X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K-60 trap leader

I bought a 7/8" trap leader, when would I use it with a sectional cable. The 7/8" sectionl cable seems flexable enough to not need a leader. I don't get it.

Thanks
    wookie

Re: K-60 trap leader

Originally posted by wookie View Post
    I bought a 7/8" trap leader, when would I use it with a sectional cable. The 7/8" sectionl cable seems flexable enough to not need a leader. I don't get it.

Thanks
    wookie
    i don't get it either

i don't have it either

but what i do have is a section of damaged 7/8'' cable with the coupling on just 1 end. the open end i heated up and bent it out as an auger/ hook. then oil cooled it to harden it.

you have to run the machine in reverse to use it to grab.

this is by far, my best secret weapon cable/ cutter.

i think ben has used this too

never had any issues with running the cable in reverse and i've never broken my home made auger.

i guess you could wait til you damage a cable or you can cut that leader in half and have 2 special augers

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Well Rick if you don't have one I guess I won't need mine When I get a new tool I tend to get most of the accessories, If they make it then I guess I need it

Thanks

wookie

Comment

Originally posted by wookie View Post
        When I get a new tool I tend to get most of the accessories, If they make it then I guess I need it
        marketing at its finest

steve
        In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

I use my trap leader for 2 places. The first is going through a CI closet bend with a spiral saw blade. This leader I keep straight. I have a second leader that has a bend on the end When I have to clear a bigger line through a smaller cleanout. I usually end up using the 4 bladed bit with this combo. My reasoning is that a 28 leader is cheaper than a 48 cable. I believe(no proof yet) that the bend will cause a weak spot in the cable because of the flexing.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
            I believe(no proof yet) that the bend will cause a weak spot in the cable because of the flexing.
            I've seen no evidence of a kinked leader being any weaker (bear in mind I am a drum person, may be different for you) just from having kinked it. But what I have noticed is that over time the area of the kink wears and the wire gets a flat spot in it from always rubbing the pipe. That's got to weaken it.
            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

i guess you could wait til you damage a cable or you can cut that leader in half and have 2 special augers

rick.[/QUOTE]

Sorry Rick you will have to explain this one to me, I am not the sharpest tool in the shed.
              How do you cut a cable in half and get two augers out of it?

Don't you have one female end and one male end or do you put the other cables in backwards.

Simon

Comment

Getting through 2" traps ? On My K-375 I replaced the cable with General. I have 1/2"
                cable now. What should I have for this,please ? Thanks' Tool
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by Some Day Plumbing View Post

rick.
                  Sorry Rick you will have to explain this one to me, I am not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Don't you have one female end and one male end or do you put the other cables in backwards.

Simon[/quote]

simon, you're very sharp

you got it.

one leader is 12' and the other is 2'. 1' was damaged and discarded out of the original 15' section.

yes, both leaders need to be run in reverse to actually grab and cut.

with the male leader, the cables are installed as normal.

with the female leader, the cables are reversed.

you can also run the machine from the opposite end and remain running in a forward direction.

i don't believe the motor rotation is is any faster or slower in either direction. i've run mine from both sides with good results on both.

rick.

p.s. you're from australia. you're use to doing things from the wrong side
                  phoebe it is

Comment

rick.

Simon[/quote]
                    do the water really swirl in the opposite direction when over there I heard that was just a myth can you set us straight. PS. My daughter has been pestering me for a kangaroo for Christmas. Can you give me a good reason to tell her no like it's illegal, there real dangerous anything. I have been trying to hide her kangaroo jack tape but no luck she always finds it.

Comment

I use the K-60 now, but many years ago I bought a General and it came with a trap leader. So, the first job I did with it was rodding through a CI closet bend. The end snapped right off of the thing. Since they didn't want to warranty it, I used it without the leader for the next ten years or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Rick :
                        p.s. you're from australia. you're use to doing things from the wrong side[/QUOTE]

Yes you are correct Rick we do do things wrong.
                        We drive on the wrong side of the road, you drive on the right side but hey we still get there in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Rick :
                          p.s. you're from australia. you're use to doing things from the wrong side
                          Yes you are correct Rick we do do things wrong.
                          We drive on the wrong side of the road, you drive on the right side but hey we still get there in the end.[/quote]

Please don`t get Rick started on what side of the road we drive on.

Tony

Comment

Working...
                          X