Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We don't need no stinking K-60. (Job-Hole in One)

It's hard to tell here, but when I pulled the toilet, there was water flush with the top of the flange.

This is what I came back with.

Zoomed out.

So here's the back round on the job. Our company worked on this house a few weeks/months ago cause it was apart of a house fire. The homeowners have only been in the house for a few weeks now. They have been complaining about toilets not flushing correctly. I went out once before, and adjusted the chain's on the handle to flapper and augered one of the toilets.

They called back still having problems. I go out there today, and pull the hall bath toilet first. I notice it's a tee with the direction of flow going against what I need for the proper position of the machine.

I then go to the master bathroom and pull that toilet. I worked from that flange to clear the 'stoppage'. The homeowner thought it was a rag that was put in a flange to prevent the sewer gases from coming up during construction/remodeling.

I tried for awhile and finally came back with the golf ball. The homeowner said he had a pack of golf balls laying around and that someone had opened them.

I still don't know how I was able to bring that golf ball back. I would of thought the cable would of kept pushing it further down the line, not brought it back.

Btw, I was using a Ridgid K-380 with a 3/8"-1/2" tipped end?!.

Sorry for only 3 pictures.
    Last edited by Aaron91; 03-20-2008, 06:05 PM.
    Proud To Be Union!!

Re: We don't need no stinking K-60. (Job-Hole in One)

Nice catch!
    Don't see that every day
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Aaron, you are going to be an awesome plumber. Your knowledge and skill as a second-year apprentice is impressive.
      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Thanks guys.

Thanks for that Service Guy.

Funny you bring that up. When I was brain storming how I wanted to do the job I sorta felt the homeowner getting worried. Then he asked "How old are you?" I thought ah **** here we go. I turn it into a guessing game. He guessed 21 and probably **** himself when he found out I was 17.

I knew I had to complete this job, due to the fact that one General Contractor won't/rather not have me on the job due to my age.

No, there's no insurance problems, he just don't like the fact that I'm only 17.
        Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Just out of curiosity. . . .was it one of those toilets that advertises you can flush a dozen golf balls?
          I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Haha. It was a Kohler. A Kohler Cimarron if I remember correctly. So yes it was.
            Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Good grab on the golfball, but that alone shouldn't clog a 3" drain...was it snagged on something?

Also, the 11 golfball flush is American Standards claim to faim.

Comment

Duck- This is where I wish our company would have had a camera. I ran the cable after removing the golf ball, and it felt great.

Who knows, make a pipe wasn't all the way home, and the golf ball got caught in between the pipe and the end of the hub, catching everything that came by.
                Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

HA, I like the bit about the age. You must catch a lot of that. It kind of sucks for you though, your one of the few in your generation thats worth more than a fart. If anyone doubts you only based on your age, it's because they look at their own kid or, themselves for that matter and think 'no freakin way'. Your well on you way to becoming a fine young man! And just think, pretty soon you'll be able to ride in the van without the car seat. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I like to mess with customers (the ones with a sense of humor anyway) and say things like " WOW. I've been doing this for like two weeks and, I've never seen something like that"!
                  INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                  Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

That pipe has a sag in it. We use golf balls in Hawaii for fishing weights because they sink but bounce off rocks. The only way a golf ball was left in the line is if it has a sag. Using a ping pong ball is another low tech to find if the line has sags or dips.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Using a ping pong ball is another low tech to find if the line has sags or dips.

Can you please explain this to me?i thanks.

Comment

But still the question remains. How did that golf ball get jammed into the retrieval spring head?

Gene- That 2 week line is hilarious.
                        Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by libbyloulou View Post
                          Using a ping pong ball is another low tech to find if the line has sags or dips.

Can you please explain this to me?i thanks.
                          If you can see the downstream exit of the pipe such as a manhole turn the water on about halfway. Drop a ping pong in the line upstream. Any dips or sags will either have standing water or collecting water where the water will just swirl around. A ping pong will float and won't pass either section. So if you get the ball back, all is well. If you don't, you got issues but you won't be sure where without a sewer camera.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

You can't get more low tech then that.
                            OOPS, I forgot the "O.K. Flush".... "YEP, I see water" method

Comment

Thanks for that, makes sense

Comment

Working...
                              X