X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• k-60 "the impressionator"

i guess being close to hollywood i came up with a new action hero.

the k-60 "the impressionator"

i bid a job for cleaning 36 separate 3'' and 4'' cleanouts in a townhome project.

i needed to be competitive and get the job done. this was my first real shot at making an impression with the homeowners. the other few jobs there have been for the association.

i knew that if i was to get it done i needed a game plan. the game plan was to use my ace in the hole k-60 i needed to remove the 3'' or 4'' plugs and cable the line 40' to the common mains. the clean outs were located 4' up the wall. a drum machine k-7500 would be too bulky to move around with the rest of my tools. also the rotating drum would pose a hazard around all the stuff in the garages. plus it's hard to stop a rotating drum in a split second if the cable bound being 4' up.

i chose to put the k-60 on my rubber maid 2 shelf work cart. that put me at the perfect height and allowed me to carry all the goodies needed to make just 1 trip in and out.

to my surprise, it went better than i thought i figured on 2 consecutive saturdays. i completed 29 of them in 1 day. the other 7 were not home or didn't want it done.

every homeowner was very impressed with the work. there was virtually no splashing as they were accustomed to from prior companies. i even had the water running from the house as i snaked the lines.

i owe the congrats to the wise choice i made (thanks mark) in equipment and proper planning

my k-60 is now known as "the impressionator"

customers will remember the impression you left.

the k-60 is that impression

if you don't own 1, your missing out

if you do own 1, you know what i'm talking about

rick.
    phoebe it is

Re: k-60 "the impressionator"

Did you charge enough for the first job to pay for the machine?

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisConnor View Post
      Did you charge enough for the first job to pay for the machine?
      chris, it's rick, not tieger

remember, i am competitive and honest.

i can tell you this, if tieger ever came to my stomping grounds, he would never get a job i bid on. i actually get a kick reading what he says. it's better than watching jerry springer he just keeps bouncing back and taking it.

he's like the michael jackson of plumbing. maybe we should ship him to the u.a.e. with michael he thinks he lives in neverland.

is he for real, or just having fun with us

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Sylvan is consistent. I've no reason to doubt him. NY is a different place.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

the k-60 is that impression

if you don't own 1, your missing out

if you do own 1, you know what i'm talking about

rick.
          What do you call it when you own 2?

Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisConnor View Post
            Sylvan is consistent. I've no reason to doubt him. NY is a different place.
            You're right -- NY is a different place, but I really don't think the consumers are as stupid as tieger would have us believe. I have friends in the city and Long Island who own large businesses (not plumbing, though), serving the public and contractors, and from listening to them, NY consumers aren't that differen't from those around here. In fact, one friend who owns one of the largest non-unoin glass companies on the east coast is based in the city. He knows tradesmen of all types. We have discussed customers, pricing and ethics on many occasions and I was surprised to find-out that my prices are pretty much the same as those of plumbers (city and suburbs) he knows. However, he does like to tell stories in a sensational fashion, like tieger, so I think this is a NY thing. I "call" him on some of the more outlandish stories and stop him before he goes too far and I lose interest. He admits that exaggeration of business triumphs "is a Jewish thing" and he can't help it. He says it is in his blood -- his heritage. The fact that he exaggerates makes me take some of the things he tells me with a grain of salt. He is not really being untruthful as much as he is trying to make the truth a little more sensational. Why this is necessary, I don't know. But it can make talking with him a little cumbersome -- I never have anything as sensational to reciprocate, so I feel a little left-out of some conversations. I don't think he minds that, though, because I think that may be the whole objective to this "NY thing."

I think tieger, in general, is telling the truth, but he has a hard time doing it without trying to make it (in his own mind) just a little more interesting or sensational. I would receive his contributions to this forum much easier if he just laid-off the "look at me" format a little bit.

Bruce
            Last edited by brucestorey; 09-11-2007, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Rick, I know exactly what you're talking about. The K-60 is a great machine and I'm glad I bought it. It great to use a tool that performs at the level you need to get the job done. By the way, cat's out of the bag, my wife knows you're the one recommending all these tools to me. She says you're the reason I have a second job.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

We all have our quirks,and some of us put up with off the wall stuff that goes on here.

Bruce,I appreciate your opinion,I also network with some Unique characters(take our beloved Rick for example)
                I do not find it as easy as you to tolerate Sylvans type of conduct on this forum.

Other posters here are not loud and have so much more to offer the readers.

Those are some very thoughtfull words though.

Thanks Bruce.

Adam

Comment

Where are the pics??? Good job Rick, the whole cart idea is great...Like we were talking about the other day...the whole walking the drum machine around, and dealing with the mess wouldve cost you alot more time....

Greg
                  The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Originally posted by Drain Medic View Post
                    Like we were talking about the other day...the whole walking the drum machine around, and dealing with the mess wouldve cost you alot more time....

Greg
                    I dont get any mess with my drum machine.
                    http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by brucestorey View Post
                      You're right -- NY is a different place,

He admits that exaggeration of business triumphs "is a Jewish thing" and he can't help it. He says it is in his blood -- his heritage. The fact that he exaggerates makes me take some of the thngs he tells me with a grain of salt. He is not really being untruthful as much as he is trying to make the truth a little more sensational. Why this is necessary, I don't know. But it can make talking with him a little cumbersome -- I never have anything as sensational to reciprocate, so I feel a little left-out of some conversations. I don't think he minds that, though, because I think that may be the whole objective to this "NY thing."

I think tieger, in general, is telling the truth, but he has a hard time doing it without trying to make it (in his own mind) just a little more interesting or sensational. I would receive his contributions to this forum much easier if he just laid-off the "look at me" format a little bit.

Bruce
                      Well, Sylvan is the ONLY Jewish plumber that I know. I didn't think the Torah or the Talmud allowed it. I always figured that it wasn't kosher.

Perhaps it is a NEW YORK JEWISH thing?

Either way, it humors him to get people riled up. Besides, everyone knows that jews like to haggle, perhaps he just starts off high and then works his way down?

I don't even think about the numbers of what he charges, his economy is much different than my own.

Comment

Originally posted by brucestorey View Post
                        What do you call it when you own 2?

Bruce
                        i wouldn't know

i own 3

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                          Rick, I know exactly what you're talking about. The K-60 is a great machine and I'm glad I bought it. It great to use a tool that performs at the level you need to get the job done. By the way, cat's out of the bag, my wife knows you're the one recommending all these tools to me. She says you're the reason I have a second job.

ben, have her chat with joey

at the first trade show joey went to with me, she saw me plop down big$ to buy a pipe bursting machine. not knowing what it was and why it was so expensive, she wanted to go see me use it. so far she has only missed 1 job with it and she is my #1 pipe puller

so have your wife go to the show and she will appreciate all the goodies we need. just don't come home with a vac. truck

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                            I dont get any mess with my drum machine.
                            neither do i with the 7500 closed drum. i guess the last company had an open drum.

the 7500 would have required a cart to lug around all the extra goodies. wrenches, plugs, buckets, cords, drill to cut out broken plugs, rags, food and drinks remember there were 29 separate homes/ garages to get access to. lots of rolling.

also the safety factor with the sectional is another hugh advantage. just like you bought a jetter, you'll buy a k-60 sooner than later

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Ben, Rick has been doing this for a while with no wife and no kids to support so he has money to "blow" on toys.

I like working with him and playing with the tools. It's an art to do plumbing with long nails and not break any

I think most people would not have walked into a trade show with a checkbook, written a check, and walked off with a significant piece of equipment.

Ben, I knew the monster I was marrying and I did it anyway

Joey
                              I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Working...
                              X