k-60 impressionator

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: k-60 impressionator

So, a local plumber who refers drain cleaning to me called me up the other day and said he had a k-60 he'd got off another buddy who'd moved on. He didn't use it and wanted it gone. I paid $250 for it, some 5/8 cable, some 7/8 cable and a box of bits, mitts, guide hose, etc. It's the older one, the gray case with the red stripe. I've use it once, mostly because I'd just got it and wanted to try it out.

Really it was a nightmare. Cable flopping around dripping everywhere, getting caught in itself in the carriers, etc. It popped the clog, a main line grease clog in a house about 80' out, but I had to jet it afterward anyway as the line was a roller coaster full of grease collected in the dips.

Honestly, I got out of there in 2 hours after popping it, camera, jet, and camera again to locate dips and verify clear, but only because I had another guy with me to help manage the cables. I'd have done it in 2 hours alone with a drum, or less if I'd just jetted straight off. If I'd not been in a basement with a concrete floor I could drip on, it would have been longer. Am I missing something? How do you keep from dripping all over everything with this? Do I just need to spend some more time with it? Maybe some covers for the cable carriers, though the way the cable gets caught in itself in the carrier they would have to be removeable to get the cable out. It really isn't much more portable than the drum, just breaks into smaller lighter pieces. I'll use it some more, but I suspect it is going to become a special needs machine for me for very cramped accesses or small galvy lines that I can't get the jetter through.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
      So, a local plumber who refers drain cleaning to me called me up the other day and said he had a k-60 he'd got off another buddy who'd moved on. He didn't use it and wanted it gone. I paid $250 for it, some 5/8 cable, some 7/8 cable and a box of bits, mitts, guide hose, etc. It's the older one, the gray case with the red stripe. I've use it once, mostly because I'd just got it and wanted to try it out.

Really it was a nightmare. Cable flopping around dripping everywhere, getting caught in itself in the carriers, etc. It popped the clog, a main line grease clog in a house about 80' out, but I had to jet it afterward anyway as the line was a roller coaster full of grease collected in the dips.

Honestly, I got out of there in 2 hours after popping it, camera, jet, and camera again to locate dips and verify clear, but only because I had another guy with me to help manage the cables. I'd have done it in 2 hours alone with a drum, or less if I'd just jetted straight off. If I'd not been in a basement with a concrete floor I could drip on, it would have been longer. Am I missing something? How do you keep from dripping all over everything with this? Do I just need to spend some more time with it? Maybe some covers for the cable carriers, though the way the cable gets caught in itself in the carrier they would have to be removeable to get the cable out. It really isn't much more portable than the drum, just breaks into smaller lighter pieces. I'll use it some more, but I suspect it is going to become a special needs machine for me for very cramped accesses or small galvy lines that I can't get the jetter through.
      Hey Rick
      http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post

I usually set a big tarp down and set everything on it. My first job was somewhat of a nightmare (but was cleared pretty quick), but after reading some posts on what other people do and how they set up, it's been much easier.

When you pull the cable back, do you get the machine out of the way and just throw it back in the carrier?

Did you have the guide tube on?
        YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

don't care how good anybody thinks they are at drain cleaning.

when using a different piece of equipment, there is a learning curve.

i'm sure standing side by side with anyone doing the same job, an experienced operator will be much more proficient than an inexperienced operator.

try again and read some of the tips and tricks.

there are plenty of ways to keep it clean, fast and safe.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Guide tube on back of machine, add/remove cable in sections, carrier at back of guide tube, need the tarp to set the carrier and end of guide tube on as they come back wet

downsides as I'm running it are

need 15' or so of clear space to lay guide tube out.

makes a second dirty spot; one at working end of machine, one at end of guide tube

moving self back and forth between front of machine and guide tube end to add/remove sections

time lost adding/removing sections.... this will be smoother once I wd40 the spring pins; it had all sat out in the weather a while and they were rusty and stubborn.... there is still time lost there though

upsides are? I do like the way the cable negotiates bends while still carrying some power.... I think the 7/8 open will take more torque abuse than the 1/2" inner core I typically use. Also, This has the Ridgid bits which unlike my current threaded suds I can run in reverse w/o unspinning a bit, though there are alternatives for that for the drum.

I suppose I could just curl the guide tube back to where I am working and place the carrier there and have one bigger dirty spot and not have to go back and forth? that would be easier if I have the space. I do think I will like the power and flexibility of the open cable, not sure if it will be worth the setup hassles vs just rolling in the drum machine. obviously the cleanliness issues dissapear if working outside, though there I am usually jetting anyway.
            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

I connect and disconnect my cables at the front of the machine and I keep the carrier next to me. I also perfer the K-50 for 5/8" cable.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I just use a drum machine and there is no mess

Comment

news flash

so joey and i are "playing" at our local hardware store and in walks the owner of roots in this thread. since he wasn't home when i did the job, i pulled them up on the stores computer

needless to say he was impressed

true story, adam and joey were here.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

I'm certainly no expert having only used the K-60 once so far. But I was in a cramped space. No problem - I just laid out the tarp and wrapped the guide hose around behind me. The machine sits close to the drain with just enough cable out to lift and feed.

What's with the mess? I ran water in the line while pulling back the cable and got nothing out of the guide hose. I feed the cable into the front of the machine and then hook it to the piece in the drain.

With much of the pulling-back, I simply pull the cable out and shove it back in the reel - not back into the machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Herk View Post

With much of the pulling-back, I simply pull the cable out and shove it back in the reel - not back into the machine.
                      I dont have to PULL CABLE or PUSH CABLE or SHOVE it back in the reel- not back in to the machine, as it does all that for me

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                        I dont have to PULL CABLE or PUSH CABLE or SHOVE it back in the reel- not back in to the machine, as it does all that for me
                        I bet that 275+ pound machine is heavy going up 15+ stairs though, huh?
                        YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

nope not bad at all.
                          If I have a job like that I just use one of my guy`s to help out and I make more money for a 2 man team
                          Thats how it works in the real world

Comment

why wont anyone just admit the truth---drummers are cleaner and quicker---
                            sectionals are messy and a pain in the azz--

ok, some of u might have done 1 job with a sectional and didnot make a mess--every time i use my drum, i have no mess--
                            THIS ISNT EVEN AN ARGUEMENT--DRUMS ARE EASIER ON THE USER AND CLEANER FOR THE HOMEOWNER----WHEN IM 60, ID RATHER STILL BE SITTING ON MY BUCKET USING THE DRUM, THAN FIGHTING A SECTIONAL----ADMIT IT--SO WOULD ALL OF US

Comment

I have an idea why don't we total all of the years of experience for the guys who prefer drum machines against the guys who prefer sectional machines. While I own both if I had to pick one or the other it would be a sectional.

35-years

Mark
                              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                                nope not bad at all.
                                If I have a job like that I just use one of my guy`s to help out and I make more money for a 2 man team
                                Thats how it works in the real world
                                Yeah. A helper would be helpful

I'm just curious what you would do if you were just a one man crew. Say you couldn't find any good help. Would you ever consider using a sectional?

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

Working...
                                X