Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K60 - How do you setup and pack it up?

I've talked to a couple guys on here and decided to post this so others can read up on what/how guys are setting up their K60 when they clean drains.

As of my last drain cleaning in a small bathroom, I setup my machine like this:

K60 about a foot and a half away from the clean out or toilet flange (if the toilet has to be pulled). I am on the right side of it (use my left hand for the clutch, which is weird since I'm right handed) and my guide tube goes out the bathroom door and my cable and cable carrier is at the end of the guide tube. If there is room, I'll keep it all in the same room as me and loop the guide tube around.

Now, when I pull cable back, I have usually pulled it back through the machine and guide tube just in case I have to refeed it again, but I hear from someone else that they just pull the cable back from the drain and put it in the cable carrier. Heck, I didn't even think about getting rid of the guide tube when putting it back. I guess I like the guide tube on the machine when putting cable back because I thought it was easier to control when putting it back in the cage. But, never tried pulling cable back without the guide hose.

Anyone else want to toss out some tips or thoughts about how to make jobs go smoother and quicker? I know this question might be kind of weird, but if I can save some time or learn something new (without banging up the customer's walls), then it's all worth it
    YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Re: K60 - How do you setup and pack it up?

if possible i like to retrieve the cable from the C/O, flange, pipe without the machine in the way. i feel it gives me better leverage. but there has been the time or two that i've had to reconnect the machine because i need to reverse to retrieve.

make sense?

BTW, i'm using a 50 & 75 but the principle is the same

steve
    In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

First thing is to load your cable carrier female end first and have all the cable connected. Then in this order for those without the limited edition k60 cart- cable carrier next to the c/o, k60 behind the carrier, guide hose on ground not connected to machine(just on floor and loop the end back to the carrier. I feed with my left hand and control handle with right.

Put cutter on cable (still in carrier) and feed cable directly into the c/o. When the cable can't go anymore, disconnect at the closet joint. Put the cable in the pipe into the machine leaving about 4 inches sticking out the back. Feed the male end of the cable (in the carrier) into the back of the guide hose where it'll come to the back of the machine. Connect the joints and continue on. The disconnected guide hose will go back and forth but will never expose more than a foot of spinning cable. I haven't found this to be a problem and this is much easier than the recommended way in the training video.

To retrive cable; disconnect and leave one section in guide hose. Bring cable directly from c/o to carrier. You'll sometimes get hung up and this is why you leave a section in the guide hose. This also rotates the cable so each section gets about equal use. The section still in the guide hose gets attached to the last section in the carrier.

This way is a little complicated but works very fast. Very little of the pipe is dirty so I don't see a need to have the cable spinning the entire way down.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I prefer the K-50 in a bathroom unless you are doing a main line. However, once I am done with the cleaning the machine (K-50 of K-60) is moved out of the way and I feed the cable directly into the cage.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

How easy does that open wind pull back without spinning . I'm talking about a few 45 or 90's in the Line?

Comment

Very easily and it's very clean too.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
              How easy does that open wind pull back without spinning . I'm talking about a few 45 or 90's in the Line?
              i had a nasty kitchen the other day. no c/o so i removed the 1.5'' trap and ran my k-50 with 5/8'' cable in 5 sections. 35' + 2.5' in the cabinet/ machine. since i had it apart, i had no water to help flush or clean. the cable was dirty/ black. i pulled and when it was hard, i just start it up a second and continue pulling. the last 3 sections 22.5' came out without spinning.

everything stayed clean and i placed all my dirty cable into a 5 gallon bucket. took it outside with some soap and washed it off.

kithcne sinks without a c/o are the nastiest, dirtiest fixtures there is to clean. but with a little bit of thinking, you can keep it clean.

remember that the cables start off clean and dry in the cage. and since they arn't drum machines, they are not sitting inside of a drum full of wet, rusty, oily muck.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Not trying to be tease but I made something that will allow you to run water down the drain while the trap is dissasembled. Cable comes back lickety clean. I'll post pics once I get a new camera.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Wow! Thanks for all the responses, guys! It's very much appreciated! I guess I'll now get the machine out of the way and just pull the cable back and put it in the cage. If one does need to put it in reverse for a few short seconds (in case one is stuck somehow), it's easy enough to just put the machine back in place.

Gear Junkie - I'm just curious if you use some sort of Y fitting when you mentioned your little setup to run water while the P trap is disconnected.

Also, I understand your description and thanks for explaining it One question: If you leave the rear guide hose off, does it still work without the cart setup you have? I saw your video and notice that the rear guide hose is suspended in the air using a type of rope attached to the cart. All my cleanings are in basements and a cart like that won't work

Thanks again, guys!
                  Last edited by HouseOfAtlas; 07-05-2008, 11:26 AM.
                  YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                    Not trying to be tease but I made something that will allow you to run water down the drain while the trap is dissasembled. Cable comes back lickety clean. I'll post pics once I get a new camera.
                    i've used an abs st.45 banded to the nipple, another st 45 pointed back to you with a tee pointed down. this allows for a small bucket to catch the waste water. then a hose aerator adapter with a cut off washing machine hose to clean and test the drain shoved into the line past the tee and 45's.

with an abs trap that is glued on, you either have to cut off the trap arm or reassemble the trap and retest with the cable still in.

i actually have a very old brass slip joint 1.5'' nut that has a garden hose thread built in. or you can get a jim cap with a built in hose bibb adapter and flush out the cable and line by banding this to a 1' piece of abs and slipping it over the cable that's sticking out.

this will allow you to test and clean the line and cable before you pull it back.

no pictures, just a mental one

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by HouseOfAtlas View Post
                      Gear Junkie - I'm just curious if you use some sort of Y fitting when you mentioned your little setup to run water while the P trap is disconnected. It's a tailpeice w/ a garbage disposal outlet

Also, I understand your description and thanks for explaining it One question: If you leave the rear guide hose off, does it still work without the cart setup you have? Yes, it'll just ride up in mid air.
                      As soon as you try it out, you'll see what I mean.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                        As soon as you try it out, you'll see what I mean.
                        Gotcha! I'll have to try it out Thanks again!

Plumber Rick - I'll have to try that out and make up a few hoses that can attach to different faucets (ones with male threads and one for female threads) or just have a few different adapters handy.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

Working...
                        X