X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1500a vs. 1500b; 3800 v K60

Trying to decide between 1500 a-frame and b-frame. Is B easier to load (Set handles on tailgate, then lift the other end)? Is B too long for small bath? Does B take up quite a bit more bed space in truck?

My guess is A would be easier inside, B easier to load, A saves bed space.

I will never be using them in crawlspace.

Secondly, have been using 7500 and 3800 for 10 years. How does the 3800 compare to the 60--in terms of power? (1/12 hp universal v. 1/2 hp induction)

Thanks!

Re: 1500a vs. 1500b; 3800 v K60

Originally posted by buyfield View Post
    Trying to decide between 1500 a-frame and b-frame. Is B easier to load (Set handles on tailgate, then lift the other end)? Is B too long for small bath? Does B take up quite a bit more bed space in truck?

My guess is A would be easier inside, B easier to load, A saves bed space.

I will never be using them in crawlspace.

i have the b frame, sort of like a wheelbarrow. i wouldn't worry about weight. it only weighs approx. 75# and i just lift it into my truck. can't say that about my 7500.

Secondly, have been using 7500 and 3800 for 10 years. How does the 3800 compare to the 60--in terms of power? (1/12 hp universal v. 1/2 hp induction)

Thanks!
    the power is not an issue. the 1/2h.p. is plenty for the 7/8'' cable on the 60.
    since your new here i will repeat myself for the 100th. time.

once you go k-60, you'll get rid of your 7500 and 3800

just wait till ben and a few others jump in

the 60 is the most universal machine i have. and i have them all x3

it does 90% of what i encounter everyday. from commercial to residential.

why do you think i call it the "impressionator"

welcome to the forum and read some old post for 99% of your questions and answers
    phoebe it is

Comment

I'm jumping in. I have a 3800 and a k-60 so I can give you a real word comparision between the two. The 3800 doesn't compare in the least. I'm actually thinking about selling my 3800 because it just sits there since I got my K-60. A 3800 is good IMO for laundry, kitchen drain lines. The k-60 is good for that and everything else. The k60 has a much more balanced power. Strong motor but not so strong you can damage your cables in a bind. Easily handles roots. Go through the drain cleaning discussion and read every thread.

Ben
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

didn't i tell you ben would jump in.

now if you really want to see a k-60 in action, come to the ridgid round up and see me smoke the drum boys

there was a job yesterday that the k-60 couldn't get through

brand new city dog pound that the area drains were plugged. i went out 76' with 3 different cutters and could get through the 4'' sdr 35 pipe. then i took out the seesnake and located the spot.

seems the pipe ended at the 36'' tree box that was installed by the backhoe a couple of weeks ago. pipe was 1'8'' deep and tree well was 3' deep.

the backhoe/ landscaper will think twice next time they break a line and bury it without letting the supt. know. a 1 hour repair is a lot cheaper than a 20 mile drive and snaking and Camera-ing

rick.

wait till all clear tries to b.s. you about the drum
        phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks. Rick, do you prefer your b frame over the a frame for any reason, or would you be just as likely to grab the a frame as the b frame, if you had them both? Catalog says 1500 weighs around 120 lbs--how convinced are you that it's only 75ish?

Ben: do you have any A vs. B frame input? Since you said the 60 has enough power but not too much, so as to not break the cable, would that be a reason to buy the 1500 instead of the 1500SE--would the 1500SE be more likely to break a cable than the 1500?

Thanks.

Comment

I have no experience with the 1500. My biggest line here is 4" so I have no reason to upgrade to a 1500. I get the "Cleaner" magazine and have noticed a trend with the companies they highlight each month uses either A)1500 B)K-60 C)drum machines from a different company.

Looking thorugh the catalog, I think I would prefer an "A" frame since you can carry a spool of cable, tools and guide hose on the frame. The "B" frame would require 2 trips.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Thanks. Rick, do you prefer your b frame over the a frame for any reason, or would you be just as likely to grab the a frame as the b frame, if you had them both? Catalog says 1500 weighs around 120 lbs--how convinced are you that it's only 75ish?

i got a deal on the b frame, but would prefer the a frame since it would fit in my truck better and hold the cable carrier too. the b is a low profile machine and probably more of a special application machine and not an everyday machine.

as far as the weight goes. the 120# is probably the shipping weight with the rear guide hose. i know i paid for the freight for this on a pallet. i can't find the actual weight of the bare machine, and would need to put it on my friends shipping scale. since the machine is no longer on my truck, thanks to the k-60 it would require me to load it, and take it to his shop.

i do know that i have no problem getting it on and off my truck. i don't roll it on, i dead lift it. i know it's closer to 75# than the 120# you listed.

Ben: do you have any A vs. B frame input? Since you said the 60 has enough power but not too much, so as to not break the cable, would that be a reason to buy the 1500 instead of the 1500SE--would the 1500SE be more likely to break a cable than the 1500?

Thanks.
              rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

I'm convinced. A-frame it is. And a 60. Thanks. Very helpful. Rick and Ben: do you use the 60 on tubs?

Comment

I'm convinced. A-frame it is. And a 60. Thanks. Very helpful. Rick and Ben: do you use the 60 on tubs?
                  typically on a tub through a trap/ overflow, i will use a handgun. i love my new k-39 pf with the dual feeder.

through a 1.5'' or a 2'' c/o i will run the 5/8'' sectional cable from my k-50 or the k-60.

now if you had to buy just 1 machine. i would suggest the k-60 as the most universal machine.
                  the 1500 is a workhorse for the large nasty stuff, but can't do the everyday bread and butter

you will love the k-60. just as everyone else who has bought 1. i havn't heard 1 bad knock about the k-60 yet

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

For tubs w/o I use a power spin and this is the only thing I use that snake for. I use my k-39af for sinks. If I can see the clogged line is 2" and there are no big bends, I'll just stick with my 7/8" cable and run through it with a straight leader. I only do this if I can visually see the line such as a crawlspace and only if it's pvc. If it's cast I'll use switch to a 5/8" cable with a c-cutter.

Do not be dissapointed when you first buy your sectional. There's a big learning curve and you need to be more physical using it. You can't just wheel it to the cleanout and turn it on. The setup time is longer but the overall proccess time is much shorter and with better results. I may buy a drum machine in 30 years when I'm too weak to deal with the sectional but for me it's what I'll stick with.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by Gear Junkie
                      There's a big learning curve and you need to be more physical using it.
                      I used to use a General with 50' drums, and I pulled a lot of cable by hand, using the feed only when I hit the clog. I always thought the drum was too small and made pulling the 3/4" cable a real shoulder killer. Is it more physical than that?

Comment

Thanks Rick and Ben. I use a 25 handspinner for tubs--similar to powerspin.

It sounds like the 60 may not be able to do 1 1/2 galvanized lav drain, which means either the 25/powerspin, or else I would have to keep loading the 3800 (3/8 or 5/16) in addition to the 60, which I was hoping not to have to do.

My main interest in switching from the 3800/7500 to 60/1500 is easier to load/unload, to try a more flexible cable than the innercore (I get hung up at some point about half the time)and to be able to easily add extra cable if need be. Also, the discussion on this forum about sectional machines has intrigued me in regard to performance--I'd like to give them a try. And thirdly, a bonus would be easily knowing exactly how far in I am.

Which is to say, I'd like to be able to throw on the 60 and the 1500 and go, but if the 60 won't do 1 1/2 galv . . . (Catalog says it will do 1 1/4)

I appreciate everyone's input.

Comment

It'll definently do 1 1/2" gal with the 5/8 cable.

Herk; I've only used a drum machine with the autofeed so I can't compare.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

buyfield , the 60 will run both the 5/8'' sectional cable and the 7/8''. the 5/8'' is the same cable as the k-50 runs. 1.5'' lines are easy to clear with a 5/8'' sectional cable. not a 5/8'' drum cable. now going through a 1.5'' p-trap with 5/8'' sectional can be ruff. that's where the hand gun comes in

the 1500 is a heavy duty machine. sure it is lighter than a fully assy.. 7500 with 100' of cable, but then you have to factor in the 105' of 1.25'' sectional cable weight. 7- 15' sections = 105' the total weight is more than the 7500, but the weight of any piece is less than the 7500.

i would start with the k60 first before you get into the 1500. there are other tricks that gene bickford and i use with a drill the 60 should do 90% of the work like it does for me

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, I'll look back through the old posts for yours and Gene's drill trick.

"90% K60." Do you even bring the 1500 along?

So in other words, no reason to have both a 39 and a 60. But Ben brings both, it sounds like. Ben?

Rick, if your next door neighbor had a stoppage (4") between house and main, accessible with ground level cleanout, and your 1500 were sitting right next to your 60, which would you grab?

I'm very impressed with this forum, if I hadn't said that yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X