Tips on using K-60

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips on using K-60

Just ordered a k-60. This is my first sectional machine. Any tips on getting the best use out of it? I know it's not a k7500 and I'm not trying to use it as a substitute but how does it do on roots? Do the spiral sawtooth cutter work well with this machine? What's the chain knocker (t-114) used for?

Ben
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Tips on using K-60

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
    Just ordered a k-60. This is my first sectional machine. Any tips on getting the best use out of it? I know it's not a k7500 and I'm not trying to use it as a substitute but how does it do on roots? Do the spiral sawtooth cutter work well with this machine? What's the chain knocker (t-114) used for?

Ben
    In my opinion, with time and a little experience this machine will out clean your K-7500. As far as tips start with the training videos in the support section of this site.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Training-Videos/index.htm

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Thread by Plumber Rick on the K-60.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...highlight=K-60

Comment

ben, you will fall in love with this k-60 once you get a good feel of how it works and it's limitations. it will not replace a k-7500 or k750. these drum . 90% of my jobs involve 4'' - 6'' pipe.
        machines have a rating for 8'' pipe. the k60 is rated for 4'' pipe. i would like to see ridgid make a heavier wound cable for the k-60 that will do 6'' pipe

what i find is on a problem job on a roof, crawl space, under deck, limited access, or pita jobs. the k-60 is the choice. on heavy root jobs i will use the 7500 first.

the rear guide hose is used to contain the excess cable prior to the drain. i rarely use it. just be careful that you don't grab plants or wires if you don't have the guide hose. without the guide hose, you'll really speed up the cable changing process.

a good selecion of cutters and augers will get you through almost anything. i love the spiral sawtooth cutter and straight auger. stay away from the chain knocker, as this is for encrusted and glazed pipes. something you're not going to want to get into. plus a very spendy attachment.

the k60 will also run the 5/8'' cable for small drains. once you get a feel for this machine, you will buy more cable. i carry 150' of 7/8'' sectional cable and have used it on occasion.

another great feature is the instant cable clutch. no over run or run on. this will save you from a kink or break.

once you get this machine, you'll have plenty of new questions. a suggestion is to practice with the machine on a drain that you're very familiar with.

good luck and have fun with this new machine. mine will be jealous

rick.

ps. anyone that has a good condition k-60 that is not being used and would like to sell or trade it, let me know. i want a second one
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
          What's the chain knocker (t-114) used for?

Ben
          I have a chain knocker, but don't use it very often. As far as I know, it is designed for use in a cast iron drain line that has internal build up (i.e. rust "bubbles"). It has worked OK for me on the few occaisions that I have used it. And yes, it is pricey.

Comment

[quote=PLUMBER RICK;75782] i would like to see ridgid make a heavier wound cable for the k-60 that will do 6'' pipe

Rick,
            Rothenberger makes a cable machine that looks in function just like the K-60. They also sell 7/8" cable that has a plastic core to stiffen the cable. Ever try these? Thoughts/ opinions? Feel free to chime in Mark. What is the model number of the spiral sawtooth cutter you use?
            In one of your posts you mentioned a 2 ft leader. What's this?

Josh if you're reading this, you need to send Mark and Rick something because without their testimonals; I never would've looked at or bought a K-60. They're doing your advertising department's job.

Ben
            Last edited by gear junkie; 04-19-2007, 09:22 PM. Reason: forgot something
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

[quote=gear junkie;75922]
              Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              i would like to see ridgid make a heavier wound cable for the k-60 that will do 6'' pipe

Rick,
              Rothenberger makes a cable machine that looks in function just like the K-60. They also sell 7/8" cable that has a plastic core to stiffen the cable. Ever try these? Thoughts/ opinions? Feel free to chime in Mark. What is the model number of the spiral sawtooth cutter you use?

Josh if you're reading this, you need to send Mark and Rick something because without their testimonals; I never would've looked at or bought a K-60. They're doing your advertising department's job.

Ben
              I like a lot of the Rotherberer products but their R600 is nothing compared to the K-60. If you prefer the inner-core cables I'm sure the cables are inter-changeable between the two brands.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

[quote=gear junkie;75922]
                Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                i would like to see ridgid make a heavier wound cable for the k-60 that will do 6'' pipe

Rick,

Ben
                general wire and spring makes a very similar machine and also makes cables with ridgid ends. they make a heavier cble with ridgid ends that i will inquire about at the show in june.

the sawtooth cutter is model #t-109 1.75''/ t- 110,2.25''/ t-111, 3''. i also like 4 blade cutter t-112, 1.75'' and t-113 3''. the straight auger t-101 is great for 1.5'' and 2'' lines. the leader is not necessary for this cable.

i told you about a 2'' roof drain with trap that i got through without knowing with the 7/8'' cable and the t-101 auger

as far as a gift from josh, ridgid. we all got calendars

josh is coming out to the long beach trade show in june. who wants to play golf a day or 2 before mark, dog, dirty anyone else in the area?

thanks ben for the kind words

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                X