the "approved" 2 way c/o. what one is approved, other than a test tee?

a line that is stopped up and full of waste water, will be a prime example why a 2 way clean out should be illegal. the plumber who has to clear the line is not necessarly going to know that the line has a potential of snaking backwards. 2 separate cleanout risers is the way to go. mark likes 2 combies, i prefer the texas twin. it's a precast twin riser, short pattern, criss cross twin combie. takes up less space and is ridgid. great for tight spaces.

dog, waiting for that approved 2 way c/o.

word of advise to all who do drain cleaning. you better know what is upstream, when you snake in the wrong direction. i always document the total safe footage on the cap and on the invoice. better safe than sorry

it's ok dog, my dogs eat any bird that lands on the ground

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

after a little research, you're right

but that's only because it's your birthday.

i'll let you be correct 1 out of 365 days.

i'll be right the other 364 days

happy 43rd. birthday dog

rick and joey
                      phoebe it is

Comment

dog,

Happy birthday but at 43 that makes you more of a pup.

Mark
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Not to me! Rick is also 43, but I am 31. But I can still teach my old dog some new tricks

Joey

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK
                            dog, still waiting for the "approved" 2 way c/o. what one is approved, other than a test tee?

a line that is stopped up and full of waste water, will be a prime example why a 2 way clean out should be illegal. the plumber who has to clear the line is not necessarly going to know that the line has a potential of snaking backwards. 2 separate cleanout risers is the way to go. mark likes 2 combies, i prefer the texas twin. it's a precast twin riser, short pattern, criss cross twin combie. takes up less space and is ridgid. great for tight spaces.

dog, waiting for that approved 2 way c/o.

word of advise to all who do drain cleaning. you better know what is upstream, when you snake in the wrong direction. i always document the total safe footage on the cap and on the invoice. better safe than sorry

it's ok dog, my dogs eat any bird that lands on the ground

rick.
                            Rick,
                            Relax. The answer will soon be upon you. Your posts on this subject consist of "what should be, what can be, etc." We're talking plumbing code here. None of that matters. Get your toothpick out to pick those feathers when the truth comes down.

I won't make any more comments on this subject until I get the response. And then, all hell will break loose.
                            the dog

Comment

It is really??
                              Mercedes Slr Brabus

Comment

Working...
                              X