Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My review: K-7500 Drum vs. K-60 Sectional

Originally posted by HouseOfAtlas View Post
    I wish I lived in an area that had cleanouts outside or no basements where I could easily wheel a K7500 up to it.

Here in Minnesota, there are some old houses where I'd be really scared to lug a 275+ pound machine down into their basement due to the old stairs. Also, sometimes the staircases are just too narrow for a big drum. Those houses are rare, but they are out there. I guess I could tell them I could dig a huge 10' deep hole in their front yard and they can use that money tree in their backyard to pay me.

Plus, I bet it is a ton of fun lugging a 275+ pound machine in snow and on icy sidewalks.

I've helped a few drain guys haul down drum machines on nice wooden stairs. One homeowner cringed while watching us, probably hoping there would be no scuff marks or dents in the stairs.
    You make some good points Atlas. Around here, we have a lot of old houses with no cleanouts, and difficult access points. If I can't sell a cleanout on those jobs, I will either pull a toilet or break out the K-60.
    I think the K-60 is a great machine, and very versatile.
    I bet someday, even Steve will get one just to have for the roof-jobs, etc.
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I would use one for roofs but I`m not a roofer
      I do pipe up to roof vents but I don't like getting on roof`s!!!!!!!

On the other hand, If and I do say "IF" the real sewer guys out there value their time and quality of life they will sell C/O`s. We as sewer guy`s owe it to our costumers to bring them up to date. It`s all about our health and their health to be up to date to make it as safe as we can make it for all involved.

Money is one thing, but our safety and their safety must come first!

How much money are you gonna make if you fall?????????????? Not enough!

Never the less I will own one soon but I really don't need one but I do come to some places that it would come in handy for that once in a while deal
      Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 11-26-2008, 11:45 PM.
      http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

I agree 100% Allclear. An accessible cleanout outside at ground level is CODE-REQUIRED for a reason. I sell new sewers whenever I see an old, decrepit, root-infested sewerline. But if they can't afford a new sewer, a new code-required cleanout is a something everyone should have.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
          code-required cleanout is a something everyone should have.
          Yep Yep!!!

Comment

Yeah right, if I had praised the K-60 as the winner, your response here would be completely different and everyone here knows that.
            at least with the k-60 you had a year or so of use with it.

the 7500 is a day of use. not much of a variety of job conditions.

do me a favor and remove the k-60 from your truck for a couple months. then tell me you don't miss it.

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
            I think this topic has all the credibility in the world as he`s used other drum machines and he likes the K-7500 best.

Now if we want to talk credibility,
            I really don't know anyone on this fourm that clears as many drains/sewers as I do each day. Rick can talk all the smack he wants about how he`s a God but he`s never worn-out a K-7500 in just 2 years. I was rebuilding the machine after the first year and bought a new one after the second year. I`m talking brushes and feeder tubes flat worn-out. The cable is sticking through the feeder tube right now

Now when Rick can show me this much uses in just 2 years he will have credibility, till then I`ll just keep my A$$ off
            lets see i've been cleaning drain since i was 12.5 and that was 33 years ago. i wore out and sold 2- 750 and now own 3 more 750 and 2 -7500 a couple general machine and a spartan 300.
            if i was a nice guy, i would show you a simple way to prevent the wear and tear on the guide tube and auto feeder. you could start with 100' of cable and not the 125' that you stuff in.

not to mention all the extra sectionals machines along with hand guns and 6 plus jetters.
            i rather doubt the few years you've been in business is going to compare to the 33 years of time i've got in

next you're going to tell me you've jetted more in the 2 years you've owned a jetter that's been out of commission more than in service

remember i've been licensed since 1981 @18 years old. so the younger 5 years was just summers and weekends.

last time i checked i have well into 1200 different customers. not invoices, but customers in 9 years of computer database.

remember that drains make up 50-75% of my current work. the rest is typical plumbing.

match 33 years with a license for 27+ years and then we can compare

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Rick do I need to post my first card again??????? do I need to repost my University -Degree in plumbing science again?

Where is your proof of your 1981 license

I showed you mine from 1986

It`s not my first rodeo

I see hacks and have done work for hacks that had been licensed longer than you claim. Just because you claim you`ve been licensed since 1981 dosent mean anything to me I dont think anyone could have been a master licensed plumber at 18 but it`s your story and you can tell it any way you want
              Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 11-27-2008, 12:06 AM.

Comment

Rick, the K-60 is in my shop right now. But only due to saving truck-space. You are right, one of these days I am going to need it, and I'll be hauling back to my shop to get it.
                Right now, I do mostly plumbing repairs and small drain-cleaning. Sewer-cleaning is only around 15% of my calls. Someday, if I play my cards right, I'll be doing 75%+ sewer work, and when that day comes my Van will have all my sewer equipment on it, 24/7!
                The K-60 hasn't seen its last days of glory at Reliance Plumbing, it will see plenty of action in the future, I'm sure.
                Last edited by Service Guy; 11-27-2008, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Oh great, Steve and Rick are butting egos again. C'mon guys, you are BOTH my mentors when it comes to drain-cleaning. I would be honored to work a day in the trenches with either one of you! We turd-herders need to stick together, not fight about who is the best.

Comment

I agree 100% Allclear. An accessible cleanout outside at ground level is CODE-REQUIRED for a reason. I sell new sewers whenever I see an old, decrepit, root-infested sewerline. But if they can't afford a new sewer, a new code-required cleanout is a something everyone should have.
                    A totally off-topic question. Why an outside cleanout? Is there any other reason aside from less mess? In my house I have only an inside cleanout in the laundry room [actually two]. There is about 15' of 4" copper inside which transitions to 6" CI for 25 ft. If the whole system is backed up, it seems like there is an almost equal chance of it being outside in the CI or inside in the copper, and it seems that you would be easier if your CO was upstream from the blockage?

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                      A totally off-topic question. Why an outside cleanout? Is there any other reason aside from less mess? In my house I have only an inside cleanout in the laundry room [actually two]. There is about 15' of 4" copper inside which transitions to 6" CI for 25 ft. If the whole system is backed up, it seems like there is an almost equal chance of it being outside in the CI or inside in the copper, and it seems that you would be easier if your CO was upstream from the blockage?
                      Good point, CPW. Codes vary by region. Some areas require one outside. But some simply require an accessible cleanout at the base of the sewer drain. So an inside, ground-level, accessible cleanout would be sufficient.
                      Last edited by Service Guy; 11-27-2008, 12:17 AM.

Comment

2006 NCPC 708.3.5
                        Building drain and sewer junction.

There shall be a cleanout near the junction of the building drain and the building sewer. The cleanout shall be outside the building wall and shall be brought up to finished ground level.

Code required here in North Carolina and most IPC states. Its for safe, sanitary access reasons.

Comment

just because it's required does not mean that people are willing to spend $500-1000+ to install a c/o.

if everything had a required c/o, then i wouldn't need to go on a roof, pull a toilet or stress the need for a machine that can do it all.

\
                          a c/o is always a nice thing to have. but if everyone had a required c/o, then anyone can clean a drain.

knowing how sewers are installed in the first place, gives us plumbers the heads up on what is going on.

i don't push c/o's. i suggest them after there is no other way or there is a pattern/ track record of problems.

if i pushed for required stuff, i would be carrying a code book into every home i visit.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Our rule was we would only go on the roof once. The next time they called us if we had not installed a cleanout we would not go out.

Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                              just because it's required does not mean that people are willing to spend $500-1000+ to install a c/o.

if everything had a required c/o, then i wouldn't need to go on a roof, pull a toilet or stress the need for a machine that can do it all.

\
                              a c/o is always a nice thing to have. but if everyone had a required c/o, then anyone can clean a drain.

knowing how sewers are installed in the first place, gives us plumbers the heads up on what is going on.

i don't push c/o's. i suggest them after there is no other way or there is a pattern/ track record of problems.

if i pushed for required stuff, i would be carrying a code book into every home i visit.

rick.
                              Rick, you may be a better plumber than me, but I could teach you a thing or two about salesmanship.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                                Our rule was we would only go on the roof once. The next time they called us if we had not installed a cleanout we would not go out.

Mark
                                Good rule, I think I will use that one too. It makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                                X