K-60 not scared of heights!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K-60 not scared of heights!!!

Had to use my brand new K 60 today, was hoping for a nice job to practice on, but when my super vee could'nt do the job. I had to bring him out, only problem was four stories up on a pitched roof, started out nice weather then started snowing..., got 90 feet down a 2 inch vent, pretty hard to pull back out thought!!!
    easy machine to use...a drum would have had me off the roof!!
    any advise on opening the jaw up for 5/8?
    i ended up eyeballing the jaw inside the machine to make shaw it gripped the cable, but not to tight so the cable could'nt go through, is there a proper limit?

also i dont use the machine everyday, so what maintenance do your guys recommend, i scrubbed all my cables with a brush and car shampoo, and dryed them off.
    Is there any nice smelling products out there for storage
    the drive home was minging( head out the window minging)
    also any cleaners you recommend for cleaning cables. any tips would be great!!
    thanks guys

Re: K-60 not scared of heights!!!

Originally posted by British Plumber View Post
    Had to use my brand new K 60 today, was hoping for a nice job to practice on, but when my super vee could'nt do the job. I had to bring him out, only problem was four stories up on a pitched roof, started out nice weather then started snowing..., got 90 feet down a 2 inch vent, pretty hard to pull back out thought!!!

90' is a long run for any roof job 4 stories up. i've gone further but not 4 stories up.

you aint kidding

use an allen wrench to loosen up the screw on the side of the machine. a good adjustment would be about 2'' before the handle is fully locked down to engage the cable. it will allow it to idle without spinning the cable.

i ended up eyeballing the jaw inside the machine to make shaw it gripped the cable, but not to tight so the cable could'nt go through, is there a proper limit?

also i dont use the machine everyday, so what maintenance do your guys recommend, i scrubbed all my cables with a brush and car shampoo, and dryed them off.
    thanks guys
    typically as i am snaking the water flowing does a good job washing the cables. if it's really greassy, i'll pressure wash off the muck. also snake oil is good to keep the cable and the locking pins/ springs lubed.

glad it worked out for you. with time will come all the tricks and speed. keep posting your victories and questions. ben is pretty sharp with the k-60 too.

if there are no 2'' traps on the line, i have good luck with the 7/8'' cable and straight auger.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

For the 5/8 cable; Push down the clutch handle and put the cable in like you normally do and tighten the back end like normal. The handle will rise as it gets tighter on the cable. I go for about the same handle position as the 7/8 cable. I clean my cables with regular wd40. Works great. Be very careful going through a 2" roof vent with a 7/8 cable. The cable can physically go through it but if you get roots, coming up will be a pain. I will only go through 2" with a 7/8 cable if I can physically see the drain line first.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by British Plumber View Post

thanks guys

I would definitely recommend oiling your cables after you wash them down to prevent rust. Ridgid has a good oil and so does General
        The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Come on,I wan't to hear how much the guys that ride in their van compartment with their sewer gear love plumbing.

Comment

Hahaha Still a better smell then that dead rat in the wall smell I do go thru a lot of spray on deoderizer though
            Seattle Drain Service

Comment

after a real nasty job i'll spray the cables and auger or cutter with Simple Green and keep the widows down. it works most of the time. sometimes nothing will kill the stench. BTW it's a great theft preventer. i've seen folks walk away from the van before passing it.

either a good washing with the hose or a power washer if it's NASTY NASTY and a spraying of WD-40. i really hit the connections good. i also keep a can in the auger bucket if one decides to be a bit contrary.

steve
              In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

And now you know why I have the trailer
                http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                  And now you know why I have the trailer
                  there are way too many places here you could never get a trailer out of. and THAT'S why i have a van

steve
                  In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

You have never seen me pull a trailer I can get anywhere you can and my machines have wheels

Comment

You have never seen me pull a trailer I can get anywhere you can and my machines have wheels
                      Yeah but too bad they are inoperable
                      I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Didn`t you see I mixed Milwaukee and Ridgid and got by

Tell Rick to try that with a K-60

Comment

Didn`t you see I mixed Milwaukee and Ridgid and got by

Tell Rick to try that with a K-60
                          Yeah, well I am pretty sure the contest requires you to choose 1 machine I don't think it counts to take a part from here and a part from there

That was clever so you could get by though
                          I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

Am I gonna get DQed because I`m mixing ....awwwwwwwww

Comment

Am I gonna get DQed because I`m mixing ....awwwwwwwww
                              Did you ever see the movie Frankenhooker? It was a bad "B" movie. What you are doing reminds me of it
                              I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

Working...
                              X