X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip - if k60 bogs down on blockage

While working the booth at the pumper show I had one guy come up and said his 4 year old k60 was bogging down and wondered how much it would be to replace the motor. He said he had replaced the clutch jaws and it would still not make it through blockages. He said he could even stop it with his hands.

So while I am talking with this guy another guy stops by and is listening to the problem. I am thinking oh great now this guy is gonna hear a bad story about the k60. Anyways turns out this guy had the same problem. He said once he figured out what was wrong he coulda kicked himself.

Turns out that if you store you k60 on its side (without its butt up in the air) that water will rust the bearings in front of the clutch jaws. Once this happens it adds a tremendous amount of resistance that the motor has to turn against.

Solution was to oil the bearings. Problem solved So I was glad the good name of the k60 was maintained.

Just thought I would let you guys know in case you ran into the problem.

Re: Tip - k60 bogs down on blockage

josh., glad you got the answer.

friday i tore down my k-60 to replace the main bearing assy.

first time since i've had it. the bearing is a sealed unit and water should not get inside of it. the shaft it rides on is steel and it needs to be oiled and lubed. the zerk fitting is only for the clutch handle to move the shaft back and forth.

the good news is i found the bearing at the local pep boys for $17.00 and purchased 2. even though the one inside the front housing with the jaws is still ok. these are a metric bearing #6206. 62mm. od. x 30mm bore , 16mm wide. get the double sealed ones, not the open ones. mine are also made in the usa

make sure to loctite the inner bore to the shaft.

pretty simple job.

also the belt tension should only be the weight of the motor plus 1/2 of a turn. that will also wear the bearing if too tight.

a very simple design and easy to work on.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I took my RT 66 and my K60 apart this weekend to clean and was impressed with how easy the K60 is to take apart and maintain. What kind of oil do you use on the bearings?
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
        I took my RT 66 and my K60 apart this weekend to clean and was impressed with how easy the K60 is to take apart and maintain. What kind of oil do you use on the bearings?
        no oil on the ball bearings as they are sealed and come lubed.

the zerk fittings are for the clutch handle to move the main shaft back and forth the 1/2'' to engage and the front zerk is for the jaw adjusting ring.

just keep the unit dry and clean out the jaw assy. of roots and debris.

less than a 5 minute job and an allen wrench. i also clean the 2 surfaces that the jaws ride against.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, do you oil the jaws?

Comment

no, the jaws need to grip the cable. my jaws look real good for the age and the use i put it through.

jus keep the jaws clean. and the whole front assy.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

So let me see here....humm Rick you too have to replace bearings in you machine
              I seem to remember someone yacking about me doing the very same thing last month.....rotflmao
              http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                So let me see here....humm Rick you too have to replace bearings in you machine
                I seem to remember someone yacking about me doing the very same thing last month.....rotflmao

there are a total of 2 bearings in the machine. not including the motor. with all the use i put this through, i would say $17.00 and 30 minutes to completely overhaul and service the machine is very economical.

chances are the belt was too tight and put wear on the main drive shaft bearing. the front clutch/jaw bearings were fine.

by the way, this k-60 i bought used from a rental dept. and it was never changed before. so all in all, i'm way ahead of you in the repair dept.

not to mention only 1 cable section (15') has been replaced due to bad pipe and doing something i should have know better

don't you have to go weld some connectors on this morning

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

No
                  I trying them with-out welding and see how it works out. So far so good

I run 700 feet of cable on the average every day. You do what, maybe 5 little short runs of 50` to 80` a week?

Well gotta go clear a tub drain with the 7500
                  see ya later rotflmao

Comment

No
                    I trying them with-out welding and see how it works out. So far so good

i've not welded them in years. even running in reverse was ok.

I run 700 feet of cable on the average every day. You do what, maybe 5 little short runs of 50` to 80` a week?

typically more than 80' each run. more than 5 times a week.

Well gotta go clear a tub drain with the 7500
                    see ya later rotflmao
                    better practice as the roundup is coming sooner than later.

good luck with a 5/8'' drum cable in a 1.5''trap.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

I`ve got some good flexible 1/2 cable for the 1 1/2 traps
                      Oh I guess I better ask "can I bring my own cable"

Comment

I`ve got some good flexible 1/2 cable for the 1 1/2 traps
                        Oh I guess I better ask "can I bring my own cable"
                        i guess you can if you want to.

but last time i checked, the 750 and 7500 do not run 1/2'' cable.

also swapping out 100'-125' of 3/4'' to 1/2'' is not a 123 thing.

swapping 7/8'' to 5/8'' sectional is a 1 second thing.

i guess you could run anything you want in that machine, but is it feasible to use a big machine with a little cable? is the auto feed set up to run 1/2'' or do you have to add shims below the bearing mounts?

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Rick
                          I dot normally run 1/2 cable in that machine as I own more then one drum machine that I use daily. It`s faster to have more then one machine in the trailer then just one K-60

I have a small drum I could set-up on a K-7500 if I wanted too and it will handle 1/2 or even 1/4 cable

The only thing is, Do I really want to go to that much trouble just to prove you not worthy of competing against a drum master such as myself?

Comment

Working...
                          X