X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mighty K-60 Gets a Workout

So I'm finally getting some drain cleaning jobs. Did several today. Yes, the four-blade cutter works far better on grease than the two-blade did.

First drain job today was yet another floor drain/kitchen clean. I hit a few hard spots but otherwise went right through. Second one was a mainline from an outside cleanout. There were some very small roots, but mostly it was a soft blockage. Had to run that one about 120'. Then up on the roof to do a kitchen drain with the 5/8" and I could just feel it going through hard and soft spots in the grease.

I worked without the guide hose on the main drain, using some broken concrete chunks lined up to keep the cable tamed. The cleanout was right under a bush and I had to cut some of the bush away to get close enough.

I'm not sure what's going on, but I'm getting so much work now that I can't keep up. Partly, that's because I went back into drain cleaning, and I had two calls today from an area where I put out door hangers last weekend. Marketing works! People get real excited about those $10 coupons.

I haven't been this busy in seven years. Of course, it could all calm down in a week or so, but it's been getting busier steadily for several months. If I keep marketing, I should be able to stay very busy.

Re: Mighty K-60 Gets a Workout

That's good news Herk and more reinforcement to the statement the more niches you have the more work you get.

Mark
    Last edited by ToUtahNow; 09-11-2008, 11:39 PM. Reason: Joey
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Glad to hear of your success. Only more to come.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

herk, as you get the real feel for the k-60, you'll be an old pro

once again, the straight auger, sawtooth cutter, and 4 blade cutters are the best for the 7/8''.

the bulb is better for the 5/8'', along with the straight auger and 4 blade.

glad you had a good day

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Glad to hear business is good.Stay with the doorhangers.I need to order more myself.Goodby.
          Kenneth Collier
          Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
          Jackson, MS 39206
          (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
          drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

Well keep your k-60 outa Washington my k-60 doesn't get along with other k-60's lol
            Good job herk
            Seattle Drain Service

Comment

I liked the K 60 it had plenty of power and I could get open lines with it that I couldn't get open with the cable from my 1500 the smaller cable could snake through turns the 1500 1 1/4 couldn't. But I lost a lot of customers because my customers didn't think that small of a machine could clean as good as my old 1500 so the job's went to the cleaners who had the 75's I kept the 1500 with me at all times I just never needed it. I guess I just didn't explain it properly about the power. They Knew I had the 1500 and must have thought I was just to laze to use it. But the truth was with so meany basements being finished out with computers TV. I just didn't have the room for the 1500 on a lot of calls. Now I use a 7500 and keep the 1500 for back up and looks. IM glad to hear your calls are picking up I have my up and downs but with so meany trying to sell up. Using a K 3800 on a 4 IN. to 6 IN. main line then bringing in a camera when it wont open, then a backhoe when the camera wont go down, next stop whole new pipe. IM all for profit but I have seen to meany have there pipe replaced when all it had was a soap clog. That might be one of the reasons your getting more calls. You are there to actually open the line not replace it unless you got too

Comment

Originally posted by gtmerkley View Post
                Using a K 3800 on a 4 IN. to 6 IN. main line then bringing in a camera when it wont open, then a backhoe when the camera wont go down, next stop whole new pipe. IM all for profit but I have seen to meany have there pipe replaced when all it had was a soap clog. That might be one of the reasons your getting more calls. You are there to actually open the line not replace it unless you got too
                I am so sick of seeing crap like that happen in my town. There is a plumbing outfit in my town doing work for the home warranty companies. I've lost track of how many times I have had to go behind them. They will send a K-39 with at most 35 feet of cable down a 50 foot kitchen drain line, and then go into there little speech. "Well ma'am, I'm the best drain cleaner in the town. If I can't get it with my professional machine, then we need to replace the line. I can crawl under the house and change it, but it will be very expensive for me to just look under there."

Usually at that point the smart customers throw the so called plumber out, and get a hold of me. I get there and use either my K-60 or my K-380, and within half an hour, the line is flowing just like it was new.

Comment

Originally posted by Nevada plumber View Post
                  I am so sick of seeing crap like that happen in my town. There is a plumbing outfit in my town doing work for the home warranty companies. I've lost track of how many times I have had to go behind them. They will send a K-39 with at most 35 feet of cable down a 50 foot kitchen drain line, and then go into there little speech. "Well ma'am, I'm the best drain cleaner in the town. If I can't get it with my professional machine, then we need to replace the line. I can crawl under the house and change it, but it will be very expensive for me to just look under there."

Usually at that point the smart customers throw the so called plumber out, and get a hold of me. I get there and use either my K-60 or my K-380, and within half an hour, the line is flowing just like it was new.
                  AMEN! I am in the same situation as you here in town. Going in after other company has already been there and tried to fleece the customer.
                  Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I have had at least three or four kitchen sink drain replacements in the last month that started as drain calls. Being a licensed plumber I always go over all the options that people have before running a snake down the line. Most of these calls have an undersized sixty or seventy year old drain that is on its last legs. A bottle of drain cleaner next to the sink. I don't think I'm ripping anybody off by replacing the line. It's what I would do in my own home (have done) I don't expect that my kitchen sink drain will see a snake while I'm still alive. Sometimes the easy cheap fix is not in the customers best interest.

Comment

Originally posted by bacskcah View Post
                      I have had at least three or four kitchen sink drain replacements in the last month that started as drain calls. Being a licensed plumber I always go over all the options that people have before running a snake down the line. Most of these calls have an undersized sixty or seventy year old drain that is on its last legs. A bottle of drain cleaner next to the sink. I don't think I'm ripping anybody off by replacing the line. It's what I would do in my own home (have done) I don't expect that my kitchen sink drain will see a snake while I'm still alive. Sometimes the easy cheap fix is not in the customers best interest.
                      I'm curious what size drain they ran which was undersized.

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I always recommend replacing old, galvanized kitchen drains. But I will try to clean them the best I can, if the customer so chooses.
                        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                          I always recommend replacing old, galvanized kitchen drains. But I will try to clean them the best I can, if the customer so chooses.
                          We have a lot of tract houses out here built in the late 60's with 2" flat cast iron kitchen runs that continue on out to the garage as an after thought from the looks of the grade(backflow) on the ones(2)that I've replaced.

Kind of hard to convince someone to tear up there hardwood or tile floor in their family room and kitchen so I can sawcut their house in half to access their kitchen drain.

Raised houses are so much better in some ways.

Santa Monica,Beverly Hills and other high priced dirt communities are all rebuilding with basements now to get more square footage.Too bad that perfect plumbing access has to be covered up with drywall.

Comment

Working...
                          X