X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K-60 / k-39 FAILURE

Kitchen sink backup, no problem right? K-39 to the rescue, only problem is drum won't turn same problem as I posted back in July and get this the SAME customer!! Just a different location in the house. Not feeling very happy with my Harbor Frieght K-39 I go for my brand new, never used K-60 5/8" through cast iron santee @ 3-4' and the K-60 STOPS running, thinking I bumped the toggle no! Checked gfi, elec. sniffer, juice in the cord. Checked the manual, maybe reset switch NOTHING! All this with elderly customer watching just like the last time I was there and the new K-39 quit. I'm looking real good you know I bought the K-39 in July and four jobs in it quits, used it maybe 6 times since no problems. Just bought the K-60 along with Seesnakeplus and Scout. I'm really wondering if I jumped on right band wagon, Gotta be honest if I had bought this equipment at a big box it would be going back tommorrow instead I'll be playing the shipping back to Ohio game. This with a new add coming out the day before Thanksgiving. All around great timing don't you think?

wookie

Re: K-60 / k-39 FAILURE

While you shouldn't have to do a darn thing to it, the K-60 is a pretty simple machine running wise, isn't it?

Just an electric motor. If I was in your situation I'd take a peek inside rather than ship it first.

I have a K-39 without any problems other than the "black water sling" and it is a light duty drill.

Sorry for your problems. I'd be pissed too. Are you sure it was a woman or was it a ghost of a woman???

J.C.

Comment

wookie, both are a fairly simple design. is j.m. mckinney anywhere close to you? they are a factory service center and jeff use to work for ridgid.

he can probably get it fixed while you wait.

where are you located? do you need a loaner

p.m. me if i can help

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by wookie View Post
        the SAME customer!! Just a different location in the house.
        I find it interesting that both problems happened in the same house. It is quite possible the house has electrical problems. Or maybe its just coincidence.
        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

If you are able to stress the K60 there is a reset button. There is more going on........... when you got home both pieces don't work? Ridgids are the opposite of most company's tools they will break your wrist before they give up.
          Last edited by Cuda; 11-22-2008, 08:38 AM.
          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Never had a problem with my 39 outside of a lose wire that when held wrong it wouldn't run had to jiggle the wire. The K 60 I kept having trouble with the back bearing freezing up, but it was made the first year they changed from the suite case design I changed the bearings and tried to keep it clean but I finale gave up on it and put it in my museum of drain cleaning stuff and bought a route 66 general I didn't like it much better the motor didn't have as much power and would stop when thing got tough. The K 60 was a wonderful machine lots of power but I loved it but It just couldn't take the punishment of several drains a day. But they may have fixed that problem with the newer ones. Mine was recalled to add grease fittings but it didn't work.

Comment

Just plugged both units in here at home, nothing working. The units were not stressed actually the K-39 saved my bacon earlier in the day, newbie story later The K-39 back in July when it magically started working again worked great at this house on a lav drain.

Rick, yes I have a Mckinney here in Anaheim where I live I'l be checking with them. Do you know anyone there personnaly? THANKYOU for the offer I get back with you.

Got to get to a estimate, sorry for the negative tone guys, one of those days, I know you've all had them to.

wookie= frustrated drain rookie

Comment

Did You push the reset button on the K-60?
                Seattle Drain Service

Comment

don't know anyone in anaheim, but jeff is the owner of the company and has close ties to ridgid.

anyone there can help you. just see if they can get it diagnosed while you wait.

the 39 could be a simple switch issue.

the 60 has an overload reset under the rear allen wrench screw at the back of the motor.

i've never tripped this, and i've put that machine through hell.

try the reset and if you can get to the forward, off, reverse switch, see if you have power there.

were off to san diego on the 29-30th. 405 freeway. pick an in-n-out burger stop to meet.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

2 functioning pieces of drain equipment failing at the same house. What are the odds?

I've had some pretty bizarre coincidences happen that I just couldn't explain.

Just have to caulk it up to bad Juju

I didn't know that the K60 had an overload button. Could the belt have been too tight and cause it to overheat?

Comment

Well I decided to stand on one leg and hold my breath and the k-39 started right up! I was able to tell right away this time it was in the switch AND found the reset button on the k-60, thats what happened! I still can't find reset instructions in the manual??

I'll be at Mckinneys when they open tommorrow and get things rolling.

I've made previous comments about the power and what appears to me to be nonpro looking wiring inside the k-39, after using the k-39 I'm beginning to understand that it has all the power it needs its just experience in using it, still not impressed with the looks of the wiring inside but I do like the unit and I'll love it more once we get the switch squared away.

I'll have Mckinney look at the k-60 see if anything obvious. I didn't over work it at all??

I will say even tho I had some trouble my planning made sense to me, k-39 and k-60 on the truck, k-39 breaks or I need a little more the 5/8" will give that added edge to get the job done.

Thanks all for input and to Rick for the generous offer

wookie

Comment

wookie, with all the work i put the k-60 through, i never, ever tripped the overload on the motor.

make sure to keep the rear bearing assy. clean and dry. this is the one that gets all the muck and moisture from wet cable. i've replaced this bearing once and it's good now. a rusty bearing will either freeze up or put a big load on the motor.

a tight drive belt will also put a load on the front bearing assy.

never had an issue with the k-39 either.

i guess it loves all the praise and loving i give it.

p.s. my k-60 feast on ficus. your's is just a little hungry. don't be scared to feed it

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Just tried experiment, fired up the K-60 no cable, let it run in forward position, no load and it quit after 9 minutes . Somethings up I'll check the belt tension.

wookie

Comment

the reset is a thermal overload.

is the motor getting hot to the touch?

there's a fan at the back end that might not be properly attached.

bring it in. it's a newer machine right?

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

The motor was warm didn't seem HOT . Yes brand new, I'll be at Mckinneys when they open tomorrow. Who the person at Ridgid I should contact if I need to expedite

thanks

wookie

Comment

Working...
                              X