k60 knocking noise, cable slipping

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• k60 knocking noise, cable slipping

My (6 month old) k60 has started making a knocking noise when cable is in a bind. The noise is the cable slipping in the jaws, I think. Did I reassemble the jaws wrong, or use too much lube? That's all I can think of. Handle is engaging about half way down. Thanks!

Re: k60 knocking noise, cable slipping

since i can't picture what you have going on, i would say to double check the clutch/ jaws and make sure they are clean.

also make sure the plastic shield that secures the jaws is properly inserted.

make sure the belt is not too tight or loose.

and finally double check the allen screw on the drive pulley of the motor.

topdawg just had this happen to his machine.

look for any wear, or metal shavings that might show a wear pattern.

of course you can alwaysbring it in for a quick peek at your local service center that specializes in drain cleaning equiptment.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Jaws are set right. Plastic cover installed right. Gear pulley not slipping. Jaws are clean. But if I hold cable while engaged and try to keep it from spinning, loud knocking noise. As it knocks, motor is moving up and then back down. Best guess is that knocking noise is cable slipping within jaws. Is cable supposed to slip within jaws if it meets a certain amount of resistance? Thanks.

Comment

Sounds serious. I would definately have it look at before using it again. My K60 never slips. When it binds up all the way to a complete stop, it automatically switches into reverse.

Comment

How much do you let your 60 torque up? I've never had mine torque up that much where it would go into reverse.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Sounds like the motor's come loose or something. "Motor is moving up and back down" surely doesn't sound right.

Comment

Is the motor adjustment bolt on the side tight?
              Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
                Is the motor adjustment bolt on the side tight?
                sounds right too.

the adjustment bolt should be touching the motor with the plastic button. the tension whould be about 1/2 turn beyond the weight of the motor.

if it's rubbing then there should not be a jump to the motor.

p.s. my motor will reverse when a heavy load is encountered and the cable torques in reverse.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Hey Rick....never mind
                  http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Even though the motor tension adjustment bolt was secure, and untouched by me, by undoing it and resetting it according to the owner's manual, as advised by several of you, the problem is solved. The adjustment bolt is now a good 1/4 inch further in than originally. So I guess the moral is, since I bought it in the winter, the summer heat has expanded the belt, or else, a couple of hours of use have stretched it out. Maybe k60 belts have a break in period like drive belts for a car. Or it's temperature driven, and I need to routinely adjust it as the seasons change. But since no one mentioned this, and since the owner's manual only addresses belt tension in regard to belt changes--not routine adjustments--I don't know. It was set where the factory set it, and the problem did not occur until after several months of use. So it must be that the belt stretched out.

Thanks for everyone's help. If anyone else found themselves needing to routinely adjust belt tension, I would appreciate hearing from you. Thanks.

Comment

buyfield... I'd still give tech service a call and see if they have any ideas on the issue.

Josh

Comment

Working...
                      X