X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K-60 vs. K-1500

I have quite a bit of K-60 experience, but I have never used a K-1500. I am thinking I don't need the K-1500, because I do mostly 4" residential sewerlines and if the K-60 can't get it, I am going for the backhoe!
    Sectional guys: How often do you need more power than a K-60? Do you use your K-1500 very often? Is it THAT much stronger? Isn't it mainly for really large lines?
    I just never used a K-1500 and I am not sure I'll ever need one.
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Re: K-60 vs. K-1500

I own both machines. Had the 1500 for 15 years. Never had a stoppage it couldn't handle. The K60 only a few months but use it nearly on a daily basis. The k60 gave me a fit only on 2 occasions. Major root intrusion. I was able to work through with the k60 but not without a fight and a pretty good scare when I was stuck.

I didn't have the spiral root saw that Rick recommended. I should have known better.

You know, the fear you get when it's stuck solid. Friday evening. Darkness approaching in a bad neighborhood. The customer peeking over your shoulder asking when he can use the toilet again.

The tradeoff is worth it not to have to mess with the 1500 but she's nice to have as a backup when the k60 just isn't man enough.

Mostly 4" here and a few 6" clay sewers.

And yes it is THAT much stronger

Comment

I have both a K-60 and a K-1500 plus the K-500. I find the K-1500 does not get used much but when you need it there is nothing it cannot clear. The problem is you need to leave it in your shop as it is too heavy and takes too much room not to.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

At a company I used to work for every truck had a k 60 and there was one k1500 at the shop. It only got busted out on 4" lines if the 60 could get it, only happened to me once. But if we knew we were going to clean a larger line it always came with use. I once ran 500 ft of cable and it barly phased the machine

Comment

Very useful responses guys. Ok, it sounds like the 1500 is something I should have in my arsenal, but not necessary at this early stage of my business. I thought about getting a 7500 drum as an alternative, but that thing weighs like 300 lb.s and there is a reason they use the 1500 to cut boards, NOT a drum! Sectionals rule!

Comment

I would buy sectional innercore cable and this will be able to handle big roots with ease.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Ben, I read that Rick only uses the inner-core as a leader. Do you also, or do you run all inner-core? I don't understand how using inner-core only on the front has much benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                Ben, I read that Rick only uses the inner-core as a leader. Do you also, or do you run all inner-core? I don't understand how using inner-core only on the front has much benefit.
                carl, you're a good reader

i have only 30' (2 sections) of ridgid 7/8'' innercore. the innercore does not make the cable stronger. it makes it less prone to flexing. therefore i run it in the front to allow it to stay ridgid in the larger pipe. this is also where the real cutting gets done.

i also own 75' of general innercore like bens. never have used it. i know that the ridgid innercore is a lot less weight than the general. i have no problem carrying 75' of ridgid cable and 15' of ridgid innercore in the cage.

i doubt even ben wants to carry 90' of general innercore.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks Rick, that clears it up for me.

Anyway, back on topic...I'll be getting a K-1500 and some 1.25" cables to add to my drain-cleaning arsenal, but not until I get my seesnake first! I have been thinking about it for awhile and I have decided to get into drain-cleaning hardcore, and make it my main business as a service plumber. I want to be the BEST drain-cleaning company in the county. The 'rooter' franchises need some serious competition anyway.

Comment

The other option is to buy some 1 1/4" innercore cable and use your right angle drill. Gene(the inventor of this) and Rick have had great success with this. I just got a good deal off ebay where I bought 80' of cable for 300, buy it now. I can't wait to try this as well.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I can't find any place online that sells 7/8" sectional innercore cable. Anybody know where I can get some?

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        i doubt even ben wants to carry 90' of general innercore.

rick.
                        I have 90' of the innercore cable but only keep 30' on the truck due to weight. If I had a bigger truck than i would keep all of it on the truck. The other advantage to the heaver cable is that it stays on the bottom. The job where I pulled out the concrete like sedimantation was a job where this came in useful. The lighter cable just skipped right over the stoppage but the heavier cable weighed it down allowing the cutter head to work.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                          I can't find any place online that sells 7/8" sectional innercore cable. Anybody know where I can get some?
                          cable center of st. louis, buy 3 get 1 free special.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                          X