X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another k-60 sale?

I think I am going to bite the bullet.... Had a papertowel stoppage at the inlaws tonight and the General was fighting me tooth and nail down stairs real PIA... Ill be checking out the Bay for some decent priced used ones for occasional use! Most likely it will me just me so I want something that isnt going to make me cringe everything i think about loading it into the truck! Ill need to go west though and take some lessons from the pros!

Re: Another k-60 sale?

Anything you can do with a K60, you can also do with a K50. Rick, back me up here......
    Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Yeah the only reason i would go k-60 is my father would be able to use it with his excavating company to snake out 6" area drains, cant run 7/8" cable in a k-50 now can you?

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
        Anything you can do with a K60, you can also do with a K50. Rick, back me up here......
        Not. A k-60 has more power and can use larger cable (7/8"), you can't cut roots with a K-50.
        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Go east young man.Out here it's all drums.Mark and Rick are the only ones I know who use sectional.They're the thing on the left coast.Not to say these two wouldn't pour there heart into giving you everything they know.

Comment

Nothing but drums here too as a matter of fact i didnt know anyone used sectionals other than municipalities for BIG stuff

Comment

The only downside of a sectional is having to handle all the sections....out of the cable carrier, into the drain, out of the drain, back in the carrier...its something I'll never enjoy. Other than that I believe that sectionals are superior to drums in every other way, especially when it comes to larger lines and root-cutting, when weight and safety become big factors. I prefer the speed and cleanliness of a drum for small drains, but give me a sectional for anything 4" and up. They are more portable, use more flexible open-wind cable, they have a clutch for safety and control and spin at faster RPMs. And I believe they are better at cleaning lines. So despite the awkward handling of the cable sections, I still prefer my K-60 to any drum machine.

Go for it!

Comment

I've cut plenty of roots with my little 5/8" cable, just gotta have the right cutter. The 5/8" will grab and wrap them just as good as the 7/8".

Comment

I've cut plenty of roots with my little 5/8" cable, just gotta have the right cutter. The 5/8" will grab and wrap them just as good as the 7/8".
                  I prefer the K-50 to the K-60 if you could only own one machine. However, the K-50 is not a main line machine.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Mark do you feel a k-60 would be effective on 8" HDPE?

Comment

I am sure it will for small roots, but a K-50 and 5/8" cable will be much weaker and not do the same job as a K-60. Not even close. Even the K-60 gets bogged down sometimes on heavy roots and I am thinking to go to its big brother and buy a K-1500 heavy-duty assault machine to take on the real big roots!

Comment

I'm do occasional drain cleaning. But I would be scared to use 5/8" in 3"+ as it doesn't seem to be strong enough for what you will encounter. Heading for a cable break.

Sectional
                        -More handling of the cable. Got to be more careful to keep everything clean.

MUCH more forgiving to the operator AND to the plumbing. As a plumber, the open wind is flexible enough to effect clogs, wall buildup etc. without having as much impact on the plumbing in my opinion. In short, you're less likely to damage the DWV.

Less weight. To me it's easier to maneuver. Very versatile. 1 machine can do most things.

Drum-Cleaner. Easier to operate. Can be faster.

Heavier. Less forgiving. More difficult to maneuver.

Everyone should have both to be the most efficient and do the best job.

J.C.

Comment

Well I am west coast and have a K-60 and drum machines. K-60 on 6" - 8" how long of run? What kind of obstuctions? The K-60 is a compact, mean machine, feeds out by it's nature and yes You pull it back. But for it's size to load, carry, and use it is a great package. I have actually started having better luck with the K-60 on long root filled runs with seperated or no floor pipes. I still hate pulling it out but I did it with drum machines for years before I got an auto feed. After you use one for a while you discover ways to make it not be a hassle, I use a section of abs pipe to keep it tame, and the cable if you run water actually comes out way cleaner because of the open wind and larger cable size.
                          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                            I am sure it will for small roots, but a K-50 and 5/8" cable will be much weaker and not do the same job as a K-60. Not even close. Even the K-60 gets bogged down sometimes on heavy roots and I am thinking to go to its big brother and buy a K-1500 heavy-duty assault machine to take on the real big roots!
                            I've never seen a root diameter larger than maybe 4 millimeters. What kind of trees do you have down there?

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                              Mark do you feel a k-60 would be effective on 8" HDPE?
                              Nope not even close.

Mark
                              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                              X