Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1500a vs. 1500b; 3800 v K60

Originally posted by Gear Junkie
    I've only used a drum machine with the autofeed so I can't compare.
    My General had an autofeed on it - but I wasn't about to wait until it fed the entire cable. Maybe because I had previously used an old Burton Powersnake that was manual feed and that's what I was used to.

Comment

Originally posted by buyfield View Post
      Rick, I'll look back through the old posts for yours and Gene's drill trick.

actually it's gene's trick. i use it with genes permission basically we use a male coupler on the end of a 1/2'' 300 rpm drill (timberwolf with clutch) and spin the sections of cable into the line. we both use 10' sections of 1.25'' general cable 15' ridgid would work, but you need to be careful with 15' out from opening.

"90% K60." Do you even bring the 1500 along?
      just the 134' of 1.25'' cable right now. 13-10' sections and 1-4' section of cable.

So in other words, no reason to have both a 39 and a 60. But Ben brings both, it sounds like. Ben?

wrong. i keep 3- k-39 on the truck. 2 with power feed and 1 with a chuck.

Rick, if your next door neighbor had a stoppage (4") between house and main, accessible with ground level cleanout, and your 1500 were sitting right next to your 60, which would you grab?

depends on the track record. but i would defitnatly start with the k-60, 7/8'' cable. the only cutter i don't run on the 7/8'' is my 4''x6'' expanding cutters. chances are the k-60 is all i will need and i've tested it to 6'' with good results. not standard cable but not custom either

I'm very impressed with this forum, if I hadn't said that yet.
      me too i have had a chance to personally meet half a dozen guys on the forum and talk to another hand full.
      josh is responsible for making the forum work and listens to our wants and needs

stick around and get a chance to let the other guys throw in their years of knowledge. probably the best mix of plumbers on any forum out there

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I keep the k60 with 150 ft of 7/8, 60 of 5/8 cable, k-3800 w/ 90 of 1/2 ic and a k-39af with a 5/16 ic 35' cable. I would grab the k-60 just because of how light it is. I've used the 3800 just 1 or 2 times since getting my 60. I keep it on the truck because I'll need it as soon as I take it off the truck.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Rick: the drill trick is to keep from having to haul the 1500 around? How often do you employ this trick?

Ben: no 1500 for you either?

Maybe I don't need one (a 1500), but I was really looking forward to having "the best all around sewer machine."

Comment

BEST ALL AROUND SEWER MACHINE: Buyfield meet Edith
            Attached Files
            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Everytime I see this photo Gene it puts a smile on my face.So efficient,job done,NEXT!!
              Nice fabrication.

Comment

Rick: the drill trick is to keep from having to haul the 1500 around?correct as the k-60 is good for 90-95% of everything.
                How often do you employ this trick?
                tomorrow on a 120' stoppage in a 6'' line for my buddies shop. he spent the better part of a day on it. i'll see it in the morning.

Ben: no 1500 for you either?

Maybe I don't need one (a 1500), but I was really looking forward to having "the best all around sewer machine."
                start with the k-60 and you'll be good for most anything. you can then purchase the k-1500 or of course keep your 7500 and save some money

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, I'm going to do exactly what you recommend. Hopefully get a 60 in next day or two. Which you had already convinced me of. But I'll wait a little while on the 1500--which is where I was struggling. Although if I didn't have a perfectly good 7500 sitting over there, I would go ahead and get the 1500 also.

For future info, how does my 7500 with 5/8 compare to the 1500 with 1 1/4?

Thanks.

Comment

Rick, I'm going to do exactly what you recommend. Hopefully get a 60 in next day or two. Which you had already convinced me of. But I'll wait a little while on the 1500--which is where I was struggling. Although if I didn't have a perfectly good 7500 sitting over there, I would go ahead and get the 1500 also.

For future info, how does my 7500 with 5/8 compare to the 1500 with 1 1/4?

Thanks.
                    it doesn't. it's closer to the k-60 with 7/8'' cable. if you want to upgrade fairly cheap, spend a few hundred dollars on the 3/4'' innercore cable.
                    as long as you have a good 7500, then you should be set.
                    personally, i think you will be using the k-60 more than you know. the 7500 will get little use.

out of curiosity, did the 7500 with 5/8'' cable not cut it for you? or was it too heavy of a set up to get up and down?

you could always remove the cable or drum if needed, but that takes some time and is not anything i ever did. what i did do was carry extra cable in 25' and 50' lengths. this was easier to load into the drum and get the job done faster than swapping drums or working another 100' cable.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

"actually it's gene's trick" RICK.
                      Actually the idea was passed on to me, but I have perfected it
                      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Rick: I like the 7500 once it's on the ground, but I get tired of loading and unloading it. Load, then unload, then load, then back home and unload. Then two hours later, load then unload then load then unload. Hurts my back and knees and feet.

7500 still in excellent condition, but I was about to buy 150' of 3/4 plus the leader plus the pigtail. ($400) So, was thinking of putting money on something easier to load/unload.

Secondly, I'd like to try sectional, as a result of a lot of what you guys have said on this forum--regarding better performance, better feel.

I get hung up (on fittings) a lot, so I'd like to try an open wind.

I'd like to know how far in I am.

I'd like to be able to add extra cable easily when exceeds 100'.

I'd like to be able to more easily keep the cable from rusting.

Out of everything, easier to load and unload is main reason. I've always been happy with the drum. I like the foot pedal. I've only had the cable turnover a couple of times. The 7500 is a very well built machine. I like the cutter assortment for the 7500. Mine is still in excellent condition.

Easier to load, unload, and then second biggest reason is I'd like to see if open wind will keep from getting stuck so often. Everytime I get stuck I almost get out of the plumbing business.

The thing I'm nervous about with a sectional is inside work--especially if I have to pull back out without having cleared the stoppage. But I'm going to try the 60 for sure.

I welcome yours and everyone else's input. Thanks.

Comment

Rick: I like the 7500 once it's on the ground, but I get tired of loading and unloading it. Load, then unload, then load, then back home and unload. Then two hours later, load then unload then load then unload. Hurts my back and knees and feet.

sounds like you need a bigger truck i have a electric winch and crane arm in my truck. great for jetters, drums and large water heaters by myself.

7500 still in excellent condition, but I was about to buy 150' of 3/4 plus the leader plus the pigtail. ($400) So, was thinking of putting money on something easier to load/unload.

wait till you have used the k-60. you might not want another machine.

Secondly, I'd like to try sectional, as a result of a lot of what you guys have said on this forum--regarding better performance, better feel.

I get hung up (on fittings) a lot, so I'd like to try an open wind.

I'd like to know how far in I am.

great feature of the sectional cables is the easy counting of footage.

I'd like to be able to add extra cable easily when exceeds 100'.

90' fits easily in the carrying cage and is lite enough to carry the cage with 90' and the k-60 in the other hand.

I'd like to be able to more easily keep the cable from rusting.

the open cage will allow you to wash out and spray oil/ wd40/ snake oil on it.

Out of everything, easier to load and unload is main reason. I've always been happy with the drum. I like the foot pedal. I've only had the cable turnover a couple of times. The 7500 is a very well built machine. I like the cutter assortment for the 7500. Mine is still in excellent condition.

there is no foot pedal, but the instant acting clutch is even a better, safer feature. instant action from the clutch and no overrun, no turnover.
                          the cutter selection is even a better choice with the sectionals. high speed cleans and cuts better.

Easier to load, unload, and then second biggest reason is I'd like to see if open wind will keep from getting stuck so often. Everytime I get stuck I almost get out of the plumbing business.

The thing I'm nervous about with a sectional is inside work--especially if I have to pull back out without having cleared the stoppage. But I'm going to try the 60 for sure.

inside is a little more time consuming as you have to take precautions to keep it clean. outside is fast and easy. inside is doable without any issues. just a little more time to be clean.

I welcome yours and everyone else's input. Thanks.
                          buy it, you'll like it. if not, there are a dozen others here that will buy it from you, including me

rick.

and when you do buy it, we'll give you some pointers to get ahead of the learning curve. in fact if you want to get a quick hands on demo, come to the ridgid roundup and watch us sectional guys school the drum guys

phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                            buy it, you'll like it. if not, there are a dozen others here that will buy it from you, including me

rick.

and when you do buy it, we'll give you some pointers to get ahead of the learning curve. in fact if you want to get a quick hands on demo, come to the ridgid roundup and watch us sectional guys school the drum guys

Yes.....but how do you REALLY feel about the K-60 Rick, do you get commisions on the sales you generate??? The Other Rick
                            Last edited by rick1643; 01-30-2008, 01:18 AM.
                            The Other Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rick1643 View Post
                              Yes.....but how do you REALLY feel about the K-60 Rick, do you get commisions on the sales you generate??? The Other Rick
                              He should get something from Ridgid and Mark as well. They just have a big heart and want to help people out.
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

We don't pay Rick a dime. He is just the k-60 super fan. Mark converted him and now he is trying to convert the world.

Comment

Working...
                                X