Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocks in Sewer Line....

Guys,

Not sure if this is the right forum, but i'm looking for some advise. My city sewer line backed up into my basement (after we opened the check valve). I had the line pressure blasted and sent a camera down to see what caused the blockage.

There is 4" PVC line out of the basement 23' then it goes to the townships 6' plastic line, another 20' then we hit rocks. it looks like 1-A rock they would have used to bed the 6' pipe. There were no breaks in the line and the developer states the system was camera'd before they sealed it up. He is suspecting the excavator allowed the stones to get in when he was making the connection (making it my responsibility, not his).

I can see his scenario being valid, but am unsure of why the stones (1 1/2" deep and for some length) could get 20' down the line form the connection.

Could the rocks have been in the line the whole time and they missed them when they shot it before barrying it (making it his responsibility, not mine)?

Is ther anything else I should be looking for or any scenarious I am not thinking of?

I'm just a simple new home owner looking for some expect opinions. The house is new construction and i've only been living in it for 3 months.

Thanks.

Originally posted by JDawg
    Guys,

Not sure if this is the right forum, but i'm looking for some advise. My city sewer line backed up into my basement (after we opened the check valve). I had the line pressure blasted and sent a camera down to see what caused the blockage.

There is 4" PVC line out of the basement 23' then it goes to the townships 6' plastic line, another 20' then we hit rocks. it looks like 1-A rock they would have used to bed the 6' pipe. There were no breaks in the line and the developer states the system was camera'd before they sealed it up. He is suspecting the excavator allowed the stones to get in when he was making the connection (making it my responsibility, not his).

I can see his scenario being valid, but am unsure of why the stones (1 1/2" deep and for some length) could get 20' down the line form the connection.

Could the rocks have been in the line the whole time and they missed them when they shot it before barrying it (making it his responsibility, not mine)?

Is ther anything else I should be looking for or any scenarious I am not thinking of?

I'm just a simple new home owner looking for some expect opinions. The house is new construction and i've only been living in it for 3 months.

Thanks.
    the key issues are highlighted. at this point it's the builders problems. i would try to work it out with them first. if no luck then get your own video tape made and let the state contractors board and small claims court figure it out.

this is not out of the ordinary. i had a brand new fire station that was not yet turned over to the city. the prize rock was a keeper.

after camering and jetting several hundred feet of 4'' and 6'' plastic sdr35 sewer pipe. i managed to flush out all the sand and rocks. also located several damaged sections. the one prize rock is now on the shelf of my office as a paper weight. it took the camera, jetter, and vacumm truck to suck it out of a cleanout.

the general contractor paid me for my work and then back charged all the subs that were the cause of the breaks and rocks.

a good camera job with a video tape and documentation should be all that is needed to win your case. chances are the builder will take care of this prior to any trial

hope this puts it in perspective

rick.
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 08-09-2006, 11:55 PM.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Guys,

Thanks.
      Maybe I am miss reading your post but it sounds like the rocks are in the Townships pipe. If so you call the Township and advise them they have a problem. If I have miss read your post then you call your builder and advise him he has a problem. Either way it is not what you p[aid for.

Good luck-Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Thanks guys for the replies.

Unfortunelty I am the homeowner / general / builder. So, I think I'm going to be SOL.

I did review the video with a couple of buddies that are full time builders and the think the stone is pea stone. It would have gotten in when the shot the basement with the slinger. Someone (plumber or concrete guys) may have left the stub un-covered to drain water.

I have consulted another sewre cleaning contractor. He said he could push the stone out to the 8" main and camera the line to make sure he gets it all. Once in the main, he didn't think we would have to worry about it since our lead is 6". It's about 130' to the main line.

What do you guys think about his proposed fix?

Thanks - jdawg

Comment

jdawg, i'm more confused about what role you played and what role the developer played

i would attempt to push the rocks into the main. a good flow of water will help. the jetter will only cause the rocks to come back to you. so the jetter is not a good call, unless it can be run from the manhole back. this is very unlikely though. so i would use a snake, a camera and lots of water. how big are these rocks golf balls, baseballs, softballs, basketballs

unless they are mixed with concrete, they should slide easy in the plastic line.

still a little confused about your role and the developer.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Rick,

Sorry for the confusion. I'm being told that it was my fault the rocks are in the line. Since I am the general, I am responsible for all the subs. And I agree with the developer on that point. I'm 99.9% sure the stone came from my building project. So, the township is not willing to help and the developer is not going to take resonsibility for my subs letting pea stone get in the sewer. I guess I have to agree it is my responsibility, I don't think I have a legal leg to stand on.

The stones are about 1/4" to 1/2" in diameter. It's the 'stuff' they use around the drain tile and as underlayment for the concrete basement floor.

The sewer cleaner has a jet that will push the stone forward only. I asked specificly, because I don't want anything coming back at the house.

I appreciate all the feedback and am still looking for any other suggestions/points/ideas......

Thanks.

Comment

Rick,

The sewer cleaner has a jet that will push the stone forward only. I asked specificly, because I don't want anything coming back at the house.

I appreciate all the feedback and am still looking for any other suggestions/points/ideas......

Thanks.
              jdawg, not exactly correct. the jetter has a single forward or a few forward jets, along with a series of rear jets that propel the jetter hose forward. very difficult to keep the rocks ahead of the jetter and impossible to keep a camera behind the jetter to monitor the progress.

now if you want to fly my wife (mrs seat down) and i to your house, i would give it a college try ( i never went to college, but my wife has a masters degree) by the way, where is this house

we're just planning our vacations

rick.

now there is way to use a fiberglass push rod with a jetter / pressure washer spray nozzle to shoot forward only. anything you do to break up the pile of small rocks will eventually wash out to the city or get caught in a bad joint. with a good water flow and a good camera with spacers, a patient plumber will have good results.
              phoebe it is

Comment

First off it was illegal to allow the stones into the line in the first place so be careful not to compound your problems. If in pushing the stones into the larger line you stop up the Township sewer you are likely to get a bill that will make the cost of your lateral look cheap. Make sure whatever you do you double check your work when your done with a SeeSnake.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Rocks in sewer line

Hola:

Ser√*a posible una traducci√≥n al espa√Īol para entender mejor, poder responder y aportar experiencias que nos sirvan a todos?

Muchas Gracias
                  Cloacas Argentinas

Comment

Originally posted by Cloacas Argentinas
                    Hola: Ser√*a posible una traducci√≥n al espa√Īol para entender mejor, poder responder y aportar experiencias que nos sirvan a todos? Muchas Gracias
                    a su servicio:

la traducción -

Estimados amigos,

No estoy seguro si √©ste es el foro correcto, pero yo busco alg√ļn consejo. Mi l√*nea de drenaje de la ciudad se obstruy√≥ y caus√≥ el drenaje llenar mi s√≥tano (despu√©s de que abrimos la v√°lvula de cheque). Ten√*a que abrir la l√*nea por presi√≥n y envi√© una c√°mara fotogr√°fica abajo para ver qu√© caus√≥ la obstrucci√≥n.

Hay una l√*nea del PVC del 4" di√°metro fuera del s√≥tano 23' de largo que entra la l√*nea pl√°stica de los municipios 6‚ÄĚ di√°metro que va por otro 20' mas cuando pegamos las rocas. parece como la roca de tama√Īo 1-A que soporta la tuber√*a de 6‚ÄĚ de di√°metro. No hab√*a roturas en la l√*nea y el contratista dice que se film√≥ el sistema antes de que lo sellaran. √Čl est√° sospechando el excavador permiti√≥ entrar las piedras adentro cuando √©l hac√*a la conexi√≥n (que le hace mi responsabilidad, no la suya).

Puedo ver su punto de vista podr√*a ser v√°lido, pero estoy inseguro de porqu√© las piedras (1 1/2 " de ancha y con una longitud) podr√*an meterse a 20' de la entrada de la conexi√≥n de la l√*nea.

¬ŅHabr√*an podido las rocas ser en la l√*nea el tiempo entero y las faltaron cuando la film√≥ antes de enterrarla (haci√©ndole su responsabilidad, no la m√*a)?

¬ŅHay algo mas que debo buscar o otras posibilidades en que no estoy pensando?

Soy solamente un nuevo due√Īo de casa simple que busca algunas opiniones expertas. La casa es nueva construcci√≥n y he estado viviendo solamente en ella por 3 meses.

Gracias.

Comment

Just a thought, If rock bed is not too long, is it in a location that would allow you to "DIG" (I know that a bad word when you own the place) downstream of the rock and somewhere upstream to get some water flow in there and capture most of the rock then just patch things up??

Just a thought!

Regards and good luck!

Biscuit

Comment

Rock

I have had good result in cases like this with jetting the line. Us jetting makes a large forward flowing head that dumps about 18 to 24gpm. I would also ask your contractor for a copy of his video as this will put the debate of whether he is responsible to rest.
                        THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

Working...
                        X